Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they planning on making a station wagon version of this?
Panamera Station Wagon looks so good.

image-1166912-860_poster_16x9-ismc-1166912.jpg

FRX6196-e1527806859309-1600x856.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am afraid that the final launch version will be the slab sided Panamera clone... very sad considering the design potential :cool:
You are totally correct, I'm 83rd in line for a mission E, I'm waiting for some free time to go pick up my deposit for the Taycan, if I wanted a baby Panamera EV I would keep my reservation.
They quoted safety reasons for changing the doors, even a Saturn had them and most quad cab pickups, so that cant be the case. Gimmicks like induction charging will not make it a better car, I'm very disappointed in the final product, sure it will be a good car but I don't think its going to be a great car. Now I will await patiently for the emotion to reveal itself. Hopefully Porsche will do a U-Turn but I think they are unfortunately going for customers who like conventional cars and that may well be where the majority of their market is now, if so I hope they sell as many as they make, I doubt it will lure away people with brand preference as its gone from WOW, to ho-hum. Audi's offering is so similar from many angles, it's probably a better car, only time will tell.

You are totally correct, I'm 83rd in line for a mission E, I'm waiting for some free time to go pick up my deposit for the Taycan, if I wanted a baby Panamera EV I would keep my reservation.
They quoted safety reasons for changing the doors, even a Saturn had them and most quad cab pickups, so that cant be the case. Gimmicks like induction charging will not make it a better car, I'm very disappointed in the final product, sure it will be a good car but I don't think its going to be a great car. Now I will await patiently for the emotion to reveal itself. Hopefully Porsche will do a U-Turn but I think they are unfortunately going for customers who like conventional cars and that may well be where the majority of their market is now, if so I hope they sell as many as they make, I doubt it will lure away people with brand preference as its gone from WOW, to ho-hum. Audi's offering is so similar from many angles, it's probably a better car, only time will tell.
You make some good points. I used to dream of having a Porsche. Now when I see a Cayenne, or a Macan, or a Toucan - oops soon to be Taycan I just don't get the mojo. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's what you said about being too conservative and boring. The performance might still be there in the Taycan or it might not. It has to be way better than a P3D to justify twice the price. And I mean in handling, suspension, road feel, seating, tossability, straight line acceleration, and safety. Otherwise no mojo.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
You make some good points. I used to dream of having a Porsche. Now when I see a Cayenne, or a Macan, or a Toucan - oops soon to be Taycan I just don't get the mojo. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's what you said about being too conservative and boring. The performance might still be there in the Taycan or it might not. It has to be ay better than a P3D to justify twice the price. And I mean in handling, suspension, road feel, seating, tossability, straight line acceleration, and safety. Otherwise no mojo.

I dreamed of having a Porsche too. Unlike you I had my dream fulfilled years ago. Been there done that but no longer own one. People can say it's "heritage" but I agree with you it's becoming too conservative and boring after all those years. Porsche designers are spoiled that they could keep doing the same old stuff and some people will still gaga about it. On the flip side their hands are tied. Their fans would only accept the Porsche "heritage", or so they think. The EV is their last chance to go bold and modern since it is supposed to serve the new crowd. If this is what they got I think they blew the last chance.

Thats like saying Porsche can’t build targa’s and convertibles without them being great handling. Being high up means little when you are sideways against a tree.
If you could post where the Saturn failed the safety compliance I’d love to see it.
Porsche also cares about the sales projections, period, and that means building for the masses.

And the Saturn has a great safety rating for side impact?

Pickup trucks already have the safety advantage of sitting higher.

Porsche also cares about sportiness and stiffness and those doors don't help with that either.

Pickups are also body on frame, so there is a heavy structural member running under the cab that can absorb side impacts that no car made today has. Though the battery packs on Teslas and some other floor mounted EVs have some similar structural advantages.

It's more than side impact that is a problem with suicide doors. The biggest danger is opening into traffic. A standard opening door will peel back on its hinges if somebody hits the door while its open, but a suicide door will slam shut on the person getting out of the car in that situation. So a passing car hitting a normal door might result in a hand injury or shrapnel injury if parts of the door shatters, but someone getting out of a suicide door can be killed or suffer serious injuries more easily. That's how they got the name.

I get that but there not banned and you can’t cure people from not looking, there usb a car around that doesn’t have a proximity warning system on blind spots. The plain fact is the mission E never made it to production, the panamera EV did. Daring to be different by building a car that’s the same as the last one is not exactly inspiring, but that’s why I still have my 924CGT.

I get that but there not banned and you can’t cure people from not looking, there usb a car around that doesn’t have a proximity warning system on blind spots.

The plain fact is the mission E never made it to production, the panamera EV did.
Daring to be different by building a car that’s the same as the last one is not exactly inspiring, but that’s why I still have my 924CGT.

The truth will set us free... :cool:

Reactions: BBone
A lot of this chat regarding Porsche and heritage seems a bit misguided. The heritage is to build a drivers car, something that exites you. Not everyone gives a crap about that and just want to get where they are going with less emphasis on the how. I’ll tell you I’ve owned quite a few p-cars and still have three. My biggest regret? Selling them and sell gone in particular. The one I regret selling most was my 04 996 GT2 for an obscene amount of money. However there were some other gems in there as well. I still currently own an 04 996 GT3 which I’ve asked my children to convert into a mausoleum for when the old mans passes. The other is a 991.2 GT3 and while it’s quite amazing it is miles different from the Metzger motored 04 car. These cars really bare no resemblance to each other cosmetically or mechanically. They share one thing, exhilaration on the open road. People howled when then 991.1 GT3 was PDK and electric steering and the death of the Metzger engines—until they drove them. The .2 offered manual and some refinements. Check the market and see how difficult it is to buy one near MSRP, even used.

