Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m allowed to disagree with that which I don’t agree with right or wrong. :)

You're certainly "allowed" to disagree with a post that's nothing but facts. It's just a very weird thing to do.

Don’t get me wrong: I love the hard product (which makes the sale) but the soft product is what keeps people coming back and Tesla of today has that totally wrong. They can do better.

They announced that lifetime data was ending for cars bought after June 30 2018- and did so in advance of that date.

Everyone buying after that had multiple opportunities, including directly from Tesla in several ways and in writing on their purchase paperwork to be aware that data would not be free forever on their car.

As it is all the late 2018 and early 2019 buyers got longer free trials than originally promised in that paperwork.

I'm not sure what they could have done "better" in this case.

Does anyone else notice that ElectricIAC disagrees with posts that are factually correct? I don't think any members clicks "disagree" so much. And they only time they click "Agree" is when someone says "Gee, Tesla should give us everything for free!"

Very odd behavior. Except, according to their profile, it looks like they're a BMW salesperson or something.

Different people have a different view of the interface with this site. For me personally, I only click "disagree" if I strongly disagree with something, and then I put an explanation on what I disagree with. If something is fact, but I dont like it, I also dont click "disagree".

Thats just me, though. Others click "disagree" on things that they dont like, regardless of whether its the truth or not. Still others almost "weaponize" it and follow other posters around and click "disagree" on every post they make, because they dont like said poster.

Since there are no real rules around that here, we just have to deal with people using the interface different than we would use it. This website does make it VERY easy to ghost someone though.

You're certainly "allowed" to disagree with a post that's nothing but facts. It's just a very weird thing to do.

They announced that lifetime data was ending for cars bought after June 30 2018- and did so in advance of that date.

Everyone buying after that had multiple opportunities, including directly from Tesla in several ways and in writing on their purchase paperwork to be aware that data would not be free forever on their car.

As it is all the late 2018 and early 2019 buyers got longer free trials than originally promised in that paperwork.

Oh. I was just addressing the “If it’s free, he agrees” thing.

Absolutely. If it was clear cut that free connectivity ended after a certain date then that is what it is: just like free supercharging.

What I don’t agree with is the white knight pile-on party attempting to shame the OP for having just recently discovered this or saying “it’s only $10/mo, what are you broke?”

Yup. I took delivery on August 7, 2019 and the paperwork made it very clear that the Premium Connectivity would expire in one year, and that it would need to be paid for on a subscription basis after that.

Now I just need to figure out how I'm gonna mount this pizza box and UFO-on-a-stick in the car... ;)

That definitely speeds things up, thanks!

Edit: I think that our free connectivity is still miles ahead of the competition, and $10 is peanuts compared to OnStar and the other services out there.

We are long past the days, unfortunately, where we could get lifetime satellite radio thru Sirius XM...I had considered it about 2 cars ago then slept on it too long only for it to disappear forever. $10 a month isn't too bad but that's also in addition to paying for Spotify itself as well which also costs $10 per month. Still, I don't mind the cost :) The gas savings alone far outweighs the cost!

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just subscribed last week, even after telling myself it's not worth $10/month when I could simply create a WiFi hotspot for free to stream music. I'm still debating whether or not it's worth it. I could care less about satellite nav.

I literally only subscribed because it became really annoying to have to keep re-enabling the hotspot every time I leave the house, AND every time I put the car back in drive thereafter.

I know it's purposely a feature to facilitate the handoff to LTE when pulling out of the garage since many ppl are connected to WiFi at home...but it still annoys me...if not for that "feature" I would have never subscribed! I have more than enough hotspot data - T mobile family plan with 20GB/month.

Our SUV has Android auto, which connects instantaneously, and right there on the screen are options for Pandora, Google music, etc... all FREE. :mad:

The phone is pretty much always connected anyway, so I feel like ON SCREEN apps (via bluetooth) like that were intentionally omitted to get people to subscribe to their $10/month nonsense. I mean seriously, Android auto has the music app feature even on pretty cheap cars...a $50k M3 should have it as well.

My Model 3 is almost a year old. I'm debating whether I should pay for the premium connectivity. We don't really care about the streaming music or browser. We need reliable navigation - whether we can see the traffic on the screen or not is immaterial, but the Nav capability should use traffic data to navigate optimally. Otherwise it's impossible to drive around here.

So, If I lose the premium connectivity, do we just lose the "traffic display" or do we also lose "traffic data required for navigation" ?

Thanks,V.

Different people have a different view of the interface with this site. For me personally, I only click "disagree" if I strongly disagree with something, and then I put an explanation on what I disagree with. If something is fact, but I dont like it, I also dont click "disagree".

Thats just me, though. Others click "disagree" on things that they dont like, regardless of whether its the truth or not. Still others almost "weaponize" it and follow other posters around and click "disagree" on every post they make, because they dont like said poster.

Since there are no real rules around that here, we just have to deal with people using the interface different than we would use it. This website does make it VERY easy to ghost someone though.

I disagreed because a certain well known poster did a bunch of math and told someone they had a xx.xx% chance of getting their car delivered on a specific date several months away (listed the exact day, month, year of projected delivery). I felt that no matter what math you did a prediction that far into the future isn't accurate and posting a percentage to 2 decimal places was irresponsible way to present such a prediction. As a result that poster did disagree with years of my past posts to the point I got over 120 disagrees in 24 hours all from that one user.

Then a month or two later Elon made an announcement, some sort of change in the lineup, gave new production estimates, the incorrect prediction was tossed out the window and that well known poster just created a new prediction for a different date still to that same level of precision.

Last edited:
I disagreed because a certain well known poster did a bunch of math and told someone they had a xx.xx% chance of getting their car delivered on a specific date several months away (listed the exact day, month, year of projected delivery). I felt that no matter what math you did a prediction that far into the future isn't accurate and posting a percentage to 2 decimal places was irresponsible way to present such a prediction. As a result that poster did disagree with years of my past posts to the point I got over 120 disagrees in 24 hours all from that one user.

Then a month or two later Elon made an announcement, some sort of change in the lineup, gave new production estimates, the incorrect prediction was tossed out the window and that well known poster just created a new prediction for a different date still to that same level of precision.

I think I know who you are talking about, but even if I am wrong, whoever did that is pretty immature. Like I said though, its pretty easy to ghost someone here. A couple of clicks and you no longer really see anything they do. I try not to do that much because I am not looking for an echo chamber, but when people behave a certain way, it makes it easier for me to do.

Imagine being married to them! Uggh!

I was under the impression that premium connectivity (which I pay for) was supposed to include over-the-air updates via cellular. But lately my Model 3 has been requiring me to connect to WiFi for software updates. Was I mistaken about what was included or did Tesla downgrade the subscription?

I was under the impression that premium connectivity (which I pay for) was supposed to include over-the-air updates via cellular. But lately my Model 3 has been requiring me to connect to WiFi for software updates. Was I mistaken about what was included or did Tesla downgrade the subscription?

AFAIK OTA updates never came over LTE except for urgent/safety stuff- routine ones have always been wifi.

It was never stated anywhere that OTA updates were a part of premium connectivity.

Other than ill-informed individuals spreading mis-information.

Not sure if you are throwing shade at me with your last comment, so I'll assume you're not. That said, I should clarify: software updates didn't REQUIRE me to be connected to wifi in the past. Now they do. Is that something new?

Software Updates

Tesla said:
Our cars regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi.

That content hasn't changed since at least early 2019

To be fair, the old FAQ page did seem imply that you would receive more OTA software updates over cellular with premium connectivity. Web archive has a link as of October 2018, but I recall visiting that page around April 2019: Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

"Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular."

• Informative
Reactions: kpedraja