Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple thoughts:
Almost 200 of 500 locations are Porsche dealers which will not generally aid long distance travel.

Walmart’s: oil and water with re: to Porsche owners/travelers.

"The Walmart charging stations are part of a broader Electrify America project to install 2,000 chargers at nearly 500 charging stations across the country by June 2019."
If you look at the map below you can see that its quite similar to Tesla's network. And why do you posit that those locations would "not aid long distance travels"? Do you have facts for this claim?
First of all I think that's not true, secondly most travels are not long distance. And when they are, these companies are installing many chargers all across Europe and USA.

Also, where did you get that 200 figure?

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
"The Walmart charging stations are part of a broader Electrify America project to install 2,000 chargers at nearly 500 charging stations across the country by June 2019."
If you look at the map below you can see that its quite similar to Tesla's network. And why do you posit that those locations would "not aid long distance travels"? Do you have facts for this claim?
First of all I think that's not true, secondly most travels are not long distance. And when they are, these companies are installing many chargers all across Europe and USA.

Also, where did you get that 200 figure?

Porsche had 189 US Dealerships two years ago...that's close to 200 don't you think?

btw: Sigh, troll much?

.....3 posts, one knocking the 3, two applauding the Mission E.

• Love
Reactions: jimmyjohn
Not sure. Their deadline is more than a year away and they are well funded. Let's hope they don't operate on Elon time. ;)
A year isn't much time to get leases in place, etc. I suspect they're already behind schedule. I searched online and there is nothing-nada-zip about any associated activity (not that a google search is definitive, but something usually shows up).

A year isn't much time to get leases in place, etc. I suspect they're already behind schedule. I searched online and there is nothing-nada-zip about any associated activity (not that a google search is definitive, but something usually shows up).
So far, 2 Electrify America locations are open (plus chargers at their HQ) and another 10 are “coming soon”.

Their 50+ highway and perhaps their ~110 community DC charging locations in California for the first of four 2.5 year cycles are being designed and constructed by the same firm that puts in Tesla Superchargers (Black and Veatch). Other regions on the country are handled by other contractors.

Electrify America sets initial prices, adds location map to website

As per @Jeff N , the work is started. As long as they are making progress, customers will buy the cars. Tesla sold cars in 2013 with some "coming by end of year" superchargers still not here, but it doesn't detract many customers as long as they see progress.

As per @Jeff N , the work is started. As long as they are making progress, customers will buy the cars. Tesla sold cars in 2013 with some "coming by end of year" superchargers still not here, but it doesn't detract many customers as long as they see progress.
Point of clarity, nothing more (just to keep history accurate) - Tesla sold Model S well BEFORE they ever announced the Supercharger network. Not with a 'coming soon', but not a peep. We were all stunned when the announcement occurred.

First Model S delivered: June 2012
Supercharger network announced: May 2013​

And that's not even counting all the reservations they had in place before the Supercharger announcement.

To clarify, I'm not saying you said that. But people not familiar with the history will not realize how things rolled out.

Point of clarity, nothing more (just to keep history accurate) - Tesla sold Model S well BEFORE they ever announced the Supercharger network. Not with a 'coming soon', but not a peep. We were all stunned when the announcement occurred.

And that's not even counting all the reservations they had in place before the Supercharger announcement.

To clarify, I'm not saying you said that. But people not familiar with the history will not realize how things rolled out.
Thanks. I didn't catch the Tesla bug August 2013, so just learned something new. Personally as long as their network is deploying at a good pace, I would absolutely consider a Porsche EV as my next vehicle - comparing against what Tesla has available at that time and considering my previous Porsche and Tesla ownership experiences - for example with Tesla I always has stellar service, but then again with Porsche the car just didn't need service as much. Porsche also never sold me a horsepower spec only to later tell me the car would need a 50% power boost to reach it, because they "forgot" to mention that only part of the car is capable of the advertised hp, so this leaves me with much less trust in any Tesla promises.

Reactions: MikeBur

People’s memory of history timelines gets easily garbled.... we actually knew about the Superchargers in all but their name in the fall of 2011 long before the first Model S was delivered in the spring of 2012.

Here’s a news article that mentions them from Oct. 01, 2011:
BREAKING: Tesla Making Faster 2012 Model S, 0-60 In Under 4.5 Seconds
When the batteries are depleted, Tesla says even the 300-mile range Model S will be able to recharge from empty to full in under an hour thanks to its new direct current external charger. The 90 kilowatt units will be installed by Tesla at suitable rest-stop locations or hotels alongside arterial freeways such as I-5 between Canada and Mexico.

The official Supercharger announcement was not in March 2013 because the network was already up and running in late 2012.

Here is Tesla’s archived website from Nov. 24, 2012:
Supercharger | Tesla Motors

42BE8CBD-E99E-459D-813D-D23F1E8F2933.jpeg

The official announcement was September 24, 2012 (the solar panel part of the plan hasn’t really worked out yet):

It is probably true that folks began placing reservations for the Model S on March 26, 2010 well before specific rumors of Superchargers leaked out but the concept of DC charging was not new.

But, people were talking about non-Tesla cars and DC charging networks in the summer of 2010 so it was obvious that Tesla would be able to charge on a DC network of some kind — we just didn’t know Tesla would roll out their own proprietary network aggressively with 90 kW charging until a year or so later in mid-2011 or a bit later.

Here is CNET talking about DC charging on July 28, 2010:
Will DC fast charging harm electric car batteries? - Roadshow

The CHAdeMO standards effort was announced around March 15, 2010 a few days before Tesla began taking Model S reservations:
Japan auto, power giants target global electric car standard

Last edited:
Same here as well. I had driven my Cayman to Walmart, McDonald's, and many other "value" stores. I don't see the association and links between the two.
Not just that. When traveling long distances by car I was even more likely to go to large chains, like Walmart, since it was often the only store I recognized. I also ate at McDonalds while traveling, because their food is consistent coast to coast and least likely to cause any digestive upset, even though typically I would rarely go to McDonalds while in home area.

Best comment: Mark Webber sounds like ever other car salesman.....what a come down. :D
He calls it a "game changer." How so? The fact that there is no Porsche Supercharger system, other than going to a Porsche dealer? The fact that an owner has to deal with a dealership? Does the car OTA update? What's with the exhaust ports in the rear fascia? o_O No, it is not a game changer. It is a welcome, not fully developed compliance car addition to a game that Tesla changed 6 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark and EinSV
I just read that Electrek article. The quotes from Porsche test driver Mark Webber of course have to be interpreted realizing that he works for Porsche. Obviously the Mission E is not a “game changer”. Tesla has written the rules of the game and has been winning the game for a decade now. There is no credible evidence that Porsche is going to win the EV “game”. Porsche is going to in the awkward situation of half-heartedly promoting the Mission E while at the same time telling customers what fantastic ICE cars they make.

I am confused by the appearance of the car shown in the video. It doesn’t look much like the Mission E concept car, and what the hell are those exhaust ports for?

As for where you will fast DC charge it in the US, I suppose initially some Porsche dealerships will have chargers, but of course that’s not a useful long distance charging network. There are a small number of combo CCS chargers out there, but not many.

Porsche is so far behind its laughable. But they love acting like they are in the vanguard of the EV revolution.

Reactions: bhzmark and EinSV