Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Terrible is a bit harsh. I just didn’t expect it to look dated before it was released. Especially with all the ‘air’ intakes in the front bumper. I like that most new cars are smoothing the fronts out where as Porsche are making it busy again, like they thought they needed to cool the turbo ‘noise maker’ they are installing.

Too many screens and probably soft buttons....guess it ain't designed to be a robo taxi :D

Taycan production interior spied!

Porsche Taycan Production Interior2.jpg

Porsche Taycan Production Interior.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Eno Deb
I also find it a bit strange that Porsche has to do a two gear transmission for a performance that is only "under 3.5 sec 0-60". Is Porsche/VW's EV technology so behind that it has to sacrifice simplicity and reliability just to squeeze out a little more perfomance to not be too embarrassed by Tesla? It just does not look good to me.

I also find it a bit strange that Porsche has to do a two gear transmission for a performance that is only "under 3.5 sec 0-60". Is Porsche/VW's EV technology so behind that it has to sacrifice simplicity and reliability just to squeeze out a little more perfomance to not be too embarrassed by Tesla? It just does not look good to me.
Maybe Tesla wanted to do it .... but they couldn't. But...Tesla doesnt need all that fancy stuff if their primary goal is for FSD and Robo Taxis.
Porsche Taycan 2-Speed Rear Transaxle: Performance Modeled

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Maybe Tesla wanted to do it .... but they couldn't. But...Tesla doesnt need all that fancy stuff if their primary goal is for FSD and Robo Taxis.
Porsche Taycan 2-Speed Rear Transaxle: Performance Modeled

Why would Tesla want to do it when it could get 2.4 second 0-60, or better, without it? To keep transmission engineers employed or to make dealer service department happy?

I believe the answer is, if you have watched the Sandy Munro Model 3 tear down, that Tesla has much better motor and power electronics technologies that it could get all the torque and power it needs without having to rely on the extra gear. I remember one time the Corvette only allows you to launch at the second gear (for the reason of getting better EPA gas mileage). You don't need the first gear with all those torque and power available from the engine.

Last edited:
Why would Tesla want to do it when it could get 2.4 second 0-60, or better, without it? To keep transmission engineers employed or to make dealer service department happy?

I believe the answer is, if you have watched the Sandy Munro Model 3 tear down, that Tesla has much better motor and power electronics technologies that it could get all the torque and power it needs without having to rely on the extra gear. I remember one time the Corvette only allows you to launch at the second gear (for the reason of getting better EPA gas mileage). You don't need the first gear with all those torque and power available from the engine.
Maybe they wanted more top end pefromance. Maybe their motor ain't giving them the needed performance on one gear. Maybe their software engineers couldnt code in the needed performance with one gear. Could be a kludge...Germans have their reasons...we'll find out soon enough. Just glad there are more driver centric EVs coming out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30seconds
Maybe they wanted more top end pefromance...Germans have their reasons...we'll find out soon enough. Just glad there are more driver centric EVs coming out.

I thought Taycan's top speed is 150 mph. It goes without saying Porsche wants top performance but I just can't think of a justification for Porsche to do this if not for to squeeze out a little more performance otherwise it could not get. Driver centric-wise I don't believe it could do better than even the Model 3. Model 3 performance is beating BMW M3, the gold standard of performance sedan, on the track but also have much better ride quality on the road. Any whitewash can't hide the fact that like everyone else Porsche is just behind in EV technology. It's pretty clear already.

Reactions: WarpedOne
I thought Taycan's top speed is 150 mph. It goes without saying Porsche wants top performance but I just can't think of a justification for Porsche to do this if not for to squeeze out a little more performance otherwise it could not get. Driver centric-wise I don't believe it could do better than even the Model 3. Model 3 performance is beating BMW M3, the gold standard of performance sedan, on the track but also have much better ride quality on the road. Any whitewash can't hide the fact that like everyone else Porsche is just behind in EV technology. It's pretty clear already.
Wasn't the model 3 designed primarily for FSD and for robo taxis...thus the one screen, key card, etc. Sounds like they moded the base design for "performance" use...heck...they were coding the sw after cars were delivered. Not really clear to me cuz....like I haven't seen the Taycan yet...guess you have :D.

Wasn't the model 3 designed primarily for FSD and for robo taxis...thus the one screen, key card, etc. Sounds like they moded the base design for "performance" use...heck...they were coding the sw after cars were delivered. Not really clear to me cuz....like I haven't seen the Taycan yet...guess you have :D.

Yes it is. Although it was also designed as a perfomance sedan with best technology tesla is to offer from the beginning. In the Model 3 unveiling Elon commented we don't make slow cars. The performance model was actually one of the first variation available. Even the base model likely will perform at least as good as the base Taycan model but at less than half the price.

When I said it "looks" that's just a fugurative speak. No one has seen or knows what the real Taycan is like which is another problem if you're interested in the car.

I bet they are trying to beat the P100D in the quarter mile

• Funny
I can't believe anyone is actually taking their reservation numbers and production guidance seriously. They are flat out liars.....factual liars. They're doing whatever they can to try and present the Taycan in a positive light.

Looking forward to the actual release when ya know......they'll actually have to post EPA numbers, battery degradation, sales/production numbers, and so on. I've already had a good laugh at the Ipace and Etron, lets bring on more

Taycan is only sold out because gullible buyers thought it would look like the concept...they've been had!
Maybe...maybe not...maybe they'll get more cancellations then Tesla did..but I doubt it. I do have a feeling that the interior with have some genuine Alcantara :D.

I can't believe anyone is actually taking their reservation numbers and production guidance seriously. They are flat out liars.....factual liars. They're doing whatever they can to try and present the Taycan in a positive light.

Looking forward to the actual release when ya know......they'll actually have to post EPA numbers, battery degradation, sales/production numbers, and so on. I've already had a good laugh at the Ipace and Etron, lets bring on more
Why the hate..more EV choices the better...right?

Reactions: afadeev