Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
again - the rumble at start and shortly after is the inverter spinning the compressor for the ashp to 100% to quickly bring up to temp the coolant for the battery as well as for cabin hvac (but my experience is that the battery conditioning is far more pronounced vibration- wise). the colder the harder and longer it will spin. also it appears the inverter is vehicle speed-aware so it doesnt spin up the compressor when the car is not moving as movement masks the vibrations and vice versa. tesla knows the vibrations are noticeable and is trying to mask them. what doesnt help is that during colder weather the compressor bushings are harder so vibrations through the steering are more noticeable.
If that’s the case then why doesn’t the 2021 S experience it?

Just purchased a used MX Plaid with 6k miles, manufactured in March 2022. I have this problem. It's annoying. Not a deal breaker, but pretty effing annoying on a 6-figure car. Question – do all MX Plaids suffer from this issue or just the select few "lucky" ones?

again - the rumble at start and shortly after is the inverter spinning the compressor for the ashp to 100% to quickly bring up to temp the coolant for the battery as well as for cabin hvac (but my experience is that the battery conditioning is far more pronounced vibration- wise). the colder the harder and longer it will spin. also it appears the inverter is vehicle speed-aware so it doesnt spin up the compressor when the car is not moving as movement masks the vibrations and vice versa. tesla knows the vibrations are noticeable and is trying to mask them. what doesnt help is that during colder weather the compressor bushings are harder so vibrations through the steering are more noticeable.
But why are LR models not affected? I would assume it's the same heat pump...

Is there any correlation to drive mode? I still think it's the heat pump trying to bring the battery and/or motors up to temp when in Plaid mode. I'm thinking that Tesla wants the battery/motors to be a little warm for Plaid but not full drag strip mode warm.

The reason I think this is that the vibration doesn't seem to be correlated with vehicle speed. It seems to happen for a specific period of time. Both of those lead me away from suspension and towards something being controlled by the car.

Reactions: henderrj
I've determined that a bunch of Plaid X owners are experiencing some sort of vibration that you can feel in the pedal during the first few mins of every drive. I don't know if any Refresh LR owners are experiencing this but if so please reply. The vibration usually lasts for a few mins or miles then seems to go away but if I stop at a store or something then get back in a start driving again, the vibration occurs again for the first few mins then goes away.

It's been happening to mine since day 1 and thought it had something to do with the suspension or just overall "warming up" of the motors but its been a few weeks since I took delivery and it hasn't gone away. I currently have 600 miles on my car.

I have mobile service coming on next week to check it out so I will report back with what they find.

Please reply below if you are experiencing this and be sure to note Plaid or LR and how many miles are currently on your car.

Hopefully it doesn't become an issue but would like to gauge how many owners are currently experiencing this. Thanks
I have just received my MXP and have exactly the same issue. Has your issue been resolved in the meantime? I am very curious if there is a fix.

Hi guys, thought I would share my experience.

I have been having this problem since I got a delivery of my 23 MX plaid. I took it into service immediately. They felt the vibration. Initially change the half shaft even the car had less than 500 miles on it. No change. Left and immediately turned around and took it back. They kept it for another day and had some sort of “regional tech” come look at it. They told me that Tesla is aware of the problem, is working on a fix. But cannot do anything for right now. . They said it was safe to take the car. I’m trying to figure out next steps with her I could get this lemon law’d or not because I don’t think that’s safe or kosher on a 150 K plus car. I had a 2018 P 100 D with 22s, I had a half shift issue initially but after a replacement never had problems again for 70,000 miles until I traded it in for this car.

I don’t necessarily care if there’s issues especially under warranty. But I do find it unacceptable when they have no fix for you. It takes away from the luxury experience and I have to assume will accelerate wear and tear, and I believe is saftey issue. And obviously my case is not isolated .

Hi guys, thought I would share my experience.

I have been having this problem since I got a delivery of my 23 MX plaid. I took it into service immediately. They felt the vibration. Initially change the half shaft even the car had less than 500 miles on it. No change. Left and immediately turned around and took it back. They kept it for another day and had some sort of “regional tech” come look at it. They told me that Tesla is aware of the problem, is working on a fix. But cannot do anything for right now. . They said it was safe to take the car. I’m trying to figure out next steps with her I could get this lemon law’d or not because I don’t think that’s safe or kosher on a 150 K plus car. I had a 2018 P 100 D with 22s, I had a half shift issue initially but after a replacement never had problems again for 70,000 miles until I traded it in for this car.

