Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Delivery Next Weekend with HW4 Coming Soon - Should I Delay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the delivery of my Plaid scheduled for next Saturday, Dec 17th. Obviously, no one knows the right answer but would you wait for HW4 and/or the Jan/Feb announcement that is coming? If so, how do you go about cancelling or delaying the order at this point?

The last thing I want is to spend $150K ion a car that will be outdated in a month from a hardware standpoint that cannot be upgraded at all.

Thoughts?

No. Tesla updates their cars all the time. If you wait for the next biggest and greatest change, you will never buy a Tesla. The new processors, new HD radar, new cameras, etc, are all coming. My 2020 was considered "legacy" in 1.5 years. The 2021+ will become "legacy" next year. Time marches on.

Reactions: AMPd and byeLT4
Up to you. Do you need the car? When I picked up my MX Plaid back in May, I was told you could reject 2 cars before they cancelled your order. So you could show up for the delivery, reject it, go back into production queue, do it again, then accept the 3rd car. Hopefully that would delay you long enough for the updates. Otherwise you can gamble your $250 order fee and cancel and then reorder once the changes are confirmed. Based on the macroeconomic path, I do not see a long waiting list for Plaids next year.

Also, Tesla is chronically late with everything. I toyed with delaying my order to get Matrix headlights (they were rumored to come in June/July and I was scheduled to pick up in May) but they have still not appeared. You may end up waiting a year or more for these updates.

Up to you. Do you need the car? When I picked up my MX Plaid back in May, I was told you could reject 2 cars before they cancelled your order. So you could show up for the delivery, reject it, go back into production queue, do it again, then accept the 3rd car. Hopefully that would delay you long enough for the updates. Otherwise you can gamble your $250 order fee and cancel and then reorder once the changes are confirmed. Based on the macroeconomic path, I do not see a long waiting list for Plaids next year.

Also, Tesla is chronically late with everything. I toyed with delaying my order to get Matrix headlights (they were rumored to come in June/July and I was scheduled to pick up in May) but they have still not appeared. You may end up waiting a year or more for these updates.
Agreed with the sentiment, but matrix has appeared. Not sure what you mean?

Reactions: aerodyne
Hmmm decisions, decisions. I wonder what the over/under is on Jan/Feb HW4?

I am financing 50% of the car. How does financing work if I reject/delay the order? I ordered Oct 21, 2022 and have a decent rate, terms etc with US Bank (Tesla doesn’t finance in SC).

Hmmm decisions, decisions. I wonder what the over/under is on Jan/Feb HW4?

I am financing 50% of the car. How does financing work if I reject/delay the order? I ordered Oct 21, 2022 and have a decent rate, terms etc with US Bank (Tesla doesn’t finance in SC).

Depends on the bank and how long the delay is. Worst case scenario you could reapply and take whatever rate, and then just refi when the rates go down again.

As for HW4, I have no inside information but it seems like it is first intended for the Cybertruck, being baked in from the start. Now that is delayed until the end of 2023, it's anyone's guess as to when HW4 might show up in other vehicles. One guess is it may show up in the Model 3 in Q1/Q2 as it seems to be undergoing a major design refresh, and it would be the perfect time to add it. Then again, it's unknown if the HW4 software is ready, and that could be a gating item. With supply issues, it would only take one part problem to push HW4 back, no matter what vehicle Tesla elects to first use HW4.

As one of the very first owners of a HW2 vehicle, being first is not a privilege. It’s a year-plus long pain in the ass.

Either take delivery now or wait well into the future when Tesla actually gets their sugar together for the new hardware.

Reactions: Blue Stuff