Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Frunk DIY Installation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to Tesla service tomorrow for other reasons. The manager there will look at this device and tell me what it might potentially void as far as warranty.

After looking at the installation, 12 V battery might get voided, as well as front latch mechanism. Nothing else really seems to be violated.

Any other manufacturer would NOT void any part of factory warranty with this install, and I will argue that point and get it in writing if Tesla states the warranty will not be affected.

My vehicle is so low mileage that I was told that I should be careful with the Tesla warranty by the dealership. Only 27K after 2.5+ years.

I hate closing the front trunk because of the risks of denting it, and I will bring that up with Tesla, because their poor design makes me not want to use the front trunk as designed.

Best,

T

How did it go? I have the tesla offer kit ready for installation but I also have ordered the homelink kit that I will need to have installed by the SC. Should I wait until that is done before installing the frunk kit?

How did it go? I have the tesla offer kit ready for installation but I also have ordered the homelink kit that I will need to have installed by the SC. Should I wait until that is done before installing the frunk kit?

My repairs are Winter temperatures related and I postponed my appointment until warmer temps hit and I can sit outside the service center and not inside due to COVID-19 fears.

On the phone Tesla Service would not commit to an answer regarding this front trunk device.

I installed the Hansshow model and it took about an hour. One thing to note that is not covered in the video: the new electric arms don’t use the same mounting points as the gas shocks. I followed the video and got everything setup, then went to close the trunk and the arms were too long to allow it to close. That’s when I noticed two mounting brackets in the box and had to remove the electric arms, add the brackets, and reinstall the arms. Other than that, the directions are great and it makes the frunk so much more useful.

• Love
Reactions: xspace
I’m curious, so does the manual release still work?

Part of the reason the fronts are manual are because it allows a mechanical and quick release access to do a safe high voltage disconnect.

I don’t expect to get into that situation but it’s a pretty big part of safety to my family, first responders and those around us. If it can be overridden and still provides quick access then this is a great find.

So sorry for the late response! I’m only seeing this now. Yes, the manual release is independent of this.

So its been a month since your install - how has it been? Any quirks or bugs since then?

Sorry, for some reason my alerts to TMC stopped. It has worked PERFECTLY since I installed Dec 19, 2019. The most useful accessory I’ve ever had for a vehicle! Such a game changer! It worked in snow/ice as well, not one failure or misfire! :)

I'm going to Tesla service tomorrow for other reasons. The manager there will look at this device and tell me what it might potentially void as far as warranty.

After looking at the installation, 12 V battery might get voided, as well as front latch mechanism. Nothing else really seems to be violated.

Any other manufacturer would NOT void any part of factory warranty with this install, and I will argue that point and get it in writing if Tesla states the warranty will not be affected.

My vehicle is so low mileage that I was told that I should be careful with the Tesla warranty by the dealership. Only 27K after 2.5+ years.

I hate closing the front trunk because of the risks of denting it, and I will bring that up with Tesla, because their poor design makes me not want to use the front trunk as designed.

Best,

T

Why do you need to be careful with the warranty with low mileage?

I installed the Hansshow model and it took about an hour. One thing to note that is not covered in the video: the new electric arms don’t use the same mounting points as the gas shocks. I followed the video and got everything setup, then went to close the trunk and the arms were too long to allow it to close. That’s when I noticed two mounting brackets in the box and had to remove the electric arms, add the brackets, and reinstall the arms. Other than that, the directions are great and it makes the frunk so much more useful.

Thanks for commenting on my video! Yes, after installing this module I see the frunk completely differently. Such a perfect addition to my X! At Supercharging stations, I get the occasional ‘WAIT, WHAT?’ look from other X owners.