Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Will you eventually buy Tesla EV, Powerwall and Glass Solar Roof?

Will you eventually buy Tesla EV, Powerwall and Glass Solar Roof?

• Eventually I will have all 3

Votes: 51 65.4%
  • Probably will have 2 of the 3

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Probably will have 1 of the 3

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish there were more options to choose from or change the word 'probably' to 'possibly'. I installed a new roof and added panels a year ago so those are out. I might 'possibly' consider a Powerwall but would need to crunch numbers first to see if the costs works out.

I wish there were more options to choose from or change the word 'probably' to 'possibly'. I installed a new roof and added panels a year ago so those are out. I might 'possibly' consider a Powerwall but would need to crunch numbers first to see if the costs works out.
So when you need a new roof in 20 yrs, is it eventually a possibility given the cost/benefit is acceptable?

No, eventually means no time limit..."at some point in time." You many not need a new roof for 20 years.

Then there is no point to the poll for a site slanted toward Tesla afficionados.... my answer changes to 1)

I think that the question is a relevant one if you institute a time horizon.

I'm in the start of Year 5 of my relevant solar period and just broke even for my solar panels last year. Installing the new Solar Roof is wanted, but just doesn't make sense in the short term.

Not probably, currently have a 2014 Model S 85 and a Powerwall 1 attached to my 3.6Kw Solar installed last month.
upload_2016-11-4_10-6-56.jpeg

Then there is no point to the poll for a site slanted toward Tesla aficionados.... my answer changes to 1)

I think that the question is a relevant one if you institute a time horizon.

I'm in the start of Year 5 of my relevant solar period and just broke even for my solar panels last year. Installing the new Solar Roof is wanted, but just doesn't make sense in the short term.

Elon is making a long term play here, I'm testing the interest among the "aficionados" for his vision. Bold mine.

"consumers can look forward to deploying and consuming energy in an efficient and sustainable way, with SolarCity’s existing solar power systems and ultimately with a solar roof, a Powerwall 2 that maximizes the benefits of the combined system, and a Model S, Model X or Model 3, all while lowering costs and minimizing dependence on fossil fuels and the utility grid"

You don't forsee the need or desire to go all Tesla EVER (my answer was originally like yours, but OP says no time limit)
House was built in 2008 with a colourbond (steel) roof, so I'm not saying never but by the time I have to replace the roof there should be many more options than Tesla tiles.
Partner is an architect and we want to build a passive hose with little to nil energy requirement, for our retirement, but that's at little ways off yet.

Elon is making a long term play here, I'm testing the interest among the "aficionados" for his vision. Bold mine.

"consumers can look forward to deploying and consuming energy in an efficient and sustainable way, with SolarCity’s existing solar power systems and ultimately with a solar roof, a Powerwall 2 that maximizes the benefits of the combined system, and a Model S, Model X or Model 3, all while lowering costs and minimizing dependence on fossil fuels and the utility grid"

Yup. We want all 3. Will probably do so in the next house. Already put money down for batteries, but that can move with us, like the car.

Nope. Just the car.

solar - already have it for 10 years and now my energy is free.
I have a flat roof anyways so don't need fancy tiles.

Powerwall - no unless I can somehow make money buying and selling to cover cost within 5 years. But unlikely. Ran the numbers on Powerwall 1 and it was like a 15 year ROI.

Would love to do all three but I live in Southwest Michigan. Still need to research exactly how much return from the sun I'd get here when the sun spends a few months out of the year absent due to snow and clouds. Particularly interested at how snow on our roofs here December through March(ish) would impact the setup.

We live in the State of Washington ~ the cloud and rain side:) Bought solar panels for roof on primary home in 2913. Sold shell oil stock, bought Tesla stock and have never looked back. Bought what was to be get away home in late 2014. Am replacing windows w/3 panes now. Probably will sell primary home and move full time into lake house full time w/in two years. As we move forward in our transition to the Dragon's Den (lake house) we will buy a Model III or X depending on son-in-law taking my III. And, my wife buying into the Model X. She will not become my X, not after 43 yrs. She would have to toss me out. Okay, back to timeline ~ the lake roof is out w/in couple of years and will be replaced w/Tesla roof and powerwall. At that point I can sit back and catch trout. Oh, we both retired last March & April, so, not much in the way of progress.

We have a 2 year old home, so the likelihood of replacing the entire roof is extremely low.

We have periodic, short power outages in our area - and can be at risk of hurricanes (infrequently needing coverage for a longer power outage after a hurricane). We could be interested in getting 1 or 2 of the PW2's, but there isn't enough information on the Tesla website to understand what Tesla is actually providing in a non-solar roof configuration, and, at least so far, Tesla hasn't responded to an e-mail request for additional information - which we need before we place an order.

The other question is how much roof actually needs to be replaced. It might be possible that we could get enough power to make a dent on our electricity bills by only replacing part of the roof.

Need much more information than what Tesla has on their website right now...