Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: August 16th, 2019 FSD Price increase (or not)

How do you feel about this now?

• I purchased FSD long ago, or when I bought my car, so I don't/didn't give a ratz arse!

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I never expected an increase on 8/16 - just a ploy to generate FSD orders, fueled by hyperbole

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I did expect an increase, so put my money down before the 8/16 deadline - now pissed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I did expect an increase, so put my money down before the 8/16 deadline - still okay

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Other (please specify by posting)

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Over the past month there has been a lot written here in TMC, re FSD functionality, FSD timing, and impending FSD price increase on 8/16/19 - as tweeted by Mr. Musk in July. So, I'm curious how the TMC population feels about things today, now that 8/16/19 is about to (or already has) come to a close with no FSD price increase. :)

OMG, so what? the world isn't going to end.

Of course it's not, but many flocked to get FSD orders in yesterday, to the point where the Tesla system apparently crashed (as reported on Tesla.com forum). On that forum, people reported trying for hours to get their orders in by midnight. Figured the same would be true here. Just curious how everyone's feeling "the morning after," given no increase and no comment from Musk or Tesla - that's the point of the unbiased poll, to take everyone's "temperature".

I suspected they weren't going to increase prices right away, they've pulled the same stunt a couple of times since I've had my TM3 and I've only had it since April. But whether at 6k or 7k I'm still not going to spend that much money on a promise. If it came with some concrete new features that might be a different matter. I was hoping they were going to announce some other services today too for purchase, like streaming/premium connectivity, the SR -> SR+ upgrade, etc but so far nothing.

EDIT: as a side note I have no doubt Elon will raise (in some way) the FSD price to 7k, I just don't know when. When he raised it to 6k it took about a week after he had promised it was going up, but it was already 6k post-delivery, they just made the price 6k for everyone. Along those lines, I wouldn't be surprised if he did something like lower the price of regular AP to 2k for people who don't have it yet, effectively keeping the 9k total price for the whole enchilada.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
I suspected they weren't going to increase prices right away, they've pulled the same stunt a couple of times since I've had my TM3 and I've only had it since April. But whether at 6k or 7k I'm still not going to spend that much money on a promise. If it came with some concrete new features that might be a different matter. I was hoping they were going to announce some other services today too for purchase, like streaming/premium connectivity, the SR -> SR+ upgrade, etc but so far nothing.

Yes, I definitely thought something would be released if there was going to be an FSD price increase. Since nothing was expected to be released today, I never expected the FSD price increase to materialize either. I voted the first option in the poll, as FSD was ordered along with the car. Wish in hadn’t fallen victim to the hype, but that’s water under the bridge (or over the dam). :)

Of course it's not, but many flocked to get FSD orders in yesterday, to the point where the Tesla system apparently crashed (as reported on Tesla.com forum). On that forum, people reported trying for hours to get their orders in by midnight. Figured the same would be true here. Just curious how everyone's feeling "the morning after," given no increase and no comment from Musk or Tesla - that's the point of the unbiased poll, to take everyone's "temperature".

I got railed a bit on the investment thread for saying that in my opinion Musk has a big no confidence vote from most of the professional investment community, and today's no price increase(although I guess it could still happen) is case in point of many of his public statements which don't come to pass, and why until Tesla over executes, the major money that matters will not give the company the benefit of the doubt.

My advice is just keep your mouth closed and finger of the tweet button and keep your head down and prove the doubters wrong. I hadn't heard about the servers being down, but I would probably feel a little played if I had gone ahead and pulled the trigger when the CEO said prices WILL go up on 8/16 and they didn't.

Well, it's now 5pm - "Tesla time" and no announcement or tweet about FSD. We can officially call this one "debunked" or "Busted" depending on your taste... Hope you all have a great weekend while enjoying your Tesla (or preparing for the future arrival of your Tesla)! :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: willw64
Well, it's now 5pm - "Tesla time" and no announcement or tweet about FSD. We can officially call this one "debunked" or "Busted" depending... Hope you all have a great weekend while enjoying your Tesla (or preparing for the future arrival of your Tesla)! :)
I'm not sure why you say that. Logically the price would go up at midnight PST. That being said, it's probably not going to happen.

Yeah, the wording of the extremely poorly worded email could only reasonably be construed to say that prices will go up at 11:59:59PM this evening (on August 16th).

I expect the $3k offer to be rescinded and be replaced with whatever the price was before (was it $6k for EAP owners?) briefly. That'll make the people who bought it just now feel pretty good.

Next, they'll lower the price back to $3k after a few tweets at Elon asking why the price has gone up even though there is no Enhanced Summon.

That'll persist for a while. Then, they'll lower the price to $2k, saying this is your last chance, Enhanced Summon is coming. People who bought at $3k will be a bit upset and will tweet at Elon, and he'll offer Early Access Program for the people who have already bought. Or maybe he'll offer early HW3 install.

So there will be a brief window where it's available at $2k, probably lasting a couple months until the end of this year, when Enhanced Summon finally rolls out (maybe).

This is probably a good way to shake out the buyers at the highest possible price level and maximize (deferred) revenue. Start high, get revenue, lower price, get more revenue, lower some more, etc. It does make sense to get all the people who will pay $3k first, then lower the price. Saying the price is going up is a great way to get people to buy. Then you lower it. Everyone goes into the transaction eyes wide open.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
I’ll never understand why an online ordering system from a serious corporation crashes due to “load” in 2019. Is that running on a Raspberry Pi hooked up to ADSL?

Over the past month there has been a lot written here in TMC, re FSD functionality, FSD timing, and impending FSD price increase on 8/16/19 - as tweeted by Mr. Musk in July. So, I'm curious how the TMC population feels about things today, now that 8/16/19 is about to (or already has) come to a close with no FSD price increase. :)
With the recession warning, the best decision for Tesla might be 'never mind' on the price increase.

I did order before Aug 16 because of the FSD price increase. But what drove my decision to pull the trigger Aug. 3 was the return of FUSC, which is worth more: ~$500/year based on the 3+ years of my prior Model S.

Welp... "Price increase for Tesla FSD postponed until version 10 with smart summon is in wide release, which is about 4 to 8 weeks away, depending on how early access goes"

Elon Musk on Twitter

I feel bad for FSD purchasers. They've been lied to over, and over, and over again.

Not the least bit surprising.

Again, "is it a lie if no one believes it?" I assume the people who bought recently who frequent this site were fully aware the price was not going up; I'm not sure why one would think that the price was going to go up on that particular day, even if you were enough of a naif to believe that technology of this sort ever goes up in price for any relevant timescale. It's not like people here haven't been saying consistently that the price is very likely not going to go up...and certainly wasn't going to go up absent any news on August 16th.

People need to remember that Tesla does not get to set the market-clearing price of FSD.

EDIT: In addition, as was said here several times, Elon already said the price increase (at least for the EAP upgrade folks) was tied to the wide release of Enhanced Summon! That didn't happen, so...

PHD.JPG

At least the BS of "Hopefully August" has come to a close (before the end of August); and that like some of us (but not all) expected, no price increase until something real is released... Duh... Lastly, did anyone else notice the subtle "rebranding" of Enhanced Summon to "Smart" summon? Sounds like a downgrade to me...

Edit: So, does anyone think Tesla will fix this next?

Enhance summon coming next week!

Last edited: