Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: current safety score

What is your current safety score?

• 100 - 95

Votes: 253 82.1%
  • 94 - 90

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • 89 - 80

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • 79 - 50

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 50 or less

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, I am not sure why some Tesla fans are acting like if you don't have 100, you won't get FSD Beta. You will still get FSD Beta with a score less than 100, you will just be a bit lower down the queue since they start with the people with 100 and work down from there.

By the way, I am not sure why some Tesla fans are acting like if you don't have 100, you won't get FSD Beta. You will still get FSD Beta with a score less than 100, you will just be a bit lower down the queue since they start with the people with 100 and work down from there.
Also, if the 1000/day number is true, I can't imagine it'll take more than a few weeks to work through the list from 100 down to whatever the cutoff is.

Reactions: diplomat33

Also, if the 1000/day number is true, I can't imagine it'll take more than a few weeks to work through the list from 100 down to whatever the cutoff is.

As mentioned in the other thread, it depends on how long you think the experiment is going to run for. It's difficult to predict how safe this is going to be, and random unfortunate events can occur. FSD Beta is limited in its capabilities, and it's not clear how well people will be able to monitor it. This is a large expansion relative to the original user base so with that comes some substantial risks.

Welcome to the (admittedly frustrating) game! As MrYenko stated, follow distance is very cautious, the easiest way to avoid is to put your car in AP above 50mph, and find an empty lane if you need to get out of Autopilot.

yes. Did my first “successful” (score wise) highway drive. It required driving under the speed limit more the half the time in order to stay well back from other cars.

Maybe that’s “safer” but I don’t find it enjoyable.

The whole thing is bogus, but I am playing along. I drive like a granny with a uncovered cup of coffee on the dash, and I get dinged for "aggressive turning". I use only regenerative braking (one-pedal) and it marks me down for "hard braking".

I think it's telling that there are things they COULD use but don't:

- going over the speed limit (the car knows the posted limit and your speed).
- rolling through stops signs or red lights (FSD cars see them).
- driver inattentiveness (the in cabin camera is active).

None of the metrics assessed in the Safety Scoring relate to your ability to monitor the car when it's driving itself. I think it's just a scam to keep FSD buyers quiet. WE GOT THE BUTTON (promised in 10 days on March 6). Elon even said it's not a request button, it will be a download button. So much for that.

This might have been mentioned but I missed it. What is the max deceleration rate of regen? If you let regen stop you completely will it trigger a hard stop? I have a MYP. I don't know if the rates are different for various cars/models.
Unlike "slamming on the brakes", it is possible to trigger a "hard braking" event by taking your foot too quickly off the accelerator pedal. If you're moving at highway speed and don't feather the go-pedal, you can effectively "unslam the brakes". It's pretty flat where I live and I never use the brake pedal in summer. Never. And I get dinged for hard braking.

What's lunacy is that I love driving the Telsa. This safety dance is ruining that experience. If I could get my money back for FSD, I would in a heartbeat.

I think it's telling that there are things they COULD use but don't:

- going over the speed limit (the car knows the posted limit and your speed).
- rolling through stops signs or red lights (FSD cars see them).
- driver inattentiveness (the in cabin camera is active).
They don't have data on how any of these causes accidents. But they do have data on the parameters they used.

it is possible to trigger a "hard braking" event by taking your foot too quickly off the accelerator pedal. If you're moving at highway speed and don't feather the go-pedal, you can effectively "unslam the brakes".
No, it's not possible, unless you reduce your speed in the course of doing so. The jerk (change in acceleration from high positive to zero) doesn't matter. The sign of the acceleration does matter.

It may be possible if you take your foot completely off the accelerator, especially on a downhill (for reasons discussed earlier here), but then you'd be slowing down (negative acceleration).

Of course if you're traveling a steady speed and then release the accelerator (maybe what you were suggesting - it wasn't clear), that could trigger an event.

Be smooth. You can probably even corner fairly quickly, as long as you are silky smooth and take the perfect line; no mid-corner corrections.

Last edited:
Unlike "slamming on the brakes", it is possible to trigger a "hard braking" event by taking your foot too quickly off the accelerator pedal. If you're moving at highway speed and don't feather the go-pedal, you can effectively "unslam the brakes". It's pretty flat where I live and I never use the brake pedal in summer. Never. And I get dinged for hard braking.

What's lunacy is that I love driving the Telsa. This safety dance is ruining that experience. If I could get my money back for FSD, I would in a heartbeat.
I’m pretty sure if your going 3mph and stop suddenly you get it too. I have a blind exit at my place and pedestrians like to use that sidewalk . I also go super slow exiting into the main road because I can’t see if someone is going to step out. Someone did and I dropped the break - stopped 15’ from them but quickly. I guess I haven’t mastered how to quickly slowly stop from slow.

I will share some FUD. :p
There's a real chance that the FSD Beta never gets released to people who score less than 100. Very few miles have been driven using FSD Beta so Tesla has no idea how safe it is. What if the serious collision rate turns out to be high?
Also, I haven't seen any evidence that wider deployment will speed up development. They may decide that there's too much risk of government regulation or bad publicity and it will just distract them from their ultimate goal.

There's a real chance that the FSD Beta never gets released to people who score less than 100. Very few miles have been driven using FSD Beta so Tesla has no idea how safe it is. What if the serious collision rate turns out to be high?
Also, I haven't seen any evidence that wider deployment will speed up development. They may decide that there's too much risk of government regulation or bad publicity and it will just distract them from their ultimate goal.

Yea...i think the 1000 people/day estimate is typical Elon pulling a random number out of his rear before validating with the team. Releasing to new people every 24 hour doesn't give Tesla enough time at all to validate how the release is going, if it's safe, etc...

I'm guessing there will be one batch to some people with 100 score, and then he'll go quiet for a few day and we don't know what's going on.

What's the difference between FSD and FUD?
Only U.

Or how about
Only you can create FUD from FSD.

Ah whatever. Still, anybody who gets FSD Beta might wanna disconnect from wifi at home to stop it getting taken away one night (would that work?)

I just want to get it in the first group so that I can enjoy the novelty factor (worth something!), and then stop using it in nearly all situations. That way if access is removed subsequently it doesn't matter - I'll have lived the experience. And it's all about lived experience these days.

Also Tesla has made it clear they want to use data like this to set insurance prices. They currently can't do this in CA because it's illegal, but they are considering it in Texas and other places. There are some very real world, financial and other impacts planned for this imperfect score that you suggest people don't worry about.
To be clear, my comment about not worrying about the score too much is in the context of it being used for admission to the FSD beta test program. If and when this precise scoring system is used for something like setting insurance rates, then its imperfections would become much more important. Context is important.

Reactions: diplomat33
What's the difference between FSD and FUD?
Only U.

Or how about
Only you can create FUD from FSD.

Ah whatever. Still, anybody who gets FSD Beta might wanna disconnect from wifi at home to stop it getting taken away one night (would that work?)

No. Tesla absolutely has the ability to force an update over the vehicle’s cellular connection. When I got my 3 in 2018 I got several updates that way before they walked back over-the-air updates to over-your-wifi updates.

You’d still have the ability to delay installing it, but I think eventually the software would insist.

That is possible. I also think that we could see more delays in FSD Beta going out at all, even to the people with scores of 100. After all, developing FSD beta is difficult. There are lots of edge cases, possible regressions, etc... The dev team could tell Elon that 10.2 is not good enough for wider deployment. Maybe 10.3 won't be good enough for wider deployment.

Yea...i think the 1000 people/day estimate is typical Elon pulling a random number out of his rear before validating with the team. Releasing to new people every 24 hour doesn't give Tesla enough time at all to validate how the release is going, if it's safe, etc...

I'm guessing there will be one batch to some people with 100 score, and then he'll go quiet for a few day and we don't know what's going on.

Yeah, I think the 1000 people per day is suspicious too. it seems like a big number. If they continued at that rate, they would probably deploy FSD Beta to every FSD owner in just a few months. That's not early access, that's wide public deployment.

if they do 1000/day, it could just be until they hit their cap. So if they set a cap to say 10,000 people in Early Access, then they could deploy FSD Beta starting with people with scores of 100 and going down, for 10 days. And then stop deploying.

Maybe I am just feeling pessimistic but I feel like it might be awhile before we actually see FSD Beta.