Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan EPA range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should see some of the sh!t I'm taking on Rennlist from one idiot poster for this video. His belief is that the Taycan's EPA result somehow "doesn't count" because the other "data points" (meaning the AMCI test and also results from other testers) show that the car clearly can go more than 201 miles without hypermiling.

I must say that I am very curious about this. Personally I believe that the real world range is 250 miles and can't understand why this car does so poorly on the EPA test.

I am a long time Rennlist member (same Userid) and Porsche owner.

I'm afraid that even Porsche admits that the EPA numbers are legit and they only want to remind buyer of their other strengths... YMMV.:cool:

Reactions: Needsdecaf
I am a long time Rennlist member (same Userid) and Porsche owner.

I'm afraid that even Porsche admits that the EPA numbers are legit and they only want to remind buyer of their other strengths... YMMV.:cool:

Exactly. As I have posted there, Porsche has not disputed the EPA results. In fact, they themselves submitted them to the EPA and the EPA marked them confirmed. It's not like Porsche handed the EPA a Taycan and were surprised by the results.

Still, I am very curious. There seem to be multiple reports, anectodal of course, of far more than 201 miles on a charge. To make a Tesla hit the EPA range is, well, not difficult, but it just doesn't "happen". And yet multiple reports of journalists who have little to no EV experience regularly exceeding the 201 mile range. I spoke at length to a journalist I know who was on the initial European launch. He has fairly extensive EV experience, having owned several including a Tesla. So I trust his understanding of EV's. He indicated that even hammer down, 200 miles of range was easily exceeded by many.

And then there is the AMCI test. I for one believe this test to be legitimate, as AMCI isnt't going to allow themselves to get dragged through the mud just for Porsche's sake. They have many automotive clients and can't afford to have their integrity called into account. So what is it about their test vs. the EPA test that results in the EPA test being so low? And why is the EPA test for the Taycan so much lower than the WLTP? Lower than the delta between WLTP and the EPA for, say, a Model S?

Very curious.

Nonetheless, the car does have other strengths. And when Porsche starts getting fleet miles under their belt and analyzes the data, the Macan EV and the Boxster / Cayman EV's will be very strong products.

Reactions: FlatSix911
You should see some of the sh!t I'm taking on Rennlist from one idiot poster for this video. His belief is that the Taycan's EPA result somehow "doesn't count" because the other "data points" (meaning the AMCI test and also results from other testers) show that the car clearly can go more than 201 miles without hypermiling.

I must say that I am very curious about this. Personally I believe that the real world range is 250 miles and can't understand why this car does so poorly on the EPA test.

I'm there too. (whiz944) I have my theories. But Porsche has not been very forthcoming in true technical details. So I guess we'll just have to learn from those who are stepping forward and making the first purchases.

Thanks for the video, Jason is always very informative. The Taycan Turbo is just too heavy and not efficient enough, the range is rather low and the price is pretty high.

Frankly, if I were to spend my money on a Taycan Turbo, I might as well just go for the Panamera Turbo or Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, and call it a day.

Perhaps this is the likely outcome of Porsche's decision to simply modify a Panamera body to "make" an EV?

Similar to MBZ, these half-effort designs to create EV's using something already in production is simply sub-optimal.

The results speak for themselves: every non-Tesla EV effort we've seen so far has excessive weight, poor efficiency, and is a generally poor quality EV experience.

Pity that the legacy industry is so attached to the ICE . . . it may be their doom if they don't get their acts together ASAP. (See: Kodak, Nokia, et al.)

This is the first example of the EPA range for the Taycan S that I’ve come across.

Apparently the car has been rated at 192 miles of EPA range and 68 MPGe. The specific car can be found at Porsche Palm Springs at this link https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/798346640/overview/

B42416B4-78F1-4223-A32A-489CF9BC5FD6.jpeg

Remember the prior published values were for the Turbo not the Turbo S. Not surprisingly the Turbo S is worse. You can see this in the WLTP numbers too. There is some discussion about this earlier in this thread. Though my guess was wrong, it is in the range of what I expected.
Yikes. 192 miles for the top of the line Taycan? They just set EVs back a few years...

• Love
Range is indeed much less than expected, which is a disappointment. The car is a beautiful design though and drives very well, that is why many will buy it.

As you can see several forum members lurk on the Taycan forums - which should tell you there is interest in the Taycan from current Tesla owners, myself included.
After 2 years with a P3D (and before that 3 years of P85D), I recommend those who want a car that drives very well and has excellent technology the model 3 - over anything else. However, neither model 3 nor model S are as refined and welcoming in the interior as my Merc E-coupe. This is where Porsche did a great job, and that is why I will replace the Merc with a Taycan rather than a Tesla. Judging by the chatter on the Taycan forums, I am not the only one making the switch.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Perhaps this is the likely outcome of Porsche's decision to simply modify a Panamera body to "make" an EV?

Similar to MBZ, these half-effort designs to create EV's using something already in production is simply sub-optimal.

The results speak for themselves: every non-Tesla EV effort we've seen so far has excessive weight, poor efficiency, and is a generally poor quality EV experience.

Pity that the legacy industry is so attached to the ICE . . . it may be their doom if they don't get their acts together ASAP. (See: Kodak, Nokia, et al.)

The Taycan is way, way different than a modified Panamera body. The only thing similar is the air suspension (modified), PDCC and RWS system.

The entire chassis is changed to accept the battery pack, which is a fully structural member.

• Funny
Are there any reviews out there comparing the features of the latest Tesla Auto-pilot (with FSD) and Porsche offers on the Taycan?

I could not find any good user review of the Porsche Innodrive system, will probably be similar to the e-tron system. I assume Tesla will be clearly superior to both in terms of features, upgrades. I assume the Porsche will be just at the level of Autopilot from 2014 or so.

Reactions: axhoaxho
Does Porsche make any recommendations about daily charge level? Do they recommend 50-80% as Tesla does?

Exactly, you aren't going to run the car down to 0% charge, especially with limited charging infrastructure, so lets say you account for a 30+ mile range before you risk being stranded, and you charge to 90% instead of 100% for battery longevity. That means you can go out for a ride, but it's going to likely be limited to 2 hours or so before you're done.

Exactly, you aren't going to run the car down to 0% charge, especially with limited charging infrastructure, so lets say you account for a 30+ mile range before you risk being stranded, and you charge to 90% instead of 100% for battery longevity. That means you can go out for a ride, but it's going to likely be limited to 2 hours or so before you're done.

It is definitely going to be worse than with a Tesla - for both the density of superchargers and the lower range. But I would say perhaps not as drastic as you are mentioning. Daily driving assuming you don't have a huge commute should be OK. For the day trips I currently charge our model 3 to 100% - and I am planning to do the same with the Taycan. That will give you ~200 highway miles in summer, and I assume around 150-160 in winter. Recent e-tron testing in mild winter in Germany (5-10C) showed a highway range of 170 miles; I suspect Taycan should do a little better, so even accounting for the much colder Minnesota I still think over 150 miles.

• Informative