Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Folding Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got delivery of my Tesla S on June 2013, car was in production in May. Got the tech package for $3750 but did not get the folding side mirror only have the auto-tilt mirror. Unfortunately, I didn't emailed myself the web contents of the tech package at that time and cannot remember if the folding mirrors was there. I see now that the folding mirrors are included in the tech package for the same $3750. Does anyone have a list of what was suppose to be included in the tech package back in May 2013? I would like to retrofit but don't want to pay upwards of $3000 which is what it'll cost. Contacted DS for the list but nothing so far.

Got delivery of my Tesla S on June 2013, car was in production in May. Got the tech package for $3750 but did not get the folding side mirror only have the auto-tilt mirror. Unfortunately, I didn't emailed myself the web contents of the tech package at that time and cannot remember if the folding mirrors was there. I see now that the folding mirrors are included in the tech package for the same $3750. Does anyone have a list of what was suppose to be included in the tech package back in May 2013? I would like to retrofit but don't want to pay upwards of $3000 which is what it'll cost. Contacted DS for the list but nothing so far.
I do not think the power folding mirrors were available in June 2013.

They were not included when I placed my order on September 23,2013 (when the tech package cost $3500). I was able to add them on October 18th 2013, shortly after they became available. My tech package changed from $3500 to $3750 at the point.

My car was manufactured and and delivered in the same time frame. Power folding mirrors only became available after the price increase last August. Depending on whether the wiring harness is present or not, I believe the power folding mirror retrofit is available from the SC.

The power-folding mirrors were added in late Oct 2013. There was a small corresponding price increase to the tech package ($200, I believe). Not sure how you would get out of paying the $3000 retrofit cost if that's what Tesla says it will be. They definitely weren't part of the tech pack in May 2013.

I do not think the power folding mirrors were available in June 2013.

They were not included when I placed my order on September 23,2013 (when the tech package cost $3500). I was able to add them on October 18th 2013, shortly after they became available. My tech package changed from $3500 to $3750 at the point.

This doesn't make sense since I paid $3750 for the tech package when I placed the order in Apr. 2013, went to production in May 2013 and received delivery June 2013. If the folding mirrors weren't included then it should only be $3500 like yours.

This doesn't make sense since I paid $3750 for the tech package when I placed the order in Apr. 2013, went to production in May 2013 and received delivery June 2013. If the folding mirrors weren't included then it should only be $3500 like yours.

My car was a July 2013 car, also without the folding mirrors and a $3750 Tech package. You're trying to connect two things that are unrelated. At some point, prior to the folding mirrors being available, the price of the Tech package just went up $250. TM was changing packages and prices frequently. At some point after our cars were built, they added in the folding mirrors and kept the price the same.

My car was a July 2013 car, also without the folding mirrors and a $3750 Tech package. You're trying to connect two things that are unrelated. At some point, prior to the folding mirrors being available, the price of the Tech package just went up $250. TM was changing packages and prices frequently. At some point after our cars were built, they added in the folding mirrors and kept the price the same.

You're right. TM have been changing prices, packages and options. I noticed that the current Tech package doesn't have the back-up camera listed. Does this mean one won't have the back-up camera feature unless they get the parking sensors option for $500?

The tech package must have also dropped to $3500 when the prices changed in August 2013. On 9/23, when I placed my order, the tech package was $3500. In October when I requested the folding mirror be added to my order, my bill of sale was adjusted to the new price of $3750.

The tech package must have also dropped to $3500 when the prices changed in August 2013. On 9/23, when I placed my order, the tech package was $3500. In October when I requested the folding mirror be added to my order, my bill of sale was adjusted to the new price of $3750.

I had exactly the same experience, placed order on 09/21/2013 (if memory serves) and requested folding mirrors be added as soon as they were announced and additional cost was $250.

I noticed something today that I thought to be weird. I parked my car in a very tight spot and when driving into the spot I folded the mirrors in using the button. When I came back to the car to leave, the mirrors automatically folded out. Now this didn't cause a problem this time but what if the spot has been so tight that the mirrors had to be folded in in order for me to fit? Are the mirrors supposed to work like this?

There is an option setting to turn auto fold on and off. I have mine turned off as my current garage is a tight squeeze and after folding them prior to entry, I don't want the mirrors to deploy until I've cleared the pod bay doors.

A nice option would be to auto-deploy once a certain low driving speed is reached, say 25 MPH or so. Or perhaps a geofencing option, but implementing that would take some thought to avoid spurious & potentially disastrous deployments.

I noticed something today that I thought to be weird. I parked my car in a very tight spot and when driving into the spot I folded the mirrors in using the button. When I came back to the car to leave, the mirrors automatically folded out. Now this didn't cause a problem this time but what if the spot has been so tight that the mirrors had to be folded in in order for me to fit? Are the mirrors supposed to work like this?

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday, only I had closed all the doors to get the mail. Mine unfolded when I came back to get something from the car--I wasn't even leaving!

I'd be happy with the mirrors unfolding when the car is turned on (foot on brake) or in gear (not Park).

My garage isn't a super tight fit but it's easier to move past the car when they're folded. It's kinda annoying to have to stand around for passengers to get to their door before getting in the car, because if I open my door it'll unfold the mirrors.

My BMW does just that, unfold once I reach a minimal speed. I've become accustomed to it, and can foresee myself driving around with folded mirrors when I get the Tesla (as I will need to set that option to stay folded while in the garage).

There is an option setting to turn auto fold on and off. I have mine turned off as my current garage is a tight squeeze and after folding them prior to entry, I don't want the mirrors to deploy until I've cleared the pod bay doors.

A nice option would be to auto-deploy once a certain low driving speed is reached, say 25 MPH or so. Or perhaps a geofencing option, but implementing that would take some thought to avoid spurious & potentially disastrous deployments.

I'd want the opposite, at speed fold the mirrors in. More aerodynamic, less drag.

Oh hell, we all know we want cameras anyway, so NO outside mirrors is preferred, and do away with all this archaic folding business...

Someone later in this thread posted that they'd be happy if the mirrors unfolded when they put the car in gear or stepped on the brake or something. But that wouldn't solve the "tight space" problem, and turning off the auto-fold feature is also a pretty poor solution.

It seems a good solution would be something along the lines of the following:

--If the mirrors were not folded when the car was turned off, unfold them when the car is put in gear
--If the mirrors were folded when the car was turned off either a) never unfold them automatically, or b) unfold them when the car reaches some speed--say 20-25 mph. Possibly make that speed driver-definable.

Naturally the above applies to the automatic mode. There would still be a manual mode.

This doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do.