Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The problem with elections is that no matter who you vote for, a politician wins" --unknown

I honestly don't expect much. The election campaign was so long, and there were so many promises thrown out by all parties, that we know for sure that some promises will be broken, and things not promised are unlikely to have time to make it to the surface.

Don't confuse this with a partisan remark, the thought would be the same regardless of who got in (though I'm quite glad the Conservatives were shown the door, I could only wish that it had been even more decisive)

I'm SO glad that my MP, who was famous for sending out racist flyers, is no longer my MP. Unfortunately it wasn't that she lost, the riding boundaries were redrawn and she was no longer in my riding. Yay for not have a Con represent me any more.

He promised to raise taxes, raise spending and put our country back into debt.

He vowed to kill the Northern Gateway pipeline and to bring in new carbon taxes.

He said he'd abandon our military mission against ISIS terrorists, and take in 25,000 Syrian migrants by Christmas.

Do you doubt he’s going to do it?

His ideas will be a disaster. Government will grow. Personal freedom will shrink. Our national security will be weakened. And our foreign policy will tilt far left. Trudeau is the candidate who said he admires China for its “basic dictatorship”, and promises to normalize relations with Iran.

Trudeau doesn't know what he's getting into.. He probably think he knows it all at 43...

And you know things are going to be a mess when those in charge openly plan to run up a budget deficit for the first 3 years and then magically fix it all in the 4th.

Who really knows though? Maybe they'll surprise me. I can't help but think that most people were so focused on "change" that they didn't give any thought to what they were changing to.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm sure they'd use some sort of lubricant

"it's to help better our society, everyone has to pay their fairshare" ahhhh lube

But doesn't that mean the lubricant would come from fossil fuels .... Tsk, tsk

- - - Updated - - -

The first thing Elizabeth May did was to contact the new Prime Minister about environmental issues .... Could never have happened with Harper, so I suspect that we will see at least more of an open mind to environmental concerns than the closed mind of the previous government. So yes there is at least the possibility of dialogue on electric cars and sustainable infrastructure, whereas there was none before.

But doesn't that mean the lubricant would come from fossil fuels .... Tsk, tsk

- - - Updated - - -

The first thing Elizabeth May did was to contact the new Prime Minister about environmental issues .... Could never have happened with Harper, so I suspect that we will see at least more of an open mind to environmental concerns than the closed mind of the previous government. So yes there is at least the possibility of dialogue on electric cars and sustainable infrastructure, whereas there was none before.

I expect a huge flurry of announcements about what they're intending to do, followed by a LONG silence during which they are inundated with lobbyists from every special interest group in the country that feels that the Libs owe them one. Slowly they'll realize that the demands far exceed their funding even with the planned tax increases and intentional deficits. And they'll quietly conclude that most of what they've promised is impossible, impractical or unaffordable. And then I expect to see a lot of semi-coherent stumbling around for a few years until the next election comes around. By that time, all the SIGs that have been shafted will be p'd off and the Libs will be tossed from power. I hope.

He promised to raise taxes, raise spending and put our country back into debt.

Woah, hang on a second there. You don't get to make up your own facts. The Canadian federal government ran large deficits while Harper was in office. 6 years in a row of deficits, followed by ONE year of surplus.

Taking your statement literally would be absurd. The "country" (by which I assume you are referring to the federal government) has been in debt for, well, all of its existence.

Last edited:
Agreed. Interesting that the Liberals were the only ones NOT to announce any GHG reduction targets. Also interesting to note that Justin got in with a lower % of the popular vote that Harper did last time around, and no one seems to be screaming bloody murder, calling for electoral reform and the like. Just sayin'

5. Reform the Voting System
Finally, Trudeau has vowed to reform the country’s current first-past-the-post voting system, which has been unpopular with liberal Canadians, whose votes are split between three main progressive parties, but a favorite of conservatives, who tend to vote in a bloc for the CPC. Back in June, Trudeau vowed that, if elected, he would create an all-party committee to pick a more effective national electoral system for the next elections, looking at options including ranked ballots and online voting.
Proportional representation seems to be one of the strongest options to date. It would give small parties that receive a percentage of the popular vote, but fail to garner wins in ridings, more equal representation in Canada’s Parliament. But, it would also make majorities, like the one the Liberals just won, significantly more difficult to achieve. Canada would probably see more coalition and minority governments, which are generally slower and less efficient at processing new policies.
http://time.com/4079278/justin-trudeau-canada-prime-minister/
Whether that'll happen remains to be seen.

