Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably the wrong thread for it, and likely deserves its own poll... But I *do* think I'm suffering from a slightly loose/vibrating drivers side mirror. I've seen this mentioned before, so it may also be a somewhat widespread issue. In my case I think it is the mirror itself, not the mirror housing, that is vibrating.

I had a loose drivers side mirror on my MXP (was delivered that way). Was into service twice and each time they said they fixed it but did not. I finally fixed it myself. The front screw holding the mirror in from the inside was simply loose about 7 turns. It took me 5 minutes to fix it and it's been tight and vibration free ever since.

I have what I'd call a mild grinding like vibration when accelerating hard at any speed...even from 70 mph+. It's been there since day one. It has not gotten worse.

I do not have any hint of the cv shaft acceleration shutter that plagued me on my P85D until I lowered the car an inch immediately following the 4th shaft set replacement.

It could mean that you have worn the half-shaft joints in the low position and moving to the medium position moves to a different section of the joint. If that is the case the vibration would likely get worse as you drive more miles on medium.

That was my vote but you beat me to it. The ball channels circle around the joint and any change in angle will have the balls riding in a different part of each channel except every 180 degrees for the crossover.

I had a loose drivers side mirror on my MXP (was delivered that way). Was into service twice and each time they said they fixed it but did not. I finally fixed it myself. The front screw holding the mirror in from the inside was simply loose about 7 turns. It took me 5 minutes to fix it and it's been tight and vibration free ever since.

Awesome. How do you access the screw?

Was your entire mirror assembly loose or just the glass? My mirror glass wiggles.

Hours of wasted time just to experience gut wrenching frustration when all it took was 5 min with a screwdriver.

Sounds like my service experiences.

• Funny
Reactions: nilesborg
The entire assembly. That said the mirror cap pops off. I'll try it today and see if the mirror itself has fasteners that can be loosened.

I checked the service manual. The skull cap won't get you access to the mirror itself. The mirror is held on to the articulation actuator by 8 clips. It's either the mirror itself that is loose because of the clips or the two axis motorized actuator. The only way to tell is to pop the mirror off the clips and check the motorized mount for looseness otherwise it's the clips.

I strongly recommend getting the free subscription to the service manual so you can check out the procedure and decide if you want to try it.

• Helpful
Reactions: nilesborg
I checked the service manual. The skull cap won't get you access to the mirror itself. The mirror is held on to the articulation actuator by 8 clips. It's either the mirror itself that is loose because of the clips or the two axis motorized actuator. The only way to tell is to pop the mirror off the clips and check the motorized mount for looseness otherwise it's the clips.

I strongly recommend getting the free subscription to the service manual so you can check out the procedure and decide if you want to try it.
Thanks! I do have the free subscription to the service manual, so I'll have to take a look.

So, has anyone on this thread received .36 yet??

Does anyone have any indication if a fix is coming soon for the acceleration vibration? Tesla is threatening to cancel my order because I’ve been postponing my MSLR delivery for months now due this. I’d hate to loose my place in line and my deposit, although I’d hate more to spend a big chunk of change on a car with an annoying vibration that can’t be resolved.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any indication if a fix is coming soon for the acceleration vibration? Tesla is threatening to cancel my order because I’ve been postponing my MSLR delivery for months now due this. I’d hate to loose my place in line and my deposit, although I’d hate more to spend a big chunk of change on a car with an annoying vibration that can’t be resolved.
Honestly, I’d expect it to never be solved with this model. If you don’t want a car with this vibration, I highly suggest a different manufacturer.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc