Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally 28.5" will fit which is ~724. However, this is dependent on width and offset as well. Additionally, every tire is different, even within the same Manufacturer and model. The tread on a Michelin tire specific to Tesla (TO designation) can be up to an inch wider than the same Michelin model without the TO spec.
yeah! thats why i was looking for max clearance so i could look at specific tires

After a long wait, I finally got a new 20" wheel setup for my Plaid.

The rims are flow-formed Fast Wheels FC04 in metallic black finish, specs below:
Front = 20x9.5 ET35 weighing 24.2 lbs each
Rear = 20x11 ET25 weighing 27.8 lbs each

The tires are Michelin PS4S, specs below:
Front = 275/35ZR20 XL 102(Y)
Rear = 305/30ZR20 XL 103(Y)

The rears poke out a tad more than the fronts, but Fast Wheels doesn't make that rim in 35mm offset (only 25 or 45, which would have been too far in).

But overall I think they look great, and the black metallic finish really matches the glossy "chrome delete" trim around the windows - definitely worth the ~3 week wait.

Best part: I only paid about $1,200 for the rims, including shipping from Canada and import duties! So much more affordable than forged wheels. Tires were about $1,800 total, so for $3,000 I myself got a nice set for spirited driving :)

Here are some photos from tonight:

View attachment 712981

View attachment 712982

View attachment 712983

View attachment 712984

View attachment 712985
Sorta looks like this this kinda fitment but whatever floats your boat
A676F328-84EB-4413-A2C4-AA8C9127146D.jpeg

Mounted the OEM 19s + Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. The total drop in weight is 22 lbs. The Michelins are *really* nice--if I did not have the 21s + Michelin PS4S as a comparison, then I would really be little fault to find in the AS tires--driving them back to back, the PS4S just seem a bit more planted and poised during transitions. On 0-60 runs, the 19s were 0.1 sec slower. Despite the extra rubber, the ride was never floaty--it's more like the sharp edges are taken of road imperfections--I can see a lot of folks preferring that ride over the 21s.

Tester's note: I probably should have waited until after testing to press the FSD beta button. :)

Couple of random things from playing around this weekend:
  • With the suspension set to "very high" you have a hair over 7" of ground clearance to work with for your jack, jack stand adaptor, and Tesla lifting pad adaptor
  • I noticed the Michelin PS4S are non-directional, so I guess L<->R rotations are doable, unless I am missing something (?)

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Here's a link where someone found the size of tires for the upcoming Tesla Plaid Track package and will be running 285 20"s for fronts (305s for rear).

Signature Wheel on the other thread also confirmed 285 as the widest to fit in front on 20"s.

I think its a safe bet. This is what I am planning on running - 285/20s all around. Main objective is to be able to rotate the tires and get more life out of them at the same time keeping performance high.
Staggered is best for the refresh. The car is AWD and violently torquey...don't worry about rotating. I've had 3 Teslas, all performance versions...tire tread was pretty even and I have a history of searching out Porsche Taycans to destroy.

Reactions: Phlier
Curious to hear how different the Plaid components are compared to the LR? Hopefully someone can do similar pics / write up on one soon.
They are indeed exactly the same. Part Nos confirm it and their is a Youtube video showing a breakdown of the car from underneath.... The only difference in powertrain, literally is the 3rd motor in the rear and its associated massive wiring connectors. Even the front motors are both the same WITH CARBON FIBER ROTORS.

They are indeed exactly the same. Part Nos confirm it and their is a Youtube video showing a breakdown of the car from underneath.... The only difference in powertrain, literally is the 3rd motor in the rear and its associated massive wiring connectors. Even the front motors are both the same WITH CARBON FIBER ROTORS.
The front drive unit in the LR is different than the Plaid, they have two different part numbers. The Inverters are also different.

1633226919291.png

I see Unplugged has released a rear sway bar for the Plaid.

Anyone who has added a rear sway bar to any of their cars, what did you like and dislike about it?

Is this really only for track use or are there benefits for spirited driving on the street?

I see Unplugged has released a rear sway bar for the Plaid.

Anyone who has added a rear sway bar to any of their cars, what did you like and dislike about it?

Is this really only for track use or are there benefits for spirited driving on the street?
I went for both front & rear sway bars on my M3P. It definitely eliminated the body roll when turning sharply.

With the Plaid, I don't feel much body roll at all. I think I'm going to stay away from suspension mods on this one until I get a better sense of how it behaves on the track.

Now, if UP would just ship me their Plaid brake rotors and pads already so I can book a track date ;)

The thing I do not like about increased bar stiffness on the street is the head snatch you get when one wheel goes over an imperfection (bump, pot hole) and the other wheel then gets sucked into following that input via the bar but with a time delay. Your head goes one way then back the other.

WRT bars, stiffness and the like, has anyone found which end gives up on neutral throttle? I'm a little over 8 mph over my P90DL (sport suspension) speeds in two well known sweepers and have yet to discern which end is going to give up first. I'm not sure where or how much bar may or may not be needed as I still have yet to find out which end is going to give up.

The good thing is there is a lot more mechanical grip on the refresh. Well done Tesla. The bad for me is there is less feedback which makes me tentative to push harder.

We will find out soon if this tire combo would help on the 1/4 time or it's for around track. Brook from dragtime will be putting this exact wheel/tire setup at the dragstrip later this week.

Another interesting fact is that the "load rating" from the date doesn't match any tire that's currently on the market in the same size. I'm guessing it will be T1 or T2 spec Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire. (Since it has been used on many hypercar that are capable of doing top speed over 200mph++)
Any updates on this? I am looking to buy wheels and tires from you and I am wanting to know the best 20” combo for the Plaid that puts things in this order of priority:

1) Aiding to the Fastest Acceleration
2) Ride Comfort
3) Range

A specific wheel and tire combo would be great appreciated 20” SV104 wheels for a Tesla Plaid. Fee free to PM me.