Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think we're even on the same planet on this issue.

You and others seem to think it acceptable that a mass market automobile should be required to have aftermarket modifications so the tires don't come apart?!?

Really?

Frankly, it is a patently absurd position to take.

I expect Tesla and Michelin to get to the bottom of the problem on new production MS's, and for Michelin to continue to replace ALL of the 21" OEM tires that continue to fail with inner sidewall/tread separation.

That so many people here expect "Joe Public" to just randomly know they supposedly need to modify their suspensions (and remove warranty coverage for same) is mind blowing.

I just expect OEM Michelin's tires to NOT come apart, like the OEM Pirelli tires that don't . . . .
And I recommend that you set your rear toe at 0.2-0.25 each side to combat the dynamic toe instead of setting them merely“in spec”. No aftermarket equipment needed.

Reactions: Sam1 and AAKEE
You're starting to enter the weirdo zone dude. A lot of time on the www pulpit with little to no real action. lol

Those, like myself, who choose to remedy the rear T2 PS4S excessive inner wear problem with an aftermarket solution is NOT a tacit acceptance that Tesla's not at fault. They served us a sht sandwich, period.

So speaking for myself, action #1, I'm OK w/ taking matters in my own hands by spending $2K to never have to think about it again. I'm not going to sit idle and hope some keyboard jockeying on the internet will inspire Elon's crew to step up for a model that impacts maybe 2% of overall vehicle sales. Action #2, my first Tesla/MSP will be my last, but more so because Tesla service sucks (another topic).

Let's be clear that there is a net benefit of having full control over rear camber with adjustable arms. OCD me likes being able to dial it in to my exacting desires. My 10K miles young PS4Ss look as sexy as ever matched with my forged N2itives!
Thank you for sharing.

However, on the contrary to your post, I post on this thread often with one major goal: to try to get as many NHTSA Defect forms submitted as possible on what is NOT tire wear, but a tire defect.

Realistically, the vast majority of people with their sidewall/tread separation will just get new tires (at over $1k) and just move on--it takes a few minutes to fill out the form and most either don't know why this is so important, or won't make the time.

I hope the increased interest here will get more forms submitted as expecting Plaid owners to be "OCD enough" to buy and install 3rd party/aftermarket suspension equipment remains absurd. (And, given Tesla's new emphasis on lousy customer service, it would then open the door for Tesla to drop warranty coverage for the suspension due to modifications . . . yeah, I'll pass.)

Especially as these 1,020 hp Plaids enter the hands of second and third+ owners we will likely find ourselves reading headlines related to high-speed accidents due to tire failures, not too dissimilar to the Ford/Firestone fiasco. Yet this would be prevented if NHTSA would just open an investigation and force Michelin and Tesla to get this problem resolved, but here we are. And on this forum it's all about pushback for arguing for tires that do NOT physically come apart after 4k to 10k miles of use . . . .

Odd. Very odd.

Details for those unfamiliar with the stunning levels of ineptitude in the previous tire fiasco. But perhaps you are correct: at this rate it appears there won't be any movement until there are body bags in the hundreds again? Let's try to avoid that, shall we?

Reactions: sonofagunn
Thank you for sharing.

However, on the contrary to your post, I post on this thread often with one major goal: to try to get as many NHTSA Defect forms submitted as possible on what is NOT tire wear, but a tire defect.

Realistically, the vast majority of people with their sidewall/tread separation will just get new tires (at over $1k) and just move on--it takes a few minutes to fill out the form and most either don't know why this is so important, or won't make the time.

I hope the increased interest here will get more forms submitted as expecting Plaid owners to be "OCD enough" to buy and install 3rd party/aftermarket suspension equipment remains absurd. (And, given Tesla's new emphasis on lousy customer service, it would then open the door for Tesla to drop warranty coverage for the suspension due to modifications . . . yeah, I'll pass.)

Especially as these 1,020 hp Plaids enter the hands of second and third+ owners we will likely find ourselves reading headlines related to high-speed accidents due to tire failures, not too dissimilar to the Ford/Firestone fiasco. Yet this would be prevented if NHTSA would just open an investigation and force Michelin and Tesla to get this problem resolved, but here we are. And on this forum it's all about pushback for arguing for tires that do NOT physically come apart after 4k to 10k miles of use . . . .

Odd. Very odd.

Details for those unfamiliar with the stunning levels of ineptitude in the previous tire fiasco. But perhaps you are correct: at this rate it appears there won't be any movement until there are body bags in the hundreds again? Let's try to avoid that, shall we?

How about if Tesla revised the rear toe specification and aligned your car to it instead?

Thank you for sharing.

Odd. Very odd.

Most of us are very familiar with it, but we understand this is not a tire delamination issue like with Firestone, it's an excess wear issue.

Also in this post you again claim it's a tire defect, but just a few posts back you say Tesla and Michelin need to figure out what's happening. It sounds like you already know what's happening...or maybe you don't since no one of importance is listening.

One of the major issues I see with your big bird sized red herring argument, is that when you run around screaming about things that are obviously inaccurate, it detracts from future issues when someone voices a legitimate concern.

Also, were you able to find any instance at all showing the same wear from anyone that has an aftermarket solution and a proper alignment yet? Still patiently waiting... Because investigating a problem involves research from any aspect of the matter and not just making an assertion then relying on confirmation bias to support that assertion.

Thank you for sharing.

Odd. Very odd.

The Firestone tires were defective and separating, this was occurring mostly on the rear of high profile vehicles. Flat tire happens, the driver slams on the brakes, it skids, and then goes into a ditch and rolls. Ford didn't do much about it, not a design flaw on Fords part but they did overlook the problem. This was a tire problem.

Tesla model S with 21s is pretty clearly an alignment issue not a tire issue, I know Michelin has replaced some tires, might be to save face or the relaationship and their own reputation. The specs are way more aggressive then needed or more than other factory performance cars. It could be that Tesla has aggressive rear camber to help the car to not over steer on aggressive throttle inputs in a corner, maybe the setting avoids more accidents then we know but then you have the inside rear tire wear problem. If a worn tire blows out, whos fault is that? Maybe the owner should have been watching the tires more closely. That is way different then the firestone tires, that looked perfect but blew out.

I suspect musk had aggressive settings for bragging rights and faster lap times. A little less camber in back and some toe in will make the car slower at the limit or on the track but will save tire wear, that is really the solution and I suspect tesla will go that direction.

Last edited:
My 21s showed signs of wear, unfortunately I'm unsure of the miles that were on them as I bought the car used. These are my 19s after 10k miles. Just a rim/tire swap. Same alignment and all, on the side cameras they look like they are sitting at a pretty significant angle, but happy with the wear so far.

Attachments

• 20240611_081126.jpg
    20240611_081126.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240611_081356.jpg
    20240611_081356.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 3
The pain continues. Replaced 2 front tires today. -1.3° camber each side and -0.06 toe each side (in low and lowered 10mm). They both looked like this pic. I did not expect that wear. Time to look at more suspension parts.

Attachments

• IMG_9394.jpeg
    IMG_9394.jpeg
    671.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The pain continues. Replaced 2 front tires today. -1.3° camber each side and -0.06 toe each side (in low and lowered 10mm). They both looked like this pic. I did not expect that wear. Time to look at more suspension parts.
Do you really mean -0.06 toe, negative value?

Toe in is positive and toe out is negative.

Negative camber together with (negative toe) toe out is not a good idea.

Reactions: lbowroom
How about if Tesla revised the rear toe specification and aligned your car to it instead?
Okay, I'll bite.

Assuming your proposed solution is correct and will address/prevent these chronic Michelin tire failures, Tesla will do that because: ___________________________________ ?

Tesla and Michelin seem locked into a scenario where the only way things will change is if the NHTSA forces them to make a change.

Thus, in nearly every other post here I beg the thousands that have had to replace their tires due to the inner sidewall/tread separation submit a claim to NHTSA so as to add to their growing pile of safety complaints.

Likewise, a formal warranty complaint to Michelin resulted in new tires from Michelin--perhaps that will get the accounting department to raise a red flag to someone at Michelin that THERE IS A PROBLEM?

Either way, these steps require people that give a damn and that can project how the status quo/do nothing approach will not end well; please be one of them.

Thanks.

And:

Reactions: Bull
Lots of camber there and zero excess wear 👍
Camber's been at a pretty reasonable ~1.3 and total toe .30 - will do another check at 20K miles!
For the 58th time, pretty much everyone's rear tires look like that, until the tread separates from the inner sidewall, an area that is very, very hard to see.

This is not shown in the photographs.

How many miles of use will deem wear to be not “excessive” in your eyes?

This is how the inner side of my rear looked after a couple of thousand km. Clearly excessive wear in the corner of the thread and side wall.
Than I made a wheel alignment in low with spefific requests to the settings.
In low my MSP had toe out.
It was set to +0°15’ on each side, for a total of 0°30’ total toe in.
Stock parts so the camber is -1°48 Left and -1°30’ Right.

After this the wear on the inside has not gotten worse, not even after playing on a closed runway strip in dragstrip mode and using Dragy.
It is easy to see the amount of bad wear on the shoulder, and it has stayed the same.

I use 15mm spacers, which would reduce the load on bushings in the toe link etc, so the forces possibly bending by reducing the ET if it is like some hear states, that high torque causes toe out.

I did run my M3P lowered 35mm and had around 1°30’ negative camber rear on both sides, very close to the right side on my MSP. The toe was identically set up, 0°14’ per side on the M3P,
After 66K km I had seen that it was not a big issue with either pirelli P Zero elect och michelin PS4S on that car.
The tyres did wear slightly more on the inside, but did not require any change until the whole thread needed to be changed.

Attachments

• IMG_5682.jpeg
    IMG_5682.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: byeLT4 and Sam1
Okay, I'll bite.

Assuming your proposed solution is correct and will address/prevent these chronic Michelin tire failures, Tesla will do that because: ___________________________________ ?

Tesla and Michelin seem locked into a scenario where the only way things will change is if the NHTSA forces them to make a change.

Thus, in nearly every other post here I beg the thousands that have had to replace their tires due to the inner sidewall/tread separation submit a claim to NHTSA so as to add to their growing pile of safety complaints.

Likewise, a formal warranty complaint to Michelin resulted in new tires from Michelin--perhaps that will get the accounting department to raise a red flag to someone at Michelin that THERE IS A PROBLEM?

Either way, these steps require people that give a damn and that can project how the status quo/do nothing approach will not end well; please be one of them.

Thanks.

And:

You seem completely disinterested in actually understanding why your tires fail or how to prevent it.