Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was announced a year ago. See Porsche Announces BEV Concept Car - "Mission E"

You made your post in the Tesla Motors "Future Cars" forum, which is for future cars that Tesla may decide to build. You post should have been made in the "Electric Vehicles" forum which is for EVs built by other manufacturers.

I have requested that a moderator merge this thread with the existing thread I linked to.
The moderator moved this thread to this forum. I did not originate it her.

The information contained in my post is recent and deserves its own thread.

The moderator moved this thread to this forum. I did not originate it her.

The information contained in my post is recent and deserves its own thread.
Your thread title is "New Porshe Electric Car". You first sentence is "Porsche has introduced the Mission E." That is why I responded that this concept car was "announced a year ago", because it was. It is not "new", nor was it just "introduced". It's a year old.

And there is an existing thread about Porsche considering building a new charging network here Porsche to build charging network, Tesla compatible

That thread is in the Electric Vehicles forum, where it should be, and where this thread should be.

• Helpful
Reactions: AndreN
Porsche has introduced the Mission E, a new 600 hp electric concept car to enter production before 2020. In addition, Porsche announced its intent to build a supercharger system able to deliver 248 miles of range (400 km) in as little as 15 minutes, or 80% of the vehicle’s expected 310 miles of range per single charge. Being able to charge this quickly would require at least 150 kW of power, topping Tesla’s fast-charging Supercharger. Interestingly, Porsche also announced the charging network would be available to Tesla ( and likely MB) cars with an adapter (wonder if Tesla has agreed to reciprocate).

Porsche also announced it has no immediate plans to produce a self-driving car.

No sales price for the car was given. I wonder why. $250,000 +?

Porsche to build its own fast-charging network: 150 kW and Tesla capable?

The competition continues to ramp up after Tesla has blazed the trail.
Sounds like a case of if you can't beat them then join them. If
Porche could get a reciprocal arrangement with Tesla excluding other brands, that could work for both companies, just thinking hypothetically. Tesla
Holds all the Aces on that front at the moment.
German's must be worried. They
Lost the prestige of making the first performance/luxury EV. And the paradigm has shifted. Tesla will always own that. Now they just have to keep it. Bring on the next roadster!

Porsche IS Audi/Lambo/ VW/ Seat. At this point the major platform level changes for EVs and infrastructure will need to be considered across the VW empire. I'm sure that the people at Porsche believe that they can make these decisions independent of wider VW but (I think) when it really sinks in what is need to transition from ICE to EV that independent franchise decisions will be too expensive compared to a wholesale shift. My prediction is that within the next 24 months we will see a major restructuring in VW in order to take advantage of EV architecture across the various brands.

Agreed ... The VW group is way behind the curve and is now playing catch up with Tesla. :cool:

Classic mistake in business strategy is to assume your competitors will be standing still while you innovate. That's especially true if your competitor is run by Elon Musk.

But look where Musk is going and where Porsche prides itself, and tell me if you see the same goals? I see Mission E as on a totally different trajectory, of maybe a Pike's Peak record in 2018/19, and maybe a 200k price tag, in 2020. Production ~1k-5k. IOW, not really competitive with Level 4/5 autonomy, for an average price of ~70k, on production of >500k.

The charging math reveals the bluff, however. They'd never play this fast and lose with engine numbers. 150kw? It would be preaching to the choir, to try and reconcile 15 minutes to 248 miles. That disappointment is worse than I expected, even for VW Group. I should have focused on how going from 9kwh, to 14kwh, in the PHEVs, and the 120 mile eGolf are really big events for them.

Porsche Unveils Prototype Battery-Driven Sports Car - WSJ

Or...
Google
(click the first link to see the article and sidestep WSJ subscription requirement)

Porsche hasn't yet said where this car will be charged, the capacity of the battery, or how many GWh of cars they will produce per year. Currently Tesla produces 4GWh of cars per year (50,000 cars averaging 80kWh each - just my napkin math)

I would still like a BEV Porsche that did 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and could drive around a track until the battery was flat. Unlike the Tesla which goes into its flaccid mode after a few minutes.
Surely this is hyperbole from Porche. My guess is they are hoping they can achieve the performance by the time the car comes out. This smacks of flailing around trying to maintain brand image, which all the luxury Euro performance marques seem to be doing right now without any actual rubber hitting the road. Its all concepts hyperbole and over the top marketing releases.

Meanwhile Tesla carries on building unbelievable cars, from a virtual standing start, and continue to improve them at a very fast pace.
Who knows what the new Roadster will be like when they make another. But I wouldn't doubt it will blow every other electric sports car away, including the mission E. Its got its reputation to keep after all.

I read that Tesla had poached the interior designer of the mission E(concept car of the year). Could this be a game changer for future
Tesla cars. They could do with an interior improvement. Look out Euro electric cars.

A new kid in town ... Rimac Concept One beats Porsche 918 Spyder in quarter mile, the era of ICE supercars is over

With the release of the Tesla Model S P100D in August, and deliveries last month I knew it was time to RIP combustion engines on the supercar circuit. The P100D hits 60mph in 2.5 seconds and hits a quarter mile in just over 10 seconds. The Model S also seats as many people (7) as a minivan, is very street smart and it part of a large and growing production line vs. the typical supercar which are only hand made in batches of 100 or so. Imagine if you built a limited production electric car optimized just for speed and not carrying a whole family. Enter the Rimac Concept One.

