Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan Vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drove a Porsche Taycan 4s on a 400 mile twisty mountain route with 6000 feet of vertical climb. OMG. Ordered one immediately. My MS is so junky in comparison. It’s like driving a slapped together 1990s video game. And the aporsche has Apple Car play and Apple Music!

(moderator note: posts in this thread split off from a discussion in the model 3 section about apple carplay. They were off topic for that thread, so posts were split off into their own thread, and thread moved into the electric vehicles subforum.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just test drove a Porsche Taycan on a 400 mile twisty Mountain Road route with 6000 feet of vertical climb. Oh my god what a dream. My MS is slapped together junk compared to this car. Ordered one immediately. The MS in comparison is like a 1990s video Game. And the PORSCHE has Apple CarPlay and Apple Music!
So, how much do you get paid to post this? You should give them their money back because you chose a really horrible thread to post this.

And were does one find a 400 mile mountain road?

(moderator note: thread split off into its own thread, since as you correctly point out, the original thread it was posted in was not appropriate)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how much do you get paid to post this? You should give them their money back because you chose a really horrible thread to post this.

And were does one find a 400 mile mountain road?
Cave Creek, AZ to Pinetop, AZ, where we have a mountain home at 7400 feet. Drive starts at 2000 feet, drops to 1000 first 15 miles, then up to 7400. 200 miles in each direction.

Was blown away by this magnificent car. Fit, finish, features, handling it is in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT LEAGUE altogether!

Cave Creek, AZ to Pinetop, AZ, where we have a mountain home at 7400 feet. Drive starts at 2000 feet, drops to 1000 first 15 miles, then up to 7400. 200 miles in each direction.

Was blown away by this magnificent car. Fit, finish, features, handling it is in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT LEAGUE altogether!

Yes including the price. $100k vs $50k. I would certainly hope it’s a much better car.

Reactions: JDMerica
Yes including the price. $100k vs $50k. I would certainly hope it’s a much better car.

He was comparing the 2021 Porsche to a Model S. (Why is he doing that in the Model 3 forums? who knows!)

A 2014 Model S too far as I can tell.

He's got 5 posts ever. Only 3 since 2018, and all 3 are in the last few days about how the Porsche is better.

It's pretty weird overall.

Reactions: jjrandorin

So what you have is a 200 mile drive with a 5,400 foot altitude increase. Then a 200 mile drive with a 5,400 foot altitude decrease.

Was blown away by this magnificent car.
I agree: the Tesla really is amazing isn't it?

It's pretty weird overall.
I think this tells the whole story:

The whole story.PNG

He's been a member since 2014.

In that time he posted once in 2014.

Once in 2018.

Then no activity at all until this past week where he posted 3 times about how much better Porsches car is than the Model S... (and originally did so in the Model 3 section of the forums)

Not only in a model 3 section of the forums, but in a specific thread about apple carplay on model 3s. It doesnt look as "weird" now, after I took the time to split it off and move the posts to the correct section, but it definitely was strange to see someone who had been here that long, had almost no post history, post about how great a porsche taycan was over a model S.... in a model 3 forum..... in a thread about apple carplay.....doubling down on "400 mile mountain drive", on a vehicle that has a 199-200 mile rated range.

Test drove a Porsche Taycan 4s on a 400 mile twisty mountain route with 6000 feet of vertical climb. OMG. Ordered one immediately. My MS is so junky in comparison. It’s like driving a slapped together 1990s video game. And the aporsche has Apple Car play and Apple Music!

(moderator note: posts in this thread split off from a discussion in the model 3 section about apple carplay. They were off topic for that thread, so posts were split off into their own thread, and thread moved into the electric vehicles subforum.)
Enjoy your purchase. Saw one yesterday at the fast chargers next to the Harris Ranch supercharger and it looked amazing.

But as a 2015 S owner and I (2017 owner) commiserated on Saturday at another supercharger, as horrible as the experience with older Teslas has become, we don't see a practical alternative due to Tesla's lead with the supercharger network.

on a vehicle that has a 199-200 mile rated range.
this is a very poorly informed opinion of the range of a taycan.

the EPA range GUESS for the taycan is way too low, I can get 260+ miles while driving with no care about range and there are many who claim to get over 300 miles per full charge. taycan 4s 20 inch wheels

My last tesla, a 2018, LR performance model which was rated at 310 miles per charge would never charge past 290 mile and in the real world of driving would deliver less than 250 miles when being driving with no regard to range.

the difference is tesla over rates their ranges and does not deliver the rated range when driving faster than 60 mph or so and the taycan was way underrated but it delivers or exceeds any range estimates on the car's computer.

the EPA range GUESS for the taycan is way too low, I can get 260+ miles while driving with no care about range and there are many who claim to get over 300 miles per full charge. taycan 4s 20 inch wheels

My last tesla, a 2018, LR performance model which was rated at 310 miles per charge would never charge past 290 mile and in the real world of driving would deliver less than 250 miles when being driving with no regard to range.

the difference is tesla over rates their ranges and does not deliver the rated range when driving faster than 60 mph or so and the taycan was way underrated but it delivers or exceeds any range estimates on the car's computer.
Yep. Mine is a 2017 S. I've been on the screball Tesla Website forum since 2013.. it's now shur down so I re discovwrd this one.

When I drive the Tesla after driving the Taycan, it feels like a cheaply built bus with video games. The Taycan 4S is exhilarating to experience, seats hug your kidneys and the car’s g-forces are sick! It is truly unfair to compare any Tesla models to the Taycan , a car in its own league! Sorry, no comparison- period - and doesn't need to be a Tesla killer, since there is no comparison.And when compared to the Tesla, everything you touch on the inside is rich in materiality, contrast and the details lead to a very luxurious - sporty experience. The Taycan feels like a true Porsche with so much design, engineering and manufacturing perfection. The difference and overall build quality is extraordinary.

Reactions: XLR82XS

My statement isnt an opinion, its a fact that is what the rated range is. I made no statement at all about how far you could actually go, with the exception that the current OP in this thread stated they went 400 miles.

the car’s g-forces are sick! It is truly unfair to compare any Tesla models to the Taycan

This in particular is a weird claim, since even the performance Model 3 produces more powerful G-forces on acceleration than the Taycan 4S... even the base model S (current one anyway) does as well.

The Performance (or now plaid) Model S produces massively more and is far quicker both to 60 and the end of the 1/4 mile.

I agree it's unfair, given how much slower the Porsche is for a lot more money.

But I'm sure the "feel" of the dash is really nice for all that extra cash.

It’s a great car. I’m really happy one of the top legacy car makers ever now has an electric flagship. Yes, the OP is suspect, but reviewers absolutely love, and even prefer, the RWD model which starts at 80k. I prefer it to the S, even if the 0-60 sprint is “only” 5 seconds. It pulls hard past 100 miles anyway, so that’s plenty of acceleration for me.

Awesome. Be sure to post some pictures with all the relevant details showing these results. I'm still a bit curious about the real-world range of the Porsche. I assume you mean you made it 200 miles without stopping to charge, not 400 miles. How many hours was the drive? Average speed & full speed profile vs. time? Average efficiency? How much range did you start with and how much did you end with? How many kWh did you consume? Very curious about all these details, for sure.

It does seem really great, there are a lot of reports of more than rated range from the Porsche, which I find interesting.

I can get 260+ miles while driving with no care about range and there are many who claim to get over 300 miles per full charge. taycan 4s 20 inch wheels

Reports like this. I am very curious about more detailed information of such achievements. It's not surprising to me at all that the Porsche makes the rated range while the Tesla doesn't, but the results far in excess of the rated range are intriguing, and I'm curious about where the differences come from, and what is the actual Wh/mi achieved on such journeys (so we can directly compare efficiencies).

I think it's great that the Porsche is producing good real-world results.

Why am I surprised by the exceeding of the EPA results? Because I'd generally expect any EV to do a bit worse than the EPA results, and it's not obvious to me where Porsche is sand-bagging...did they go pessimistic on their dyno coefficients during the tests? Or what... It certainly is possible to pick some really high drag coefficients and end up with a much lower range result on EPA testing. Maybe this is what they did? Or maybe it is it the two-speed transmission giving better high-speed efficiency?

I think the best place to start, though, is to look at real-world realized Wh/mi (including all the details on the specific trip segment) on the Porsche. Very curious how it compares for a specific drive at a specific speed (that way it can be plugged into ABRP to get a decent estimate of how a Tesla would do on the same journey...I suppose this could be done in ABRP directly without any real-world data, comparing a Porsche and a Tesla, of course...but I guess I am looking for ground-truthed Porsche data here as point one of the comparison).

For road trips, in the end it's the Wh/mi that matters, and the rate and availability of charging.

Last edited: