Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the new approach i am trying is this:
1. if the side windows are more than half the length of the car, it is an x. the 3's side windows are around 50% the length of the car, and the s the side windows are less than 50% of the length of the car.

2. if not an x, if the side window is about twice the length from the front bumper to the top/center of the hood, it is a 3. on the x the side window is just a little larger than the hood. the relative difference is pretty clear in you aerial photo.

using this approach i am sadly finding few 3's i feel good about confirming in the video footage. one example is in the attached image. you can check for yourself, i think.

the yellow is the side window (side mirror covers part of it). that is clearly not more than half the green line, which is the length of the car. so it's not an x. the yellow line for the side windows is about 2x the red line for the bumper-to-hood, so it's not an s. this is a 3.

for comparison, the white car behind it is an s. the side windows are less than half the length of the car (so not an x), and the bumper-to-hood is about the size of the side window (not a 3). and you can measure it is longer too.

tesla_factory.jpg

i am open to knowing how wrong my interpretations may be.

Good find on the pic, but I'm also unable to convince myself even when I pull a screenshot from the 2160p resolution video. There just aren't enough pixels to get a clear view of that small space. I don't think the 'draw a line' test works, since the line's relative size would change with each car's position relative to the drone. But the biggest reason I don't think there are a lot of 3s in there is that we'd expect to see a fairly large percentage of them have the 18" aero wheels, which are the easiest giveaway of a 3 from a distance since they are so much darker than most S/X wheels and have a 'fuller' dark pattern, if that wording makes sense..

Edit - Here's an aerial view of X/S/3 next to one another from Motor Trend, in case it helps any sleuths here...
View attachment 249204

Last edited:
i am starting to doubt the picture i posted identifying 3's - i think i may have identified s's instead. will post if i can figure anything out. sorry and thanks for your patience with me.

Think so. The simplest way I can discern between the X and the other cars is that the front wheels are partially under the leading edge of the windshield.

The Model S's have a space of perhaps 10" between the leading edge of the windshield and the trailing edge of the front tire. The 3's windshield/tire spacing seems to be about halfway, where the trailing edge of the tire is almost aligned, or within only a couple of inches of the windshield's leading edge.

With that said, you can't "unsee" the difference between X's and S's in that photo, but rally hard to see anything I'd call a 3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course - this isn't going to stop me from squinting and playing "spot the 3" some more this evening!

Thanks!

Reactions: TMSE
the new approach i am trying is this:
1. if the side windows are more than half the length of the car, it is an x. the 3's side windows are around 50% the length of the car, and the s the side windows are less than 50% of the length of the car.

2. if not an x, if the side window is about twice the length from the front bumper to the top/center of the hood, it is a 3. on the x the side window is just a little larger than the hood. the relative difference is pretty clear in you aerial photo.

using this approach i am sadly finding few 3's i feel good about confirming in the video footage. one example is in the attached image. you can check for yourself, i think.

the yellow is the side window (side mirror covers part of it). that is clearly not more than half the green line, which is the length of the car. so it's not an x. the yellow line for the side windows is about 2x the red line for the bumper-to-hood, so it's not an s. this is a 3.

for comparison, the white car behind it is an s. the side windows are less than half the length of the car (so not an x), and the bumper-to-hood is about the size of the side window (not a 3). and you can measure it is longer too.

View attachment 249238

i am open to knowing how wrong my interpretations may be.

Oh - I think you're right! I also think that if we combine methods, we'll find lots more 3's!

ok, here's what i think are some 3's. notice the row with the red lines - the red lines are both the same size. you can see the white x (labeled in the photo) - it is clearly longer than the silver car to the right (labeled as a 3). you can see the hood of the 3 (green line) is about half the length of the side window.

on the next row with orange lines the distance would change slightly so i used the orange lines to measure the vehicles. again see the 3, hood-to-bumper about half the length of the side window. see the x is clearly longer than the 3.

i hope this helps someone else figure out something useful, as i am barely useful.
tesla_factory.jpg

Think so. The simplest way I can discern between the X and the other cars is that the front wheels are partially under the leading edge of the windshield.

The Model S's have a space of perhaps 10" between the leading edge of the windshield and the trailing edge of the front tire. The 3's windshield/tire spacing seems to be about halfway, where the trailing edge of the tire is almost aligned, or within only a couple of inches of the windshield's leading edge.

With that said, you can't "unsee" the difference between X's and S's in that photo, but rally hard to see anything I'd call a 3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course - this isn't going to stop me from squinting and playing "spot the 3" some more this evening!

Thanks!

ok, here's what i think are some 3's. notice the row with the red lines - the red lines are both the same size. you can see the white x (labeled in the photo) - it is clearly longer than the silver car to the right (labeled as a 3). you can see the hood of the 3 (green line) is about half the length of the side window.

on the next row with orange lines the distance would change slightly so i used the orange lines to measure the vehicles. again see the 3, hood-to-bumper about half the length of the side window. see the x is clearly longer than the 3.

i hope this helps someone else figure out something useful, as i am barely useful.
View attachment 249245

Can someone hack into Elon’s satellite to get a close up on the VIN’s?

View attachment 249245

White looks like the most popular color, 20 out of 63 in this pic (can't tell black and grey, look the same)

Two enhanced pics. That's the best I can do without wasting too much time ;)

View attachment 249269
View attachment 249270
I think most of these are MS/X. Looking at the close-up picture, one feature I notice is the angle of the top edge of the headlights. Both MS/X the angle points right at the top of the front wheel well, while the M3 points at the base of the wind shield:

upload_2017-9-22_14-22-45.png

The 2nd enhanced picture (emboss effect?) is especially useful since it outlines the headlights very well, and on most of those that have the headlight outline, it's clear that they are pointing at the wheel well.

View attachment 249270

Status
Not open for further replies.