We’ve discussed Rimac quite a bit in the past. They are a Croation startup by namesake Mate Rimac that provide parts for other high end vehicles. They even make this insane Greyp bike. But they’ve also showcased their incredible 2-seat Concept One Supercar which was developed in-house. Recently Rimac started shipping these and the one in the video below was delivered to the US last month. This thing has 1088hp delivered to 4 motors that drive the wheels through 2-speed transmissions allowing for much higher top speed than Tesla’s Model S. Youtuber Salomondrin got to take the Rimac Concept One against a Porsche 918 Spyder, officially the fastest production supercar in the world in the 0-60 and no slouch at the quarter mile either.

I’ve queued the video, below, up to the 5 minute mark where the race actually happens. As you can imagine, the Rimac wins handily with a sub-9.9 second time. While the Spyder is officially listed slightly faster at a 9.8 second quarter mile and a few other vehicles actually beat the 918 in the quarter, it is pretty much game over when a small Croatian startup is taking on the Porsche’s of the world. There is so much left for electric vehicles to optimize while we’ve seen the biggest companies in the world eaking out ever smaller improvements out of internal combustion.

Think about how far electric has come just in the past four years. The original Model S P85 was at 4.6 seconds 0-60. Folks are making 1968 Mustangs 0-60 in under 2 seconds and others are already hitting 1MW and beyond. Imagine what will happen in another 4 years.

Reactions: hiroshiy and ohmman
Is This the Porsche Mission E Prototype Testing at the Arctic Circle?

is-this-the-porsche-mission-e-prototype-testing-at-the-arctic-circle_16.jpg

Maybe I should also post it in Electric Conversions :D

• Funny
Reactions: hiroshiy
IMHO the design of the sensor that is under the front bumper is not very good for areas prone to snow and slush. This gets blocked up pretty quickly, partially because of its concave design. IMHO they should have a lens covering over this to keep snow and ice out.

My Canadian bretheren who bought some of the early Model S's also said that the defrosting/defogging vents weren't well set up.

Reactions: jgs
I wonder if Tesla does cold weather testing of their vehicles? Some times it doesn't seem like they do. I don't think that Porsche will have much luck using lane markings for autonomous driving on that road!
I live in the Sierras and do daily cold weather testing of my 85D with cold weather package and air suspension.
It's fantastic!
Best handling snow car I've ever had. Even better than my Land Rover. Heated steering wheel is best feature.
Of course, AP1 doesn't work without lane markings but I really want to be in charge on snow covered roads.

I agree that the car handles very well but there are some niggling things that bother me, and you brought up one of them. The heated seat setting is persistent for the front seats, but the heated steering wheel has to be turned on whenever you get in the car. Why can't it be persistent as well as I would want to turn it on in November and leave it on until April. It would be even better if you could turn it on remotely and also turn on the rear defroster through the app so that you could melt the snow and ice before you arrive at your car.

IMHO the design of the sensor that is under the front bumper is not very good for areas prone to snow and slush.
Agreed. It doesn't seem to be a big problem when the temps are well below freezing, though, only when it's hovering right around the freezing point. The "wintry mix" is the worst. I think when it's well below freezing, the front sensors are also well below freezing and the precip just slides off. But when you're getting liquid water deposited on a front sensor that's below the freezing point, it can cake on thickly, pretty fast.
This gets blocked up pretty quickly, partially because of its concave design. IMHO they should have a lens covering over this to keep snow and ice out.
The concavity contributes but last time I had this problem the whole front bumper had a pretty good layer of ice on it. But I bet it wouldn't be that hard to do an aftermarket (or even DIY) radome and test the theory. You could probably do a first cut by (ahem) duct taping a conveniently-shaped piece of plastic in place. (I suffer from this problem seldom enough that I'm not highly motivated to put my effort where my mouth is...)

Of course, AP1 doesn't work without lane markings but I really want to be in charge on snow covered roads.
What is it going to be like in 10-20 years from now when autonomous driving is ubiquitous and it snows? No one will be used to driving on dry, bare roads but when the snow comes they will have to take over control and drive in poor conditions. That could get ugly.

What is it going to be like in 10-20 years from now when autonomous driving is ubiquitous and it snows? No one will be used to driving on dry, bare roads but when the snow comes they will have to take over control and drive in poor conditions. That could get ugly.
When autonomous driving becomes ubiquitous, the sensors will have the same relationship to the ones we have today as the Hubble Space Telescope does to Newton's first reflector. Ditto the control packages, etc. Also, IMO there will be one of two prerequisites for autonomous driving to be truly ubiquitous: either the AI will have to be genuinely as flexible as a human (so, able to handle any snow a human can), or we'll have to modify our road infrastructure and rules to accommodate autonomy. I'm betting on the latter, it's way easier, and we have a past history of doing it repeatedly (roads transitioning from being mixed-use to being cars-only, introduction of the interstate highway system, etc).

I agree that the car handles very well but there are some niggling things that bother me, and you brought up one of them. The heated seat setting is persistent for the front seats, but the heated steering wheel has to be turned on whenever you get in the car. Why can't it be persistent as well as I would want to turn it on in November and leave it on until April. It would be even better if you could turn it on remotely and also turn on the rear defroster through the app so that you could melt the snow and ice before you arrive at your car.
... niggling...

As I said I live in the Sierras and it's a popular tourist destination for flatlanders (most of California doesn't have winter or snow). Anyway, they all come up on weekends and holidays to play in the snow and they have absolutely no idea of how to drive in the snow. It's a zoo. It's already ugly. I can only hope that autonomous driving gets much better and can handle snow.

Reactions: hiroshiy and jgs