Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

• No

Votes: 269 49.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 213 39.2%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received 12V warning #2 today, unfortunately a few weeks after my 4th year annual service visit and the expiration of my original warranty. Replaced my first 12V battery at 16,000 miles. I have 28,000 miles on my 60 currently.

Almost no supercharging (maybe once or twice?) and only nightly home charging since the last battery change. Alas.

Have had my ‘18 S100D 6-weeks. 4,500+ miles no troubles whatsoever but battery alert this week and replaced this morning. Tech said some recent firmware updates were putting a “strain” on OEM batteries. He did comment that it was unusual in a vehicle this fresh. Love the car.

Well today's the day... just got my first low 12V battery replace warning on the 2014 Model S and a new battery is on the way, ranger bringing one over. $210 CAD for the part.

155,500 km on the car

Even with my babying using the trickle charger every night... the original battery has tasted defeat in 4.5 years of daily use. But I'm pretty sure use of the Ctek has extended the life of the battery.

I'm not unhappy about getting 4.5 years from the first one. Seems OK. Hope second is just as good. I'll ask Ranger and find out if a battery firmware update is required. I suspect so.

It would be useful if we could get the number of drive cycles the car has done, and number of 12V top-ups it has done while parked.

Last edited:
Beware of the relay between the service battery and the main battery pack. They just replaced mine in my 2013 p85 it’s cost is $2300 for the part alone. No explanation as to why the relay failed. Car has 70k miles. Our 12 volt has been replaced 3 times. Other non warranty items replaced. $600 wheel sensor system. $500 water in taillights.

Beware of the relay between the service battery and the main battery pack. They just replaced mine in my 2013 p85 it’s cost is $2300 for the part alone.

Is this part otherwise known as "the contactor"? I think it's embedded in the pack and needs to be opened to access it.

Tesla had started a contactor replacement campaign and people were getting these done pro-actively under warranty years ago when they were failing and leaving people stranded roadside.

Yours probably fits into the VIN range... but weren't pro-active enough to get it done when it was free to you.

I'd be chatting to Tesla about that if it were me.

Is this part otherwise known as "the contactor"? I think it's embedded in the pack and needs to be opened to access it.

Tesla had started a contactor replacement campaign and people were getting these done pro-actively under warranty years ago when they were failing and leaving people stranded roadside.

Yours probably fits into the VIN range... but weren't pro-active enough to get it done when it was free to you.

I'd be chatting to Tesla about that if it were me.
Just picked up car. Reads Asy,dcdc converter 1850.00 when asked to describe its function. It’s the equivalent of a ice alternator. Asked to see the part was informed it was sent back to be evaluated. This new part comes with s 2 year warranty. Take care

Just picked up car. Reads Asy,dcdc converter 1850.00 when asked to describe its function. It’s the equivalent of a ice alternator. Asked to see the part was informed it was sent back to be evaluated. This new part comes with s 2 year warranty. Take care
Here's what it looks like: Power inverter question, in the early Model S's it was in the passenger wheel well, later models they moved it up centered behind the frunk. It's the silver device with the red grommet cover and yellow warning stickers. You can get them used on eBay for about $500

2012 - 2015 TESLA MODEL S DC DC CONVERTER ASSEMBLY UNIT 6009170-00-J 600917000J | eBay

model-s-passenger-side-wheel-well-png.203638

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks