Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at the risk of exhibiting my stupidity...
the only vibration I have ever felt was when the car misconstrued lane markings and tar lines in the road. iows it felt I was crossing a lane line and wasn't meaning to.
I believe most of the cars do not have it. Those that do are justifiably unhappy about it. I have never been able to detect any vibration in mine and I have over 22k miles on it.

The real question is why do some have it and other don't? If they could figure that out there would likely be a fix.

Last edited:
I believe most of the cars do not have it. Those that do are justifiably unhappy about it. I have never been able to detect any vibration in mine and I have over 22k miles on it.

The real question is why do some have it and other don't? If they could figure that out there would likely be a fix.
Conversely, I believe every single car has it or will have it after x number of miles. I’ve driven 5 or 6 and every one has had it to varying degrees.

I wonder if it is the tires. Twitter is showing the larger diameter wheel's tires are wearing very oddly. I have the aero size and the tires wear normal

Definitely not the tires. I felt a difference in switching between the 21" summer and 20" all seasons. That was just thevtirevtread, compound, and sidewall changing the feel. The vibrations still very present.

• Helpful
Reactions: brur and jebinc
tire flat spotting from sitting overnight. REsolves itself after a few miles. Common to any vehicle
I don’t think so. When it was happening for me I could go out, park for an hour, come back to the car and it would do it again for the first few minutes of the drive. Also note this did not happen on my 2021 S Plaid (only on my 2022 S Plaid), nor do I believe there are any reports of 2021s with this issue. This seems/seemed to be exclusive to 2022s.

Based on your comment are you not experiencing the vibration? If so what was the build date and how many miles on your Plaid?

Edit: I see August 27 delivery in your profile. Maybe it had been fixed on newer Plaids.
Mine was a very early build (June 3, 2021) and has never had the vibration. I have tried hard to duplicate what others are feeling but no luck.

Edit: I'm about 22k miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowFlyer
Mine was a very early build (June 3, 2021) and has never had the vibration. I have tried hard to duplicate what others are feeling but no luck.
I took delivery in August of 2021 and it had the vibration after about 1200 miles. It did not have the vibration before then. My 2022 (June, 2022) has had the vibration since the day I picked it up, along with the weird first minute or two of driving vibration many with 2022s are reporting. It makes me think that this is possibly solvable with firmware, since the weird first minute or two vibration feels the same as ~35+ mph vibration.

Based on your comment are you not experiencing the vibration? If so what was the build date and how many miles on your Plaid?

Edit: I see August 27 delivery in your profile. Maybe it had been fixed on newer Plaids.
August 27, 2021 have never had a hint of vibration. I did lower it on links the first week and forged wheels in the first month but I took the links off for a week a few months ago and had no vibration either. What I think is interesting is that someone posted that after a front shock replacement that their car started vibrating.

Reactions: SnowFlyer

Edit: I'm about 22k miles.
The fact that you’ve never had the vibration and are at 22k miles on your MS tells me this should be readily solvable IF Tesla wanted to make the effort. The fact that they have not solved this yet (at least publicly) seems pretty ridiculous.

I dealt with the acceleration shudder on my current 2017 MS for 2 years with many inconvenient trips to the service center (which is 5 hours round trip away) until it was finally resolved. I don’t care to repeat a similar Tesla service experience.

As I said in a previous post I have a MS in order and have been delaying delivery for months. Tesla is now threatening to cancel my current MS order if I don’t take delivery ASAP. I think I’d rather loose my position than risking buying another $100,000 Tesla rattle box and repeating my previous ex of multiple frustrating repeated 5 hr round trips to the service center with nothing resolved for months or years.

If they cancel me Id be hard pressed to buy another Tesla again. Of course after all of the above nonsense maybe that’s the most sensible approach regardless.

Reactions: jebinc
The fact that you’ve never had the vibration and are at 22k miles on your MS tells me this should be readily solvable IF Tesla wanted to make the effort. The fact that they have not solved this yet (at least publicly) seems pretty ridiculous.

I dealt with the acceleration shudder on my current 2017 MS for 2 years with many inconvenient trips to the service center (which is 5 hours round trip away) until it was finally resolved. I don’t care to repeat a similar Tesla service experience.

As I said in a previous post I have a MS in order and have been delaying delivery for months. Tesla is now threatening to cancel my current MS order if I don’t take delivery ASAP. I think I’d rather loose my position than risking buying another $100,000 Tesla rattle box and repeating my previous ex of multiple frustrating repeated 5 hr round trips to the service center with nothing resolved for months or years.

If they cancel me Id be hard pressed to buy another Tesla again. Of course after all of the above nonsense maybe that’s the most sensible approach regardless.
Save yourself lots of heartaches and cancel.. Tesla cares little about putting out quality products these days, and even less about good service. My $0.02.

Yeah, I'd cancel. The vibration is only one of the many issues I've had with mine. I've had seven service visits to correct issues from delivery. I'm still not done. At least one to two more visits coming up. I'm only 20 minutes away, but it's annoying. I'm done with Tesla after this car.

Yeah, I'd cancel. The vibration is only one of the many issues I've had with mine. I've had seven service visits to correct issues from delivery. I'm still not done. At least one to two more visits coming up. I'm only 20 minutes away, but it's annoying. I'm done with Tesla after this car.
Yep, many of us feel the exact same way. I’ve not been able to connect to my car for months remotely (from the app) when it’s asleep (I.e. not using Sentry). Tesla has no idea, don’t seem to care enough to make any efforts to fix it, and just canceled my service appointment when I made one this past week, saying they, essential, just don’t know. So poor… Months of this. (Open images in reverse order).

Anyway, when it comes to the vibration, it’s just rubbish. No other new electric car of this price has this issue I guarantee it.

Attachments

• FE88982B-8995-48D5-9676-4F94C9EB86EE.png
    FE88982B-8995-48D5-9676-4F94C9EB86EE.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 041804A3-E12E-40E1-B13D-DF7EB5E4F4A3.jpeg
    041804A3-E12E-40E1-B13D-DF7EB5E4F4A3.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 47