Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that Porsche doesn't have the same "100% EV" focus as Tesla even with a ground up new architecture. From aerodynamics to interior I think Tesla always pushed for more efficiency whereas Porsche needs to deliver a "Porsche." Plus the loss from the transmission and added weight. Overall the Taycan is substantially heavier than the S, even while it is smaller.

If the next Model S is a major re-do and includes learning from Model 3 like the cooling & air handling system as well as reduced wiring from Model Y then there may be an even bigger gap in weight in favor of the S.

You mean as in new platform? If not its the same 7 year old platform with new motors, interior, and headlights. Is the Model 3 production techniques backward compatible with the Model S thats built on a totally different line, maybe, but I doubt it.

One thing is clear from the fully charged video, Porsche have oriented the charging for the Taycan such that the charge rate is still strong as you get to 80% and above in SOC range. This experience for new EV owners might be oriented to be different than the Tesla approach where new owners post "why is my car charging so slow" messages on this forum.

Reactions: gowthamn
Why does it make little sense? EV performance falls off as the motor RPM increases. Low first gear means greater torque multiplication for hard launches. I.E. better performance with a less powerful motor. Then shift into overdrive to keep the revs lower at higher speed and allow stronger higher speed performance.

This has been largely unnecessary because even though performance at higher speeds is reduced, it's still quite brisk well above the limit in most places. Except Germany, with the remaining de-restricted autobahn sections.
Well, yeah, let's put it this way: the gearbox helps to provide good performance at both lower and higher speeds, as opposed to focusing on only one range. And as I said earlier, it not only matters on the Autobahn (where passing power at higher speeds is important, and not only in completely unrestricted sections), but also track performance. It would be interesting to compare the 100-200km/h numbers with a high-end Model S.

Reactions: gowthamn
Looks like an 8-10 week delay in delivery start:

Porsche notifies Taycan reservation holders about production delays

But the legacy automakers are supposed to be able to crank out thousands of cars at the flip of a switch, per all the Tesla naysayers, right?

Is it possible that there is still a learning curve, even for legacy automakers, when it comes to building EV's? ;)

RT

https://electrek.co/2019/11/20/porsche-taycan-electric-car-production-delays/

The German automaker has been sending a message to reservation holders warning them of the delay, which should push deliveries to around March 2020 (translated from Norwegian): Delays in production

Taycan is our first fully electric sports car. The car is developed from scratch and manufactured in a brand new factory. All Porsche employees have worked with full pressure to start delivering Taycan as scheduled in January. Still, as a result of the enormous complexity surrounding the production of Taycan, we must report that unfortunately the delivery dates are somewhat delayed.

We currently expect delays of around eight to 10 weeks, and a new production time for your car will be communicated through your seller as soon as this is ready. We strongly apologize and guarantee that we will do everything we can to deliver your Porsche Taycan as soon as possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: noicepls