Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 60 to 75 upgrade

Are you going to upgrade from 60-75 KWH now that the price has dropped to $2K?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My option is none of the above, I think all 60 owners who bought their cars AFTER the price increase should fight to get the upgrade for FREE as the new 75/75D pricing is the same. What are we paying $2k for?
I believe ithe new 75 base price of $69,500 is $1500 more than the old 60 base price, so I could see an argument for you to pay $1500 rather than $2000. Of course I realize the all glass roof that I paid $1500 for is now standard but interior options change all the time.

Sorry, but I'll save my sympathy for those who paid $6500, $7000 or $9000 for 60 to 75. $9000 was the after purchase cost when I bought my S a mere four months.

My 60 was at 219 miles on 100% (as of 11:00 today-April 17). After 2 hours of charging, my new 75 has posted 255 miles at 100%. My $2k bought me 36 miles. During the last 5 minutes of charging, the amps went from 30 to 11 amps and the rate went from 23 mi/hr to 22 miles/hr.

The MPH rate is the AVERAGE for the entire charging session. If you were charging at 23 mph @ 30 amps, then you were charging at about 8.4 mph @ 11 amps toward the end.

The MPH rate is the AVERAGE for the entire charging session. If you were charging at 23 mph @ 30 amps, then you were charging at about 8.4 mph @ 11 amps toward the end.
Thanks. I did not know this. Thought it was instantaneous.

How come my car is now at 255 miles, and a few others are at 260 miles? Should I charge/discharge differently to get those additional 5 miles? or is that just the way identical batteries are different?

Thanks. I did not know this. Thought it was instantaneous.

How come my car is now at 255 miles, and a few others are at 260 miles? Should I charge/discharge differently to get those additional 5 miles? or is that just the way identical batteries are different?

There will be differences between cars -- there will be differences even in the same car, depending on the state of the battery and temperature, perhaps speed of charging. Sometimes people expect to see degradation, so they see this as degradation. It probably is not. Remember this is a calculation, not an actual reading of battery condition.

It is possible that the 60 kWh batteries, since they have NEVER been truly charged to 100%, MIGHT get a little more packed into them once they have been charged above 95% a few times. Other batteries are best if given a higher charge occasionally to "balance" the charge on all the cells, and the software-limited batteries have not had this treatment.

You will definitely get more miles after discharging and recharging your battery. When I first got my 60D it only charged to 213. After driving it for a week, I got 220. We've never charged to 100%, it will be healthier for the battery to occasionally get 100% charged and discharged to 10%, especially on road trips.

There will be differences between cars -- there will be differences even in the same car, depending on the state of the battery and temperature, perhaps speed of charging. Sometimes people expect to see degradation, so they see this as degradation. It probably is not. Remember this is a calculation, not an actual reading of battery condition.

It is possible that the 60 kWh batteries, since they have NEVER been truly charged to 100%, MIGHT get a little more packed into them once they have been charged above 95% a few times. Other batteries are best if given a higher charge occasionally to "balance" the charge on all the cells, and the software-limited batteries have not had this treatment.
When I drove my car with 100% of 75 packed in, I watched the power consumption graphic on the dashboard..A "warning" triangle appeared intermittently at the 5:00 o'clock position on that graphic. It flashed on, then off until I had burned up 5 miles, and has not returned. Could this be something about balancing the cell charge?
Shall I burn up most of the battery and then 100% fill a few cycles to "train" the batteries, or just drive/plug in in the evening and charge to 90% and not do deep cycling?

Originally I wasn't a fan of the software upgrades of all the extremely expensive parts like Batteries and FSD hardware, but the more I think about it. the more I like it. My dislike stemmed from the thought of all that wasted money putting in expensive hardware, but if you are Tesla and you are making cars to last 10-20 years and a million miles, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Looking at this poll, its now clear me that almost every software upgrade will eventually be paid for and enabled. If not by the first owner, the second, the third or even some autonomous cab company that buys up all the older 3s and fixes them up. Eventually all that hardware will pay off in lifetime value of the vehicles as well as people will know that they can upgrade the car where other brands cannot. Though very different, it kind of reminds me why I would never buy a Dell desktop and would build my own instead. I knew that I could always upgrade the internals myself but the Dell was locked down with dumb proprietary internals and warranty voiding labels. I know its different because I have to add the hardware, but the idea that it can be upgraded gives it more value to me, even if I never do it.

I also want to make a prediction that FSD will bring free supercharging if not enough people activate it. Also, I predict that at some point in the not to distant future, to juice S/X sales, they will include free supercharging for all new S/X and allow people to upgrade if they do not already have it for a nominal fee, like $1500.

I would do it in a heartbeat for $2000 if I wasn't leasing... With leasing I don't think it makes sense for me to do it, unless I really needed it, but I don't. Only did 1 trip > 150 miles in almost a year of ownership...

I have to say that new price is very reasonable. $9000 wasn't IMHO.

After this final price reduction, I pulled the trigger. The upgrade price went from 9K last year to 7K in January and 2K yesterday. I couldn't resist.

I woke up this morning to a full charge. Mine only read 236. This is coming from a 202 "full rating" with the 60 before. I had hope for the rated range to be closer to 249. My lifetime average consumption is 293 wh/mi.

I really am tempted, but I just don't see how to justify it. I planned a trip on A Better Route Planner from Chicago to Nashville using both the 60 and 75, and there is no difference in charge time or overall time. I can see if you were stretching to get to a distant supercharger or able to skip one. For me, I just don't do that many long trips and I kind of like the breaks at superchargers. Still, it sure seems like a good deal!

Originally I wasn't a fan of the software upgrades of all the extremely expensive parts like Batteries and FSD hardware, but the more I think about it. the more I like it.

I also want to make a prediction that FSD will bring free supercharging if not enough people activate it. Also, I predict that at some point in the not to distant future, to juice S/X sales, they will include free supercharging for all new S/X and allow people to upgrade if they do not already have it for a nominal fee, like $1500.
I don't see unlimited, free Supercharger in the foreseeable future simply due to demand that will be placed on it by Model 3 and future models. In fact I could imagine Model 3 not even receiving the current limited free use provided for S and X buyers simply due to overwhelming demand.

But I do think the current pure software upgrade price of $10k ($8k at time of purchase) for AP2/FSD will drop, especially if that package is considerably cheaper for Model 3. And if it is the same high price for Model 3, I think lots of buyers on a budget will pass, eventually leading to a price cut. Personally I passed on it as a matter of preference, but it would be tempting to add as a cool gimmick if price wasn't so steep.

I just got back from a 3000 miles road trip. Going from New Jersey to New Orleans and back. There was only one time i wished i had a 75 instead of a 60. That was at Potomac Mills supercharger in Virginia.

The car was done charging before we finished our dinner and I incurred an idle fee as there were other people charging. Could have really used the charging taper to give me more time to eat.

After this final price reduction, I pulled the trigger. The upgrade price went from 9K last year to 7K in January and 2K yesterday. I couldn't resist.

I woke up this morning to a full charge. Mine only read 236. This is coming from a 202 "full rating" with the 60 before. I had hope for the rated range to be closer to 249. My lifetime average consumption is 293 wh/mi.
My lifetime rating is 293 wh/mi and I went from 206-209 to 239. Hopefully that goes up. Battery showed at 100% though.