Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too funny... vroom, vroom :cool:

capture-png.450449
Note that this does NOT make a combustion engine sound. It makes more of the EV sound.

• Funny
Reactions: Scott7
Curious...do those dealer's w/o those chargers....do they have any Taycans ready to be delivered?
I'm thinking that maybe they'll get those chargers when they start getting some cars.

No Taycans ready for delivery in the Bay Area... I suspect that an additional dealer markup will be in play for early allocations.

Perhaps we should wait for the GT2 or RSR reservations? :cool:

Check out the new article on the Porsche Taycan. At $150K plus fees for the base model and the Turbo upgraded Model at $185K that will leave many want to be Porsche owners out of luck.
https://jalopnik.com/the-750-hp-202...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-09-04

I checked out the Porsche configurator for the Taycan today. First time I ever tried their configurator.

I configured a Taycan Turbo S with almost every option to see what it topped out at. Answer: $230K USD

Besides this eye-popping price, two other things struck me:

1) Their configurator technology is crappy. Slow, buggy and unintuitive.
2) They have SO many options! I tried to check all the boxes to get a max optioned car...but there were so many choices (many of them conflicting with each other which triggered multiple rounds of 'in order to add X, you need to remove Y" dialog boxes)...I got tired and may have missed a box or two.

While on one hand, you can certainly order a Porsche that will be FAR more uniquely appointed (dozens and dozens of options) and customized than you can (or ever could) with a Tesla, I have come to appreciate the ordering process for a Tesla more now than I had before.

All of that said, I do wish Porsche the very best and if they can convince some died-in-the-wool Porsche fans to go electric, then more power to them. Hopefully will be more than a small niche product, but the pricing is more than I was expecting, so we'll see.

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.55.31 PM.png

Honestly main barrier to this will be price. Many stretched to buy an 80k Tesla in 2013/2014 but im guessing most won't be able/be willing to stretch to 165k. This won't be a mainstream vehicle for sure.
Price is pretty reasonable for a Porsche.
Of course this is not going to be a mainstream vehicle. I don't think Porsche all of a sudden decided to make budget cars.

Taycan Turbo: $150,900
Panamera Turbo: $153,000
911 Turbo: $161,800

Taycan Turbo S: $185,000
Panamera Turbo S: $187,700
911 Turbo S: $190,700

This pricing makes me wonder if Tesla made a mistake in not updating Model S and keeping the high price or introducing a more expensive higher performance version that fixed some of the performance & battery issues Porsche is emphasizing for differentiation at the 180k price point and made huge profit per vehicle. Did Tesla lower price of Model S because they wanted to reach the most consumers possible (ie speed up transition to sustainable energy) or as an attempt to keep sales afloat for an older model in lieu of updates. I think the Tesla brand is seen as premium/elite as Porsche is to the average consumer. At this pricing the roadster may be the more direct competitor especially if they can give it 4 usable seats. Hopefully Elon has something up his sleeves and we'll get an announcement at the Truck event, Model S should be the best vehicle in its class in all categories.

5JMJ, wow... You are out of your mind if you think Tesla is considered elite / premium, especially when you compare it to a Porsche. Once all the other auto manufacturers start jumping into the game as Porsche has, your so called “Elitist” car will fall into the level of a high end Buick. Wake up, what makes the Tesla brand special now is that it is basically the only option for anyone who wants to enter the EV world. You try selling any Tesla at the Taycan’s price point and sales will plummet. There’s not a Tesla built today with the build quality of any Porsche. Besides, these vehicles were made for two totally different types of people. Elon is pushing these cars to become nothing more than a taxi, you get in and tell it where you want it to take you and it goes there. And if you read so many of the posts here on this site, a large percentage of the Tesla owners can’t wait until the car can drive itself. People that buy a Porsche buy it because they enjoy driving. Driving to them is a thrill and a pleasure whereas so many Tesla owners see driving as a necessary evil that keeps them from being able to keep up with their social media texts and tweets. Sure, at the moment Tesla’s cars may have a slight advantage in range and power but there is no way a Tesla will ever be able to out handle the Taycan. Did Tesla’s first iteration of EV car perform at its current level? No it didn’t, give Porsche a little time and I bet they match or surpass the performance level of any Tesla. Especially since they have several EV race cars to perfect performance, something they have always done and been known for.

Wow, the specs are super disappointing. Only a 280 WLTP range? Thats like 220 EPA range. Two speed transmission? Ewww. Half the reason I got a Tesla was to avoid having a car that was always in the wrong gear or busy shifting. The interior looks ho-hum, seems like a straight copy of the Panamera. Its still going to be a very heavy car (for a "sports car") I can't imagine it actually handles significantly better.
Show us one Porsche that doesn’t handle as good or better than any vehicle in its class?

Last edited:
I went to the porsche taycan preview because one of my friends pre ordered one without knowing anything about it. At the preview they had a concept car. We couldn't see the interior, because there was none and all the windows were tinted. They didn't have info about the battery life, options, or really anything useful. They just kept saying everything is under progress. All they said is it will be similar prices to a the Porsche Panamera. The concept car didn't have mirrors or door post, which they said they will have to change on the actual models because of US standards. Seems like everyone who wants a porsche electric car should just stick with tesla!
I guess you haven’t read all the threads in the forum where Tesla has promised this and Tesla has promised that. But in the end it’s the same thing, what is finally received is something totally different than what was expected. If I remember correctly, there’s a thread now where everyone is complaining because they had to pay for certain Tesla options but yet people who are receiving their vehicles now are getting those same options free when they didn’t pay for the upgrade. This happens with every manufacturer don’t kid yourself.

Reactions: gowthamn