Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20200117_104549_HDR_01.jpg

Not clear what is happening here, my guesses in order of likelihood:
1. Car being towed to nearest charger due to running out of juice.
2. Car being towed due to mechanical breakdown.
3. Car being towed due to software blue screen of death.
4. Car being towed to auto auction by disappointed owner one day following delivery.
5. Car being returned to dealership for lemon law refund.
6. Car being delivered to new owner.

RT

Most likely being delivered for a magazine shoot at this stage, or an owner taking it to the track.
The person is not a commercial hauler (USDOT/etc numbers), has an affordable but robust single car trailer (car haulers carry a few cars), and an affordable but not overblown tow vehicle. Something a dealership or car collector would buy who is concerned about expenses.

Range is clearly better for Tesla than the competition. That being said, they tend to have a highway range lower than EPA reported - by a larger margin than other automakers. Here is a range comparison recently posted on youtube.

For those who did not watch the video, it was done in UK with a starting outside temp of 7C (45F) dropping to 5C (41F) at the end of the trip, mostly on highways with cruise control speed set at 70 mph. They compare the range with the WLTP - shows how unrealistic is that system. When comparing with the EPA here is what you get:

Mercedes-Benz EQC - EPA expected range 210-220 miles, done 194 miles: 88-92% of expected EPA range
Audi eTron - EPA 204 miles, done 206 miles: 101% of claimed range
Nissan Leaf Plus - EPA 226 miles, done 208 miles: 92% of claimed range
Jaguar iPace - EPA 234 miles, done 223 miles: 95% of claimed range
Kia E Niro - EPA 239 miles, done 255 miles: 107% of claimed range
Tesla Model 3 - EPA 322 miles, done 270 miles: 84% of claimed range

Conclusions:
1. EPA range is much closer to highway range than WLTP (albeit cars driven at only 70 mph - slower that most would do in US)
2. Model 3 had the longest range, but the lowest as percentage of EPA
3. Good news for future Taycan owners: highway range in less than ideal conditions should be close to EPA range - one would expect it should behave similar to the e-tron.

I think the biggest issue for non-Tesla EVs now is the lack of reliable, high quality charging infrastructure.

View attachment 501707

Not clear what is happening here, my guesses in order of likelihood:
1. Car being towed to nearest charger due to running out of juice.
2. Car being towed due to mechanical breakdown.
3. Car being towed due to software blue screen of death.
4. Car being towed to auto auction by disappointed owner one day following delivery.
5. Car being returned to dealership for lemon law refund.
6. Car being delivered to new owner.

RT
Looks good, though.

Mercedes-Benz EQC - EPA expected range 210-220 miles, done 194 miles: 88-92% of expected EPA range
Audi eTron - EPA 204 miles, done 206 miles: 101% of claimed range
Nissan Leaf Plus - EPA 226 miles, done 208 miles: 92% of claimed range
Jaguar iPace - EPA 234 miles, done 223 miles: 95% of claimed range
Kia E Niro - EPA 239 miles, done 255 miles: 107% of claimed range
Tesla Model 3 - EPA 322 miles, done 270 miles: 84% of claimed range

I think the biggest issue for non-Tesla EVs now is the lack of reliable, high quality charging infrastructure.

Thanks for posting, however, I am not sure that Porsche/Audi achieving rate EPA range of 204 miles is a good thing. :eek:

Why is everyone ignoring that Taycan S tests show similar range to M3LR on 85mph Autobahn in Germany? I'm german, yes, but I drive a Tesla I own more TSLA than my MS is worth but I'm not gonna ignore the facts here ... Taycan seems to deliver everything Porsche promised except ... the price point. At the moment the Taycan charging curve is much more aggressive than the M3LR one - this used to be different, in 2018 the M3 curve was much more aggressive. But serously, if you want a luxurious Sedan the Model S looks sooo dated on the EV side compared to the taycan, MS charges sooo slow, it's not even fair game .... so let's aknowledge what Porsche delivered and hope for revamped MS this year.

This is the test I'm referrich: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Last edited: