Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a similar problem. I am scheduled for a life saving operation. Was lucky enough to get the most experienced and talented surgeon in the world to do my surgery. This would give me the best chance of getting the best result. Just today I found out that he voted differently than I would have liked on some candidates and also spends his money on issues that I disagree with. Should I cancel my surgery until I can find a less capable surgeon, but one that aligns more perfectly with my own political and economic beliefs? Just kidding of course, but I find more people that have political feelings that are running their lives and decision making. Getting more and more judgemental on how others run their lives.

Well it depends on what the person believes in. Does the surgeon believe in pseudoscience and thinks that the vaccine contains magnetic particles that causes metal to stick to you? If so I would be pretty hesitant to go with this surgeon, and I would find someone who is just as capable. (I think its a false dichotomy to say the best surgeon believes in x and the one who isn't as capable believes in y, though I think you were being fallacious just for example's sake).

That being said I do think many times such beliefs shouldn't be a factor (like when I go to a restaurant, do I ask the server what party they voted for? No that would be ridiculous). But as we start moving up the chain and power scale, what they believe and say does become a factor directly and indirectly, as what they can say and do becomes more magnified into the real world.

Of course as I stated before I think all of us are hypocritical to a degree with who and what we buy and support, but I think there's a bit of grey area involved, and it's going to be different for everyone.

Reactions: WADan
(not moderator note, not representing TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster)

I actually get people will make decisions based on whatever they think is correct, and support anyone who decides to make such a decision. What I dont get, frankly, is peoples need to get validation from others (post) about such a thing.

Do what you are going to do, and whatever you choose is the right thing for you, but everything doesnt need online validation from other people.
I can see your point! Why would people feel the need to send a tweet about something to receive online validation from other people. Oh wait, that sums up the OP's point. Oh well, we are all particiapating in an online forum to probably do the same - we just don't want to admitt it...

I can see your point! Why would people feel the need to send a tweet about something to receive online validation from other people. Oh wait, that sums up the OP's point. Oh well, we are all particiapating in an online forum to probably do the same - we just don't want to admitt it...

Yeah, the only thing (and I mean only thing) I use twitter for , is notifications from fire departments in my area because I live in a fire zone in southern california. I dont have a facebook, etc. The only reason I started coming to TMC was to learn about my car.

I stuck around when they asked me to help out, but yeah, no I am not participating online to get validation from others, especially on anything that would be important to me (like stands on my beliefs).

Yeah, the only thing (and I mean only thing) I use twitter for , is notifications from fire departments in my area because I live in a fire zone in southern california. I dont have a facebook, etc. The only reason I started coming to TMC was to learn about my car.

I stuck around when they asked me to help out, but yeah, no I am not participating online to get validation from others, especially on anything that would be important to me (like stands on my beliefs).
Personally, I'm in the same position. I'm not old school concerning social media I just don't really care what other people are doing/saying. I'm not disconnected from the Public Square but I don't have time for the noise. Glad you are here contributing!

I think the OP should do whatever he/she feels is necessary. Musk is a disrupter. He is always pushing - it's his nature. I will say my M3 is the best vehilce I have owned. Tesla makes a great vehilce!

Personally, I'm in the same position. I'm not old school concerning social media I just don't really care what other people are doing/saying. I'm not disconnected from the Public Square but I don't have time for the noise. Glad you are here contributing!

I think the OP should do whatever he/she feels is necessary. Musk is a disrupter. He is always pushing - it's his nature. I will say my M3 is the best vehilce I have owned. Tesla makes a great vehilce!

For me, I disconnected the products from the CEO. I have absolutely chosen not to do business with companies over things that have happened with them, so I am not making any (repeat any) judgement on that stand at all. The only thing I was saying is, that was a personal choice, and I didnt go online to get other peoples opinions about it.

I talked to my wife and children, then made a decision.

Just like I dont get people coming here (or anywhere online) and saying "I need help picking one of these 5 colors for my car, what color does everyone think I should buy?" (which is a much lower stakes discussion than someones beliefs on weighty topics) I dont get coming online to say (in effect) "I am re considering this 60-70k purchase I am planning on making because of my beliefs, what does everyone think about that?"

For me, thats a discussion amongst people you know and trust, not "randos online", but enough people feel differently that social media exists.

/shrug

Yeah I feel the same as the OP towards Elon. Maybe I'll get the F*** Elon sticker. But right now, the Model Y solves several issues for me and I intend to take delivery. My neighbor and I were just talking about this, that we bought the vehicles despite really disliking the man.

I really wish he'd stick to technology and shut his mouth about everything else. I'd elaborate but this isn't the forum. However: he has revolutionized the electric car industry and created cars that are a blast to drive. He built the charging network. Tesla factories are brilliant. I'm not necessarily a fan of Jeff Bezos either, but I haven't cancelled my amazon account.

I think you'd find it quite difficult to identify a car company other than Tesla that is "better." Elon is vocal and many times wrong. But, think about the decades of Ford and GM ruining lives by laying off workers to set up non-US factories (for US-bound destination product). Bail outs, scandals, funding the fights against environmental regulations, and more. Then you have VW with dieselgate, Toyota covering up serious safety issues that caused deaths until caught by governments, and the list is endless.
Elon being King Twit and his crass, uninformed tweets is a very minor thing compared to Tesla's competitors, and when put in the light of all the good that Tesla as a publicly owned shareholder organization does.

