Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my mind, the anti-Tesla sentiment among some is less about the government incentives and government loans, and more a knee-jerk reaction by many against anything "green." Everything else is a bunch of rationalization and cognitive dissonance.

Fox News pioneered editorial bias? Seriously?

Not pioneered but made it the basis of their programming at put it on in prime-time against traditional news on other channels, and made it look like news except they use the "opinion" caveat trick. To top it all off, they use the slogan "Fair and Balanced". This has resulted in the highest ratings in cable "news". Now CNN is looking to follow since that is the only way to compete. It's killing traditional unbiased news.

In fact, many people watching Fox don't understand the difference between opinion and reporting and that's exactly what Rupert Murdoch planned and has succeeded in doing. This is not the same as the traditional opinion columns that you seem to reference. Murdoch and Fox have taken it to a whole new level. And, yes, they have pioneered a whole new concept of "news".

Last edited:
I don't recall, but I imagine Jenkins ante-dates Murdoch's ownership of the WSJ. It has always had a conservative (boo) and sometimes libertarian (I say, yay!) editorial page. Murdoch's effect on the WSJ has been adding lightweight semi-advertising sections. But the paper still offers pretty objective coverage of business events, which is a lot of what's important in life and society. Viz: this site, focused on the achievements of a company, in business.

I don't recall, but I imagine Jenkins ante-dates Murdoch's ownership of the WSJ.

You're probably right. I also doubt Murdoch decides whose opinions get published. I don't think Murdoch has his hand in every pie. But I bet he makes sure people who share his general opinions are the ones who get hired.

On good thing is his goose that laid the golden egg (Bill O'Reilly) is pro-Tesla.

Can we stay on topic please, Canuck. Many here aren't interested in reading a generalized leftist diatribe against the only non left-leaning network on TV.

That's nice of you to attack me because you don't like my posts. But instead of being forthright about it, you do it under the guise of me being off topic.

My comments deal with the author of the article, the WSJ where he published it, and the owner of the publication, who also owns Fox News. The article contains half-truths and misinformation and the reason of why it would be published was raised in this thread. All of my comments are on topic.

More importantly, please don't ever tell me what to post. I only listed to those types of comments coming from a moderator.

I wonder how much of these taxes go to the general fund, where it gets used for something other than the original intent of the taxes. There seems to be too many of those lately...

it's terrible that your taxes are being raised regardless of what they call it (tax, fee, assessment, use charge, etc). The reality is you get the government you want. Stop voting for the liberals. Move to Free America and out of the People's Republic of California. They will always find ways of taking more of your money. And they will use it in ways that are incredibly inefficient.

I was was born and raised there. I know how that system works.

Right wing people are unconsciously sadomasochistic. They want to destroy life on Earth and to suffer the consequences at the same time. Like 2-year olds who throw a toy against the wall to destroy it, but on a whole different scale. Same thing with universal health-care : many tea party people would benefit from a European type of health-care system, but they are vehemently against it.
Not that left-wingers are less neurotic. It is just a different neurosis. An idealistic form of masochistic weakness. Like little babies wanting to live forever in a state where all their needs are permanently satisfied by the government.
And Libertarians are like little boys who cannot stand the limits imposed by their father. They reject the Law of the Father, the basis of Western civilization. If they have their way, we go back to barbarianism, with hordes of violent cynical brothers (from gangs to shareholders on Wall Street) doing whatever they want, destroying anyone standing in their way.

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this comment, so I will put it in here as it deals with the long term timeline.

I just had a small chat about the car with a new teacher at our school who saw I had a Tesla poster in my office. He's in his mid thirties, but as he was talking about the car and wanting one he said this: "Oh, the car doesn't use oil?" He didn't realize there was no engine.......

So it seems until Tesla gets the cheaper "mass market" Model 3 out, the general public will still be clueless on specifics of how it works.

I could not believe he knew about it and still thought the car had an engine.....speechless I was. I then went on a informational ramble. haha

To me that right there signals still tremendous untapped demand. Us enthusiasts mustn't forget that our knowledge about Tesla the company, the cars, the technology, the business, the future of EVs, the future of solar, the future of storage etc. far supersedes that of the general public and also of most people in the financial industry. This is a HUGE advantage that we must use wisely in our investments. For me personally, anytime I feel insecure or doubtful about my understanding of how the future will play out, which guides some investment decision I'm about to make, I just think about the fact that my own analysis pretty much lines up with some very smart and very proven successful people such as Elon and JB. That takes away most of the insecurity. Looking at my investment record since 2012 also helps :)

To me that right there signals still tremendous untapped demand. Us enthusiasts mustn't forget that our knowledge about Tesla the company, the cars, the technology, the business, the future of EVs, the future of solar, the future of storage etc. far supersedes that of the general public and also of most people in the financial industry. This is a HUGE advantage that we must use wisely in our investments. For me personally, anytime I feel insecure or doubtful about my understanding of how the future will play out, which guides some investment decision I'm about to make, I just think about the fact that my own analysis pretty much lines up with some very smart and very proven successful people such as Elon and JB. That takes away most of the insecurity. Looking at my investment record since 2012 also helps :)

Additionally, Elon et. al. have stated that regions take time to get accustomed to Teslas. California is clearly comfortable with the cars. Norway...comfortable. Europe is still in its infancy, as well as major portions of the U.S.

As time goes on, slowly Tesla vehicles will move from the fringes and be accepted by the masses as quality cars.

Not sure where to put this comment, so I will put it in here as it deals with the long term timeline.

I just had a small chat about the car with a new teacher at our school who saw I had a Tesla poster in my office. He's in his mid thirties, but as he was talking about the car and wanting one he said this: "Oh, the car doesn't use oil?" He didn't realize there was no engine.......

So it seems until Tesla gets the cheaper "mass market" Model 3 out, the general public will still be clueless on specifics of how it works.

I could not believe he knew about it and still thought the car had an engine.....speechless I was. I then went on a informational ramble. haha

Yes, there is huge lack of awareness. See this presentation I gave a few months ago: Electrifying Transport

- - - Updated - - -

There's a ton of people who think electric means hybrid. It's very strange to me. Partially the fault of all the PHEV marketing I suppose. And because people think tesla and fisker are the same thing.

Exactly. Even if they have "heard" of electric cars, they often don't understand how they work, and they don't understand their 3 huge consumer benefits (instant torque, convenience, smooth & quiet ride).

Here's another example where the income inequality is resulting in serious splits in society. A young friend of mine grows delicious heirloom tomatoes and sells them at a NYC farmer's market--for $6. Each. If you have a lot of money in America, you can eat flavorful, healthful food.

For this reason, I'm glad that Tesla is finally setting out clear timelines for the M3 introduction. People gawk at my MS, and I'm particularly aware that it's the younger people who know what the car is and want one. But the truth is, very few Mainers can afford a MS/MX. The M3 will open new doors to let people towards the middle of the income distribution drive a fully competent BEV. Used M3s will open doors to the next rung down.
I'm glad we don't have European communism here in the US! There's no way a Tesla (or Apple or Google or Facebook for that matter) would ever be created!

Guys let's try to leave politics out where possible and stick to macroeconomic discussions affecting the market and TSLA. Obviously Europe is not Communist.
I'm so sorry to Robert.Boston! I responded to the wrong article. I meant to respond to PerfectLogic who was claiming to be a European Communist.

I will refrain from bringing politics into this forum.

Again, I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.