Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan Vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Taycan 2 weeks ago. Took advantage of the single motor variant and my spec is lower than the cost of a new Model S. No question Porsche over Tesla and now at ~$100K it made the decision way easier.
You won’t regret it........
91CC6E19-BBA6-4C21-9005-888BDED295FF.jpeg

I still don't understand why we are comparing a $100,000+ Taycan to the Model 3
Most of the discussion is on range. The price difference isn’t primarily due to range.

But your confusion is natural- this notion that Tesla’s cheap offering can compete with taycan because they have similar actual range is reliant on promoting range anxiety that would make ICE CEOs blush. A Dodge Scatpsck has as much range as a Porsche and can accelerate in similar fashion to a few, but few would think they’re comparable.

The taycan is a great car. The model 3 is a great EV

Awesome. Be sure to post some pictures with all the relevant details showing these results. I'm still a bit curious about the real-world range of the Porsche. I assume you mean you made it 200 miles without stopping to charge, not 400 miles. How many hours was the drive? Average speed & full speed profile vs. time? Average efficiency? How much range did you start with and how much did you end with? How many kWh did you consume? Very curious about all these details, for sure.

It does seem really great, there are a lot of reports of more than rated range from the Porsche, which I find interesting.

Reports like this. I am very curious about more detailed information of such achievements. It's not surprising to me at all that the Porsche makes the rated range while the Tesla doesn't, but the results far in excess of the rated range are intriguing, and I'm curious about where the differences come from, and what is the actual Wh/mi achieved on such journeys (so we can directly compare efficiencies).

I think it's great that the Porsche is producing good real-world results.

Why am I surprised by the exceeding of the EPA results? Because I'd generally expect any EV to do a bit worse than the EPA results, and it's not obvious to me where Porsche is sand-bagging...did they go pessimistic on their dyno coefficients during the tests? Or what... It certainly is possible to pick some really high drag coefficients and end up with a much lower range result on EPA testing. Maybe this is what they did? Or maybe it is it the two-speed transmission giving better high-speed efficiency?

I think the best place to start, though, is to look at real-world realized Wh/mi (including all the details on the specific trip segment) on the Porsche. Very curious how it compares for a specific drive at a specific speed (that way it can be plugged into ABRP to get a decent estimate of how a Tesla would do on the same journey...I suppose this could be done in ABRP directly without any real-world data, comparing a Porsche and a Tesla, of course...but I guess I am looking for ground-truthed Porsche data here as point one of the comparison).

For road trips, in the end it's the Wh/mi that matters, and the rate and availability of charging.
Yes, of course it was 200 miles in each direction, and I charged at my destination, our second home 200 miles away. We make this trip dozens of times each year. When I bought my S85 in 2013 I was pretty dissapointed to find that I couldn’t go over 60 on the trip up and make it. There was no SC en route, and even if there had been, as there is now 100 miles from here in Payson, Arizona, I probably wouldn’t have saved that much time stopping to charge. We bought an S 100 D in 2018, a 2017 with 5000 miles, and now I could go up to 75 mph for half the trip and make it easily. It takes about 3 1/2 hours of driving time each way. I have no idea about wars per mile or any of that nonsense. I just watch my remaining Range and manage trips that way. I don’t do many truly long-distance trips-since 2013 we’ve only done four, and one was two fetch my 100D from Santa Rosa California and drive it back, because I really don’t like all the time you waste charging and route planning. For fun I test drove the Taycan - Hey typical 20 minute affair at the local dealer and absolutely loved it. The quality difference between the Tesla it’s pretty staggering. Anyway, I told the salesman, based on the stated range of this car, it wouldn’t work for me because it would never make it to our vacation home. He assured me we it would. “Really? So if I buy this car and get stranded on my first trip, you’ll come get it and give me a full refund?” Well, no he said. I asked about taking the demo up there and back. What they did instead was let me take a used 2020 they had on their lot and test it with that. And as I have said earlier, it was absolutely amazing. It started out with only 10 miles of gap – the difference between my distance and the miles in the tank. That gap grew steadily as I drove and by the time I arrived It was equal to or better to what I experienced in my S 100. And I drove 5-8 mph over the entire way. In the car handles and drives like an absolute dream. The interior? Comparing it to a Tesla is like comparing a Tesla to a yugo. I ordered one and I take delivery in July. The Model S is sold and the new owner picks it up this week.

and for the fan boys who find my posting suspect, did I read a few weeks ago-the last time I was here-that I apparently posted on a model three section? Sorry about that I still don’t see anywhere on this page anywhere where it says it is model three. Anyway, my bad. But based on my experience- albeit very limited with the Porsche - The model S simply is not in the same class. Sorry. That’s my opinion, and that’s why they have horse races. Time will tell if I’m wrong.

