Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone as Key Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have two Tesla’s in your account, the phone key will only work if the app is switched to the correct vehicle. I find this very annoying. Why can’t Tesla fix this?
Because they are attempting to use your phone as your car key without addressing many of the predictable issues this system would create. They'll fix it when they offer the fob. That's the only way to make the entry system fully reliable.

So it remains 100% opening success rate, with 1 time it took a long time. and then 1 nonstart issue, resolved with BT toggle. That 1 nonstart issue was the first problem since June 5.

My experience is similar. Using Essential phone now on Android 9.
I keep my keycard in the same retractable holder with my work keycard, so I always carry both (plus phone and wallet.)

I haven't used the keycard for my model 3 since, I don't remember when. (Maybe three times since I picked up the car 2018-05-18).

As far back as I can remember in the last months:
  • Usually it opens after holding the driver handle at most a second or two.
  • Occasionally I have held as long as five or ten seconds.
  • Once I had to release and pull the driver handle again.
  • Once I had success only after toggling Bluetooth.
  • Once I needed to resort to toggling airplane mode.
  • Once I experienced the fabled demand for keycard before driving. I used the phone | app | controls | start, and left the keycard in my pocket.
  • If I start climate when I start my after work walk to car, the door will open immediately.
Other observations:
  • When in doubt open drivers door, since screen provides feedback (keycard instructions) prior to door opening.
  • When screen flips from keycard instructions to normal display, I know the door is about to open.
  • Very recently I have observed that adjusting where I am standing makes a difference. My phone is in right front jeans pocket, and success is quicker when pocket/phone is right under B pillar or under center of trunk. Occasionally when waiting, it seems if I move slightly left, success is then immediate.
While I will be happy for others to have a fob (so I can stop reading about complaints ;-), I don't think I am interested even if it should be free. I have enough things in my pockets and a fob would only make my mental checklist longer.

edit:formatting

Last edited:
So I did a little bit of experimentation, and at least with iPhone, it seems that the phone key is very susceptible to signal attenuation.

The simplest way to see this in effect is to put the phone in the back pocket of my jeans and stand facing the car directly; in my own experimentation, the signal is weak enough that the car doesn't notice and I cannot unlock the doors. Turning so that I'm no longer a giant bag of water blocking the Bluetooth signal beween my phone and the B pillar, the car sees the phone again and connects.

After doing this, I realized that all the times I've been unable to unlock my M3, I've had my messenger bag with my phone in it slung around behind me. Now that I swing it to carry on the side as I approach the car, I've had 100% success unlocking.

This isn't to say it fixes all problems—not like offering a key fob would—but it might alleviate them somewhat.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
So I did a little bit of experimentation, and at least with iPhone, it seems that the phone key is very susceptible to signal attenuation.

The simplest way to see this in effect is to put the phone in the back pocket of my jeans and stand facing the car directly; in my own experimentation, the signal is weak enough that the car doesn't notice and I cannot unlock the doors. Turning so that I'm no longer a giant bag of water blocking the Bluetooth signal beween my phone and the B pillar, the car sees the phone again and connects.

After doing this, I realized that all the times I've been unable to unlock my M3, I've had my messenger bag with my phone in it slung around behind me. Now that I swing it to carry on the side as I approach the car, I've had 100% success unlocking.

This isn't to say it fixes all problems—not like offering a key fob would—but it might alleviate them somewhat.

It's a good observation, but one that's been around for a while and mentioned a few months ago in one of these phone key threads. For me, it doesn't seem to increase my chances of opening the car. As much as I can, I hold my phone out toward the car when walking up to it and still way too many times it will fail to open.

The human sized waterbag attenuation issue is a problem with bluetooth. As a fob would be bluetooth as well, I don't think it would help in that respect.

Reactions: theblindtree
The human sized waterbag attenuation issue is a problem with bluetooth. As a fob would be bluetooth as well, I don't think it would help in that respect.
That's been my thinking since the talk of a fob has started - it would still need to use Bluetooth. I'm sure the pairing issue might be a bit resolved, but I'm not convinced that it would be the immediate/100% solution people are looking for. I personally would rather the phone issue get better. As it stands, my Pixel XL only occasionally prefers I power on the screen or very rarely (deep sleep) unlock the phone. Getting it to not have to do that would be nice but not a deal breaker to need a fob I have to carry around.

I would say the Android 9.0 Pie update has really helped my Pixel 1. Getting the 26.3 update may have helped too. I can't really say because they both happened within a few days of each other. I haven't been on here complaining about the phone key in the past few weeks because it's actually working--almost to the point where I no long worry about the car unlocking. However, every once in a while I can't get into the car while dealing with my kids and grocery bags and it makes me curse the whole phone key thing again. The difference, though, is that I don't have to do anything on the phone like toggle Bluetooth or airplane mode to get it working. If I continue to hold the handle open, the connection gets made and it works within about 10-15 seconds.

I still have my Tasker profile to toggle Bluetooth on/off every hour, and battery optimization off for the Tesla app and every Bluetooth service on the phone. I'd estimate it's at 98-99% reliability now, which is much better than a few months ago. I'm been hoping for a fob for a while too, but if it continues to work like this, I might not bother. Not carrying any keys around is really nice.

Phone key still going strong now, so there's definitely been improvement and I still think it's both the Android 9 update (since my smart watch is still connected consistently compared to before). I've never had to toggle my bluetooth anymore and on the times the car doesn't open is usually when I leave the car and come back in a few minutes to get something again. But I just have to wake the phone up and wait while holding the handle for the car to unlock again.

It's pretty nice that I don't have to toggle the bluetooth now and if anything, waking the phone resolves the issue on the recent walk away / auto lock and coming back to unlock again.

I used to restart my phone every morning before heading to the car so I would know it'd unlock for sure.. glad thats over with lol.

Is there a different issue involved between car unlocking and car not starting (i.e. screen staying black, no a/c when door opens, pressing brake does nothing)?

My car instantly unlocks pretty much every time I try with my iphone X; however, there are numerous times lately I get in and nothing - screen black, brake doesn't "start car," no a/c. Usually if I wait a bit, the screen starts up (sometimes with the T logo like it rebooted??).

That would make sense, as the persistent notification would be able to ensure the background service that provides the 'key' continued running.

This. On Android, the persistent notification applications are given high background task priority. This enables the Tesla app to avoid battery optimizations and other sleep modes, and ensure it's always listening on the BT connection. I'm virtually certain Tesla reengineered the Android app to do this to improve the phone key performance.

Greetings

Please add me to the list of those wishing that they had a key fob for their model 3. We have both an S and a 3. My wife drives the 3 and continually complains about the issues related to the phone and the card. This system is a pain in the rear compared to using the fob that came with the model s. It all seems "cool" in writing, but it is very cumbersome annoying and irksome to use in real life.

Dear Elon..... PLEASE offer us a key fob for the Model 3. I am tired of listening to my wife complain about it to me and our friends. She compliments the car and is a huge fan of the HVAC system, but somehow all discussions of the car revert back to the access problems. This is not good for me, for Tesla or for my TSLA stock!
thanks

CGW

This. On Android, the persistent notification applications are given high background task priority. This enables the Tesla app to avoid battery optimizations and other sleep modes, and ensure it's always listening on the BT connection. I'm virtually certain Tesla reengineered the Android app to do this to improve the phone key performance.
Does the persistent notification only pop if you are using phone key? I have my Moto X4 logged into my Tesla account, but no notification...

Seems to not appear on my Nougat phone, as far as I can tell persistent notifications are supported on Nougat (as other apps seem to use them). Curious why this is.

Though lately since I go ahead and open my phone up so it's awake as I approach the car most of my failures are the car staying in deep sleep, and having to press the door handle and wait several seconds for the car to wake.

Greetings

Please add me to the list of those wishing that they had a key fob for their model 3. We have both an S and a 3. My wife drives the 3 and continually complains about the issues related to the phone and the card. This system is a pain in the rear compared to using the fob that came with the model s. It all seems "cool" in writing, but it is very cumbersome annoying and irksome to use in real life.

Dear Elon..... PLEASE offer us a key fob for the Model 3. I am tired of listening to my wife complain about it to me and our friends. She compliments the car and is a huge fan of the HVAC system, but somehow all discussions of the car revert back to the access problems. This is not good for me, for Tesla or for my TSLA stock!
thanks

CGW

Considering Tesla relies on word of mouth... as more people realize how bad the phone as key is, it will not bode well for the car’s reputation. Time to get us a fob Elon!!

Reactions: N5329K and kavyboy