Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....That is cool, and I desperately want to see that CCS network build out. They've got catching up to do, and they need to hustle. I would like to be able to shop freely for BEVs other than Tesla without this being a big concern. I'm just afraid that the CCS "standard" charging system, ironically, may be retarding progress. You have a standard that works with every brand, then every car company wants somebody else to pay for building the stations. Nobody feels directly responsible for it in the same way that Tesla are for their network.

OMG isn’t that last part of your post so true. Considering how Tesla is such a small company compared to these big giants and Tesla could build all of what they have in addition to its great Supercharger network is just an example of how amazing Tesla and it’s leadership is. Makes you wonder where these other car manufacturers would be if not for dieselgate footing the bill for a lot of these new stations. Also makes me wonder about their emission standards.

Anyone heard how Porsche dealers or even Electrify America will be able to make 350 kW charging pencil out when demand charges for the first charge of the month will be in the neighborhood of $10,000 to $12,000? I just don't see how they can make it work with a small number of 350 kW cars using the charging network...I know that Porsche said they would charge gasoline-equivalent prices to charge, but even that won't cover costs...

The chargers at dealerships work with a battery which as far as I understand doesn't make them that expensive, but results in a limited amount of very fast charges in a certain time frame. I think the goal is really just to quickly charge cars for test drives or find charging errors during service at customer cars rather than enabling long distance travel. Keep in mind that compare to Tesla Porsche is not going to have a big Taycan test drive feel like Tesla.

Electrify America can be used by everyone so you will also have iPace, e-tron, EQC drivers and so on charging there. I think they will have a pricing that makes it attractive for other EVs to charge too at least as long as it doesn't result in long wait times. At the end of the days it's a fee market and I think once the cars are there more companies are going to get into the charging station game.

Anyone heard how Porsche dealers or even Electrify America will be able to make 350 kW charging pencil out when demand charges for the first charge of the month will be in the neighborhood of $10,000 to $12,000? I just don't see how they can make it work with a small number of 350 kW cars using the charging network...I know that Porsche said they would charge gasoline-equivalent prices to charge, but even that won't cover costs...

With 20,000 a year for the entire world, they won't have to worry about it too much for a while. I notice you also live in a part of the country with very high electricity prices. Washington State is among the lowest, but our residential rates are $0.08/KWH here. A bit more in the Seattle area.

I suspect one of the applications for batteries will be at fast chargers to keep the demand rate down. There is already talk of this sort of thing in various commercial applications. With a smart battery system, they can charge the batteries from the grid when demand is lowest, then when demand is much higher, they can charge cars with the batteries as much as possible. On months with big holiday travel peaks like Thanksgiving and Christmas, they might have to pay more than other months when they can more effectively smooth out the usage.

I'm sure Tesla is considering this at high use superchargers, even where solar is not very feasible. Tesla is going to be the biggest user of fast chargers for years to come.

Ok, so first it was only teenagers. Now it's people that can't afford a Porsche. The Venn diagram is going to be very complicated by the time you actually have a correct assertion, I think.

0-60 time is a number often cited by car people to compare performance between cars. But in the real world, most drivers don't care what the numbers are, they just want to be quick enough to be able to get on the freeway without getting lunched by a semi. Though Porsche buyers are probably more likely to be among those who do care about the 0-60 time than say the average Toyota buyer.

Just cancelled my extra Model 3 reservation (had 3) and put in the 1K deposit on the Taycan. Will have the Teslas still in the home but I have a BMW 435i that will likely need to be replaced in around 3-4 years. Porsche has always been one of my favorite cars, particularly the 911 Turbos. They have high customer satisfaction, great build/reliability, and they usually over deliver on performance specs from whats reported. 4 seater sleek sports sedan looks appealing and its supposed to be under the Panameras starting price. Hopefully the Model S will have a redesign/added features by 2021 and can choose between the 2. Glad Tesla woke up all the other companies to strive to be better.

hmmm - where have I seen that steering wheel before..

DPfslrC.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
But in the real world, most drivers don't care what the numbers are, they just want to be quick enough to be able to get on the freeway without getting lunched by a semi. Though Porsche buyers are probably more likely to be among those who do care about the 0-60 time than say the average Toyota buyer.

In the real world Men who buy $80k plus sport sedans and sports cars, and Yes it is mostly men, care very much about bragging rights.

Porsche loved 0-60 shootouts when it was 911 vs other ICE sports cars.

Rear engine rear wheel drive cars are superior for 0-60 vs front engine or mid engine rear wheel drive ICE cars.

You have all that weight over the drive wheels putting pressure on the tires creating friction. Meaning more power to the ground to move forward.

People who want a car that is just good enough to merge safely on the freeway spend below $60k and usually below $40k on a car.

A Lexus ES and Buick LaCrosse are quite nice cabins to spend time in with adequate performance.

No, not really.
Porsche bragging videos usually look like this, straight from the car company. I haven't seen drag racing promo videos from Porsche.

Yes, really.

Bragging rights for 0-60 is important to owners. Particularly American owners.

And American owners are very important to 911 sales.

And NOW Porsche doesn't care so much.

Now race courses are all important. Because Tesla is kicking Porsche's ass in 0-60.

Yes, really.

Bragging rights for 0-60 is important to owners. Particularly American owners.

And American owners are very important to 911 sales.

And NOW Porsche doesn't care so much.

Now race courses are all important. Because Tesla is kicking Porsche's ass in 0-60.

America and their obsession with drag racing is getting less and less important.
China and Middle East is all the new rage.
Chinese already buy 50% more Porsche than US-Americans.

Porsche-AG-worldwide-sales-q1-2017.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911