I don’t necessarily care if there’s issues especially under warranty. But I do find it unacceptable when they have no fix for you. It takes away from the luxury experience and I have to assume will accelerate wear and tear, and I believe is saftey issue. And obviously my case is not isolated .
Yep it’s rubbish but lemon law won’t apply here. There’s no safety issue.

I took delivery of a Model X Plaid late December 2022, in the first Plaid delivery wave of The Netherlands.

The car has the exact same 'issue' as described in this thread: a noticeable vibration in the 40km/h to 60km/h speed range, but only in the very first minutes of the drive.

It was suggested earlier in this thread to try different drive modes and settings. I tried starting the car in Chill, Sport, and Plaid on separate occasions, but it makes no difference.

Something tells me it's particularly noticeable in colder weather. The weather here has been in the 0 to 12 degree Celsius range, and I found it more noticeable closer towards 0 C. I could be imagining things though.

Earlier in this thread it was suggested it's likely a small pump or other small motor kicking in in the first few minutes of a drive. This sounds reasonable to me. To me it seems like something is already whirring at a certain frequency, and as the (front?) motor hits that exact frequency (in the 40-60km/h range) these two components seem to start to resonate with each other, hitting the sweet spot around 50km/h.

I'll try starting up with some different settings (e.g. no HVAC), see how it behaves.

I'm not too worried myself about wear and tear, since it sounds like many of you have the same symptom and have had the model for over a year by now.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my €0,02 from this side of the globe.

It's been 1 year since I took delivery of my Plaid MX and I still get the same behavior on every drive except that I am pretty much used to it by now. I just crossed 21000 miles and aside from needing new tires, everything about my car has been solid. No other issues to report.

As the OP, I thought I would share my experience over the past year of ownership and for the record, I still love this car and everything about it.

Reactions: henderrj
Palladium X air compressor operation and on a side note same as legacy x
The reservoir stores pressurized air for the system to use at a later time. This allows the compressor to run at different times from raising or operations. For example, the reservoir can provide pressurized air to raise an air spring, but the compressor will fill the reservoir at a high speed where the user may not notice it.

autofill.jpg

I've determined that a bunch of Plaid X owners are experiencing some sort of vibration that you can feel in the pedal during the first few mins of every drive. I don't know if any Refresh LR owners are experiencing this but if so please reply. The vibration usually lasts for a few mins or miles then seems to go away but if I stop at a store or something then get back in a start driving again, the vibration occurs again for the first few mins then goes away.

It's been happening to mine since day 1 and thought it had something to do with the suspension or just overall "warming up" of the motors but its been a few weeks since I took delivery and it hasn't gone away. I currently have 600 miles on my car.

I have mobile service coming on next week to check it out so I will report back with what they find.

Please reply below if you are experiencing this and be sure to note Plaid or LR and how many miles are currently on your car.

Hopefully it doesn't become an issue but would like to gauge how many owners are currently experiencing this. Thanks

This is interesting thread. I also have noticed strange vibration when i start driving and then it fades away a little bit.
And it is from 30-50 mph (50-80 kmh). It gets better after hmmm 5-10 minutes.

But i also have different huge issue.
I have loud clicking sound when i turn my steering wheel to any of the side but more at the right side, and then when i drive backwards.
It happens also when i drive forward and turn steering wheel right or left but it is much quieter.
Then when i accelerate towards fast i also have some vibrations and also some clicking sound.
This is Model X Plaid 2022 - i have it like 2 weeks and it is happening from the beginning.

1. Anyone knows if i can normally drive or should i not drive at all and wait for service ?
2. Do you know guys if mobile service can solve this (is it some simple repair or major one ?)
Regarding my issue (similar one). I took Model X Plaid to tesla service and both HalfShafts were replaced. Also their mechanic told me that this happens to all model S and X due to bad design of those shafts (or rather too big power of Plaid). They advice not to speed up drastically when wheels are turned to left or right and suspension is high+. I did not do that, i just received my Plaid with broken halfshafts. Anyway they replaced it for free and my problem is solved.
But regarding the main problem about vibrations. Replacing halfshafts did not fixed the vibration problem and they did not tell me anything about it.
Anyway it is in deed annoying as the M3 and MY did not had this problem and a lot of more expensive car has those vibrations :(
I guess, some soft updates or maybe fix in future ?
I will report this problem again to tesla if i will be replacing steering wheel to the normal one... maybe.