Trudeau DID campaign on expanding green power initiatives, which is more than the NDP or Cons did.

Quite frankly, I was astonished at how right wing the NDP ran.

I'm not a Liberal supporter, but I'm not fanatically against them either. I try to take a dispassionate look at all the parties, and therefore am not really happy with any of them.

If you look at what's happening around the world, there seems to be a bit of a resurgence to social democracy. The rise of the Elizabeth Warren/Bernie Sanders wing of the Democratic Party down south. The election of Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party in the UK. So what did the NDP decide to do? Go with the "third way" Tony Blair Conservative Party Lite school of thought. That school went down to utter defeat electorally 10 years ago, and was disastrous in the long term for the UK.

Also, this was the third time they tried the same strategy, and the third time it failed. There was the Olivia Chow mayoral run, where the same result happened. Then there was the Ontario election where they ran to the right of the Liberals, and the same thing happens. They obviously had the same strategists in all three elections. They need to find someone competent to advise them, or have a shake-up in the leadership or something. They're too insular in their thinking, and not paying attention to whatever's happening in the world outside their inner circle.

Edit:
Can you tell I spend time on political message boards?

Last edited:
Okay, people started debating non-EV related partisan politics, so I've moved that stuff off to Politics - Quarantine Thread

I'm serious about keeping this strictly on topic. Please do not make more work for me. Open political discussion on this forum tend to spiral into personal attacks in about half a page. The moderators won't allow that.

Also I will rename the thread so that it is clear this is about EV-related policies of the new government.

If you want the thread to be strictly on the topic of EV-related policies then surely the rather crude post by Jaff should be moved. It's funny that "What do I expect from the new government? Quite frankly, to be bent over a table and #@%&ed!!!" is ok, but a factual post correcting a completely baseless claim is completely unacceptable.

If you want the thread to be strictly on the topic of EV-related policies then surely the rather crude post by Jaff should be moved. It's funny that "What do I expect from the new government?Quite frankly, to be bent over a table and #@%&ed!!!" is ok, but a factual post correcting a completely baseless claim is completely unacceptable.

Don't expect any support from the mod on this one ... he lol'd that post ...

The world's economy relies on Oil, We are still a very strongly relying on Hydrocarbons. Why do you think Obama rejected the keystone pipeline.. Pretty simple. Trudeau the idiot pull back from supporting the coalition in Fighting ISIS, for one. THat is a no brainer.
Trudeau will will ruin Canada and make Greece look like an joke. Look at Ontario, They pay 10 billion dollars in interest every year on the Debt.
The are no shame in exploiting our resources and as well diversify. DOnlt give me the crap that Canada's oil is dirty. Eastern Canada has their oil shipped by boat from dictator ship and be-headers, rapist. (OPEC). We should instead build the pipeline in to eastern and western coast and get our oil and gas to market
If you really want to reduce polution, Stop buying Stuff from China.

Well, this forum has pre-agreed-upon rules about keeping political opinions and other divisive elements out of discussion, and Mods are enforcing those laws, too....

This forum sub-set isn't my mod. bailiwick, so I'll let those who are do what they wish to this thread, but: would-be participants, please keep to topic.

0ffadda7b3e1107afad78a1839ce3df0.jpg

In the U.S. I am far more concerned about Christian extremism than about Islamic. But, yes, if we can get off of fossil fuels, there will be far less economic incentive for terrorist actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.