Yes, of course it was 200 miles in each direction, and I charged at my destination, our second home 200 miles away. We make this trip dozens of times each year. When I bought my S85 in 2013 I was pretty dissapointed to find that I couldn’t go over 60 on the trip up and make it. There was no SC en route, and even if there had been, as there is now 100 miles from here in Payson, Arizona, I probably wouldn’t have saved that much time stopping to charge. We bought an S 100 D in 2018, a 2017 with 5000 miles, and now I could go up to 75 mph for half the trip and make it easily. It takes about 3 1/2 hours of driving time each way. I have no idea about wars per mile or any of that nonsense. I just watch my remaining Range and manage trips that way. I don’t do many truly long-distance trips-since 2013 we’ve only done four, and one was two fetch my 100D from Santa Rosa California and drive it back, because I really don’t like all the time you waste charging and route planning. For fun I test drove the Taycan - Hey typical 20 minute affair at the local dealer and absolutely loved it. The quality difference between the Tesla it’s pretty staggering. Anyway, I told the salesman, based on the stated range of this car, it wouldn’t work for me because it would never make it to our vacation home. He assured me we it would. “Really? So if I buy this car and get stranded on my first trip, you’ll come get it and give me a full refund?” Well, no he said. I asked about taking the demo up there and back. What they did instead was let me take a used 2020 they had on their lot and test it with that. And as I have said earlier, it was absolutely amazing. It started out with only 10 miles of gap – the difference between my distance and the miles in the tank. That gap grew steadily as I drove and by the time I arrived It was equal to or better to what I experienced in my S 100. And I drove 5-8 mph over the entire way. In the car handles and drives like an absolute dream. The interior? Comparing it to a Tesla is like comparing a Tesla to a yugo. I ordered one and I take delivery in July. The Model S is sold and the new owner picks it up this week.

and for the fan boys who find my posting suspect, did I read a few weeks ago-the last time I was here-that I apparently posted on a model three section? Sorry about that I still don’t see anywhere on this page anywhere where it says it is model three. Anyway, my bad. But based on my experience- albeit very limited with the Porsche - The model S simply is not in the same class. Sorry. That’s my opinion, and that’s why they have horse races. Time will tell if I’m wrong.
Enjoy your Taycan.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Glad you loved the Porsche - that is excellent news. And I'm very happy it's proving to be such a competent road trip machine. It's awesome to have a good competitor for the Model S.

Glad you loved the Porsche - that is excellent news. And I'm very happy it's proving to be such a competent road trip machine. It's awesome to have a good competitor for the Model S.
it isn't a competition. the model S is a good grand touring sedan and the porsche is a high performance machine. each car will appeal to different people, choices and competition is good for all consumers.

each car will appeal to different people, choices and competition is good for all consumers.

it isn't a competition.
🤔

Anyway, there is unquestionably overlap in the people looking at purchasing these vehicles. So it’s great that Model S has a strong competitor now. Obviously they are not the same car or equivalent car, at all. That’s not what competitor means.

I tested the Taycan today for about 30 minutes, and left unimpressed. I have an X and a LR Model 3. Power felt equal to or even less than my Model 3, and handling might have felt marginally better. The interior was a bit nicer than a Tesla, but I’m one of those that never minded the minimalist interiors. Build quality was far better than a Tesla, and the exterior design is leaps and bounds better. But the worst part was the fisheye backup camera which is completely unusable. I couldn’t even back into a mall parking spot because of this and the fact that there is virtually zero visibility through the rear window.

I really want to try something different than Tesla but I was expecting more. Anyone here disagree?

Which model Taycan? What options?

Reactions: AlamoX
I tested the Taycan today for about 30 minutes, and left unimpressed. I have an X and a LR Model 3. Power felt equal to or even less than my Model 3, and handling might have felt marginally better. The interior was a bit nicer than a Tesla, but I’m one of those that never minded the minimalist interiors. Build quality was far better than a Tesla, and the exterior design is leaps and bounds better. But the worst part was the fisheye backup camera which is completely unusable. I couldn’t even back into a mall parking spot because of this and the fact that there is virtually zero visibility through the rear window.

I really want to try something different than Tesla but I was expecting more. Anyone here disagree?

I don't disagree on the camera.

I completely disagree on the "bit nicer" interior than the Tesla.

Handling is VASTLY improved over the Model 3 - even base models with spring suspension. Car you drive probably didn't have the surround view option.