Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are on to something. Maybe Michelin and pirelli really do not know what is going on and it is Goodyear pulling the strings.

Tire Rack is in on it too.
After I had installed adjustable camber & toe arms, Tire Rack now ships me their good Michelins that don't have inner edge wear issues.

All valid points here. I think the confusion is that tires under 21” don’t under most circumstances show the same accelerated wear from the factory S suspension geometry. Many will take that as the 21 and 22” tires the S and (X 22”) use have defect or engineering issues.

While I can’t proclaim 100% they don’t, I can definitely say that 19” tires aren’t as stiff and their taller side walls have much more give which allows them to survive longer with excessive negative camber and maybe even a bit of negative toe out.

Whatever the final outcome, Tesla should have adjustable rear camber from the factory and a spec that takes into consideration all tire sizes that are applicable to use. One huge alignment spec just doesn’t work between 19, 20, 21 and 22” tires. To complicate this even more, air suspension is a tricky ever changing geometry as it changes heights and so does the triangle of suspension geometry.

Tire Rack is in on it too.
After I had installed adjustable camber & toe arms, Tire Rack now ships me their good Michelins that don't have inner edge wear issues.

Actual leaked photo of the tire rack rep testing Michelins for potential inner tire wear:

hqdefault.jpg

Odd how so many here post such silly garbage when we're dealing with a potentially fatal tire defect.

Perhaps after we have some "tire failure at high speed" accidents with injuries or fatalities they'll treat this major safety defect with more seriousness?

It might take a few months or years, but when things start going badly they can really pile up fast; tires are far more complicated than most realize:

Odd how so many here post such silly garbage when we're dealing with a potentially fatal tire defect.

Perhaps after we have some "tire failure at high speed" accidents with injuries or fatalities they'll treat this major safety defect with more seriousness?

It might take a few months or years, but when things start going badly they can really pile up fast; tires are far more complicated than most realize:

This has been going on for years. How many more years do we need to wait? Just because you became aware of it recently, doesn't mean it's a new issue.

Don Quixote attacking the Michelin windmill. I'd be more willing to believe that this is a Michelin defect issue if there was a more apples-to-apples comparison of the 21" Michelins vs 21" Pirellis or some other brand in the same size. I can think of lots of potential reasons why we would see these failures happening to 21s vs 19s.

Reactions: headcase
Don Quixote attacking the Michelin windmill. I'd be more willing to believe that this is a Michelin defect issue if there was a more apples-to-apples comparison of the 21" Michelins vs 21" Pirellis or some other brand in the same size. I can think of lots of potential reasons why we would see these failures happening to 21s vs 19s.
Yeah, the conspiracy theories are getting tiresome (pun intended).

Reactions: supermac
It would be super awesome if Tesla could afford to hire a suspension engineer from Porsche or BMW so the vibrations, shaking, shuddering, and insanely premature rear tire wear could be fixed.

Must be a harder engineering problem than landing rockets because these have been consistent themes for the past decade with these cars.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
It would be super awesome if Tesla could afford to hire a suspension engineer from Porsche or BMW so the vibrations, shaking, shuddering, and insanely premature rear tire wear could be fixed.

Must be a harder engineering problem than landing rockets because these have been consistent themes for the past decade with these cars.
It's all legacy issues they don't want to spend the money to fix. The 3/Y doesn't have these problems. S/X isn't that important anymore. I'm surprised they put as much effort as they did in refreshing them.

I just removed my N2itive lowering links in favor of getting my alignment within N2itive's specs with their rear camber arms because this tire wear issue poses a far greater risk to my safety and wallet than the front half shafts at this point. I don't know how one initiates a NTSB investigation, but this is ridiculous.

It's all legacy issues they don't want to spend the money to fix. The 3/Y doesn't have these problems. S/X isn't that important anymore. I'm surprised they put as much effort as they did in refreshing them.
Good point but I find this reasoning, if accurate, to be grossly unethical and not in line with Elon's high level of integrity to always "do the right thing".

I got my n2itive adjustable camber arms put in and it took the adjuster a while to get them to the right camber settings. i hope he didn't damage it cuz he was cranking at it. Then he wasn't able to break the lock on the toe adjustment link for the driver side. I don't know what to do now, they suggested to get new toe link arms and then they'll finish off the alignment for cheap but that's another $700-800 depending which set I go with. Should I just get another OEM replacement on eBay or try to get Tesla to do the adjustment?