Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Will you use your Model 3 on road trips?

In general, will you take your Model 3 on road trips?

• Yes.

Votes: 124 68.1%
  • No.

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • For some road trips but not others.

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • I'm not sure yet.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I don't really go on road trips.

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title says it all... Friday afternoon = time for a poll.

Personally, we'll probably take my spouse's Nissan Murano on road trips because it has considerably more cargo space. I guess we'll see, though - maybe we'll fall so in love with EAP that we wouldn't want to live without it on a long trip.

Pretty much the same as my S. Prior to my S we always took my wife's SUV on road trips, because it had more room. Now we take the Tesla whenever convenient, because it's so much nicer to drive. I have a pretty low tolerance for spending extra time charging, though. I'm most likely to take it if I can do the round trip on a single charge (which will still be a broad radius for the Model 3 LR, 2 hours each way). Or at most generally if I have to stop at one supercharger for the round trip or there is destination charging.

Other people seem much more willing to spend time at superchargers, though.

Pretty much the same as my S. Prior to my S we always took my wife's SUV on road trips, because it had more room. Now we take the Tesla whenever convenient, because it's so much nicer to drive. I have a pretty low tolerance for spending extra time charging, though. I'm most likely to take it if I can do the round trip on a single charge (which will still be a broad radius for the Model 3 LR, 2 hours each way). Or at most generally if I have to stop at one supercharger for the round trip or there is destination charging.

Other people seem much more willing to spend time at superchargers, though.
I've figured that if I were to get an S instead of the 3, we'd use that for road tripping for sure. (I actually compared the S's cargo space with the Murano's at one point and found out that they are almost identical - pretty impressive for the S!)

That said, I don't currently own a Tesla so have never experienced the thumb twiddling at a Supercharger and hadn't really considered that aspect of it. I do know that often they are located near restaurants and such, but still, that does add some planning/timing complications that you don't have when road-tripping with an ICE.

Because you might have a family and find that you can't fit them + all their stuff. :(

I'm driving a car that's roughly the same size now, and there is no way we'd use my car on a road trip.

Yeah that's not a concern I'll ever have, I have no interest in being a parent and neither does my girlfriend. If her mind changes on that, so will my usage of the word "girlfriend" to describe her.

If I get a 3 it will replace my S as my only car and the majority of my miles are road trips. So, yes, the 3 would be used for very long road trips. I'll miss the free Supercharging with my S though — I've made 156 Supercharging stops with my current car in a year and a half, all of them on road trips.

Reactions: AlanSqB
I have an X and I'm waiting for my 3. I did a lot of reading before getting either, and concluded I could road trip in a Tesla. And I do.

I've had my X in Pittsburgh for about 17 weeks and I have about 15,000 miles on it. I've driven to Connecticut, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Chicago, New York and Nashville. Next week, I'm driving to the state of Washington.

Stopping to charge every several hours is a blessing. I get out and walk a bit. I sit down and have a sandwich. The use more Marriotts for the restroom than Exxon stations. SuperChargers are open all night. Sometimes I take a [much needed] nap.

I actually have come to like the SuperCharger lifestyle for long trips. It's when I'm in an actual hurry to go 200 miles and back that I pause and think of whether to take the Toyota Highlander. And I never have.

My family takes 2 kinds of road trips. Long haul (about 1x to 2x per year) and day trips (maybe 4x per year). I could see us using the Model 3 for the day trips but not Long haul. We have an Odyssey and we just need too much stuff for our long haul trips so that will continue to be our long haul vehicle.

Our long haul trips usually are from Texas to Cali or Florida. The day trips might be to the gulf coast or Dallas from Austin.

Yeah that's not a concern I'll ever have, I have no interest in being a parent and neither does my girlfriend. If her mind changes on that, so will my usage of the word "girlfriend" to describe her.

Ditto!

As far as the road trips go, I will have to see how the charging infrastructure is developing when I receive my M3. I'm not a patient person and I do like road trips, so if I can time a supercharger visit with lunch etc it'll be fine, but if I end up twiddling my thumbs for 45mins just because I ran out of charge I can see me getting/keeping an ICE for road trips and general hoonigan behaviour.

Reactions: pk-sd
Ditto!

As far as the road trips go, I will have to see how the charging infrastructure is developing when I receive my M3. I'm not a patient person and I do like road trips, so if I can time a supercharger visit with lunch etc it'll be fine, but if I end up twiddling my thumbs for 45mins just because I ran out of charge I can see me getting/keeping an ICE for road trips and general hoonigan behaviour.

Yeah I think the supercharger usage will be somewhat interesting. I don't mind just sitting around and reading for a bit or whatever, and honestly I don't take "road trips" per se frequently anyway.

I go to SoCal at Christmas most years with my gf to hang out with her family and we usually do that drive between like 11pm and 6am to avoid traffic, so that should be no big deal, one or two supercharger stops and maybe take a powernap and/or eat.

Ski trips to Tahoe are what I'm not really sure what to expect with. On flat ground in 70°F temps I could go there and most of the way back in theory, but uphill in the cold makes me wonder… presumably I should be able to stop and top off at a supercharger right before I go into the mountains, and then hit it on the way back, but that's speculation.

Ditto!

Exactly !! Your car should not be the deciding factor for when to stop or where to eat or which hotel to spend the night etc etc. It should be your stomach... or your mood... or your spouse....or your kids.

Last edited:
Yeah I think the supercharger usage will be somewhat interesting. I don't mind just sitting around and reading for a bit or whatever, and honestly I don't take "road trips" per se frequently anyway.

I go to SoCal at Christmas most years with my gf to hang out with her family and we usually do that drive between like 11pm and 6am to avoid traffic, so that should be no big deal, one or two supercharger stops and maybe take a powernap and/or eat.

Ski trips to Tahoe are what I'm not really sure what to expect with. On flat ground in 70°F temps I could go there and most of the way back in theory, but uphill in the cold makes me wonder… presumably I should be able to stop and top off at a supercharger right before I go into the mountains, and then hit it on the way back, but that's speculation.

That's an extremely common trip to take using superchargers. Stop in Sacramento for a half hour on the way up. If you don't have destination charging (a lot of ski resorts do) you can hit the Truckee or South Lake Tahoe supercharger when there. On the way home you can stop at any number of superchargers, or with a LR Model 3 you could probably make it all the way home without charging.

I picked yes, this is the way I see it going down.

For short day trips 100-200 miles absolutely. (Adds no charging time)

For 400 mile overnight trips absolutely. (Will add one stop add 20-30 mins of supercharging with destination charger available)

For long 600+ mile trips I don't know yet will probably give it a try once or twice but my wife said she won't be very tolerant of frequent supercharging stops.