For me, the only people who have discussed the Elon factor related to my Teslas are other Tesla owners, or others who are looking to purchase one. And it usually goes something like this:

Other Person: "How do you like your car?"
Me: "It's my fourth Tesla, I love EVs."
Other Person: "Elon's kind of nuts, though, huh?"
Me: "Yep."
Other Person: "Love the car, though."

That said, if someone feels strongly, they're definitely welcome to boycott the brand for their own peace of mind and to feel less hypocritical. Boycotts are extremely common for ideological reasons across the ideological spectrum. Heck, the United States colonists boycotted British goods. Do what makes you feel better, whatever that may be.

For me, the only people who have discussed the Elon factor related to my Teslas are other Tesla owners, or others who are looking to purchase one. And it usually goes something like this:

Other Person: "How do you like your car?"
Me: "It's my fourth Tesla, I love EVs."
Other Person: "Elon's kind of nuts, though, huh?"
Me: "Yep."
Other Person: "Love the car, though."

That said, if someone feels strongly, they're definitely welcome to boycott the brand for their own peace of mind and to feel less hypocritical. Boycotts are extremely common for ideological reasons across the ideological spectrum. Heck, the United States colonists boycotted British goods. Do what makes you feel better, whatever that may be.

There's nothing more American than voting with your dollars.

The second most American activity is to complain about things.

🇺🇸🌭🥧

Do you know the politics, personal beliefs or habits of every person you buy products from out deal with? Do you know what the people at the coffee shop you may frequent think or do? What about your postal carrier or delivery drivers that come to your house? Buy the car if you want the car. Any morality you project buy boycotting a product, in the end, doesn’t extend beyond your own mind. Our whole existence is in our minds.

Do you know the politics, personal beliefs or habits of every person you buy products from out deal with? Do you know what the people at the coffee shop you may frequent think or do? What about your postal carrier or delivery drivers that come to your house? Buy the car if you want the car. Any morality you project buy boycotting a product, in the end, doesn’t extend beyond your own mind. Our whole existence is in our minds.
This is why it's smart for CEOs to shut up about politics. Your job is to try to sell products or services and if you say nothing about politics, you can't offend anyone. Elon is too dumb to keep his mouth shut and only tweet about things that are relevant to his job.

I touch on this in my earlier post, but while I see your point, I don't think we can completely ignore how one acts especially as one moves up the power level. If what they say and what they do starts to have actual impact on others around them negatively (and by that I mean actual malice/pain), that has to be something to be considered especially when there's size and scope involved. For everyone though that threshold is going to be different.

To be clear, any change by a single person isn't going to affect the person in question, so one would have to in the end do it for themselves and/or their circle, short of organizing a bigger boycott.

Reactions: advocate8
I personally disagree that the OP's title and post represented an "extreme" position. It struck me as a legitimate concern. Perhaps it could have been written better and in a less provocative manner, but I would probably have said something similar had there not already been a post on it that came up literally at the top of my feed when I activated my account.

And that was what I originally came here for.

As I encourage others to do as well. The reason I criticize here is that, as I said, I feel the kind of vitriol that the OP has gotten for their views paints a bad image of Tesla owners in general. I already get enough judging stares from people in my town when my 3 pulls up next to their beat-up SUVs and giant pickup trucks. I hate the idea, even if it's unfounded, that people lump me into a category I don't belong in just because of the car I'm driving. When I then see that, in a place I thought was going to be a safe haven against that, there are people treating a Musk critic with such disrespect, it makes me feel even more self-conscious. As I said, I don't want to be seen that way just by being here.

Thanks.
I would guess very few people are thinking about you and your car.

Would I buy another car from this guy? Nope. I am perfectly happy with the car but I wouldn't give him another penny of my money. I've defended Tesla when things about their safety come up, or when questions come up about other EVs. But my left leaning friends give me a hard time owning something from him, and that was before the Twitter deal. We'll see what happens with it but I'm out, not that I used it much anyway.

Well it depends on what the person believes in. Does the surgeon believe in pseudoscience and thinks that the vaccine contains magnetic particles that causes metal to stick to you? If so I would be pretty hesitant to go with this surgeon, and I would find someone who is just as capable. (I think its a false dichotomy to say the best surgeon believes in x and the one who isn't as capable believes in y, though I think you were being fallacious just for example's sake).

That being said I do think many times such beliefs shouldn't be a factor (like when I go to a restaurant, do I ask the server what party they voted for? No that would be ridiculous). But as we start moving up the chain and power scale, what they believe and say does become a factor directly and indirectly, as what they can say and do becomes more magnified into the real world.

Of course as I stated before I think all of us are hypocritical to a degree with who and what we buy and support, but I think there's a bit of grey area involved, and it's going to be different for everyone.
I simply don’t get it that some people would NOT find his retweet, of a salacious conspiracy of a man almost hammered to death, to be despicable!
Firstly, even if the conspiracy was true, retweeting it is still not a constructive thing to do. Even though I don’t question his character/moral (yet), his judgment is seriously lacking!

I simply don’t get it that some people would NOT find his retweet, of a salacious conspiracy of a man almost hammered to death, to be despicable!
Firstly, even if the conspiracy was true, retweeting it is still not a constructive thing to do. Even though I don’t question his character/moral (yet), his judgment is seriously lacking!
Provocative perhaps. If he silently walked it back it was probably after actually looking at the website.

No apologies are needed for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: chippwalters
Status
Not open for further replies.