Given the above why can’t the same continue through electrification? I think, and am hopeful, that it does. I look forward to the release of the Taycan.

Wth regard to final design, what makes anyone think any of these Panamera looking test mules will be the final car? It would seem if you were gong to camouflage the car they have plenty of those Panamera body panels laying around. They’ve even put faux exhaust tips on many that I’ve seen on the internet and covers of the headlight lenses to further disguise the car. I’ll reserve my judgement until I see the final product delivered. And while I quite Iike then the Tesla X, Y design aesthetics are a bit odd.

Lastly it seems many portray themselves as EV fans but on deeper review they are really only Tesla fans—which is ok. However, having competition is not only good for consumers it’s good for tesla. Remember when blackberry was never going to lose market share to the iPhone? Hasn’t android put huge pressure on Apple? I know but muh supercharger network. Agreed huge advantage and a part of the appeal but if the the US, I can’t speak to their parts of the world, is going to have a successful EV market then charging issues need to be solved and I believe it will be. I’m curious if the move from steam to petrol has the same debate—I can pump water at home. How are they going to build out that network of filling stations? I’m being a bit cheeky with that last bit. Everyone should be excited and rooting for all these other makers—in the end everyone with interest in EVs can win.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and tga
@Zer0t As a car guy, tech guy, Tesla fan and EV fan I don't see a purpose of the Taycan outside the Porsche corporate office. It does not advance any of those things I'm interested. It's all for the better if Porsche just stop making the 20,000 or so Taycan and let Tesla to sell a lot more cheaper, better and more modern cars. It will not happen that way of course but I think you can see how I feel in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
Porsche released production pictures of the finished car.
The doors are in standard configuration and 90% of people will think it’s a Panamera, same as the Touareg was always confused with the Cayenne.
E7A18832-36D6-4E7A-B71E-CA4F311C7F5F.png

Again I’m sure it will appeal to the masses and I’m grateful for something different from a model S, but if your shouting about a ground up build shouldn’t it look different than from electrifying your ICE car. A lot of people still think the roadster is just a Lotus with an electric motor.

@CarlK its seems you’re more of a Tesla fan than EV fan. Define better? Build quality? Not Tesla’s strong suit. Cheaper? S and X cars go for quite a bit of money. Porsche’s aren’t going t sell down market with their EV they don’t do it with their ICE platforms so why start now.

You know what I WAS also a Porsche fan. I had a Porsche Cayman S parked side by side with a Model S in my garage for two years. One is a version of a half century old design. The other is a modern vehicle that will be followed by everyone in the next half century. If Porsche wants to stay the easy and safe way and keep the 20th century "heritage" it's its choice. I want no part of it though.

If you think a car with the same old tired look, mediocre acceleration (and for heaven's sake that is a Porsche?) and without any of the modern technology is an upmarket car only because you can charge for more there is a logic I just can't comprehend.

Last edited:
A lot of this chat regarding Porsche and heritage seems a bit misguided. The heritage is to build a drivers car, something that exites you. Not everyone gives a crap about that and just want to get where they are going with less emphasis on the how. I’ll tell you I’ve owned quite a few p-cars and still have three. My biggest regret? Selling them and sell gone in particular. The one I regret selling most was my 04 996 GT2 for an obscene amount of money. However there were some other gems in there as well. I still currently own an 04 996 GT3 which I’ve asked my children to convert into a mausoleum for when the old mans passes. The other is a 991.2 GT3 and while it’s quite amazing it is miles different from the Metzger motored 04 car. These cars really bare no resemblance to each other cosmetically or mechanically. They share one thing, exhilaration on the open road. People howled when then 991.1 GT3 was PDK and electric steering and the death of the Metzger engines—until they drove them. The .2 offered manual and some refinements. Check the market and see how difficult it is to buy one near MSRP, even used.

Given the above why can’t the same continue through electrification? I think, and am hopeful, that it does. I look forward to the release of the Taycan.

Wth regard to final design, what makes anyone think any of these Panamera looking test mules will be the final car? It would seem if you were gong to camouflage the car they have plenty of those Panamera body panels laying around. They’ve even put faux exhaust tips on many that I’ve seen on the internet and covers of the headlight lenses to further disguise the car. I’ll reserve my judgement until I see the final product delivered. And while I quite Iike then the Tesla X, Y design aesthetics are a bit odd.

Lastly it seems many portray themselves as EV fans but on deeper review they are really only Tesla fans—which is ok. However, having competition is not only good for consumers it’s good for tesla. Remember when blackberry was never going to lose market share to the iPhone? Hasn’t android put huge pressure on Apple? I know but muh supercharger network. Agreed huge advantage and a part of the appeal but if the the US, I can’t speak to their parts of the world, is going to have a successful EV market then charging issues need to be solved and I believe it will be. I’m curious if the move from steam to petrol has the same debate—I can pump water at home. How are they going to build out that network of filling stations? I’m being a bit cheeky with that last bit. Everyone should be excited and rooting for all these other makers—in the end everyone with interest in EVs can win.

Mezger forever! :cool:

Reactions: Zer0t and tga