Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Package and Order Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am quite disappointed though. I stood in line, and I've been sitting on my invite since March waiting for white interior to be available, and this essentially means It'll cost me another thousand or more dollars, for the privilege of having to wait for them to start making the version I want.
How do you figure that? Internet connectivity was going to require payment after 4 years (according to the current owners manual), now for future orders it will require payment after one year.

How do you figure that? Internet connectivity was going to require payment after 4 years (according to the current owners manual), now for future orders it will require payment after one year.
The article claims these owners will get it for life, not 4 years.

It doesn’t play CDs either. This is 2018. If you don’t like the streaming, or Tune-in, put your music on a USB key.
Some might disagree, but you know what'd be great, an analog auxiliary port so I could plug in whatever the heck I want.

The article claims these owners will get it for life, not 4 years.
Yes, it says we will now, but that wasn’t true when we bought the car. Two days ago, anyone planning to order in the future would have expected to start paying for internet after 4 years. Today they know they’ll have to start paying after one year. The fact that the policy for previous buyers has changed and we won’t have to pay start paying after four years after all is irrelevant.

Yes, it says we will now, but that wasn’t true when we bought the car. Two days ago, anyone planning to order in the future would have expected to start paying for internet after 4 years.
I know right? Model 3 owners manual said four years too. I reserved over two years ago and not two days ago. ;)

I'm not sure I see a section (in the manual) claiming traffic conditions will disappear.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
What's great about Apple car play, and Android Auto is that it uses your phones data plan and services. So if your on an unlimited plan using and using maps or streaming music in your car via the touchscreen, the dlcharges incurred are negligible or nonexistent.

Using mobile hotspot to hook service to your car is not the same. Data plans drastically limit the amount of "tethered" data you are allowed to use monthly. This means you can blow through your gig of tetheredtdata rather quickly if you use this feature often. (if your plan even allows it)

The work around will be simply mounting your phone to the dash and not using the Tesla apps just like every other car. Connected to the stereo via Bluetooth.

Of course I want to see traffic on my maps, and my phone can do this already without affecting my tethered data limits or costing me extra monthly fees. Why would i want to pay more for functionality I already have on another device?

This simply means we will need to avoid Tesla infotainment and maps, and go back to using mounted phones.

I hope we start seeing some clean mounting solutions soon, and ideas for routing power cables to dash mounted phones.

Reactions: Imafrog
Yes, it says we will now, but that wasn’t true when we bought the car. Two days ago, anyone planning to order in the future would have expected to start paying for internet after 4 years. Today they know they’ll have to start paying after one year. The fact that the policy for previous buyers has changed and we won’t have to pay start paying after four years after all is irrelevant.

Per the owner's manual, "Tesla also provides you with a complimentary Streaming Personal Radio account for four years." There was never any reference to a time limit for data connectivity. I am assuming the announcement does not change the four years for the complimentary Slacker account.

Per the owner's manual, "Tesla also provides you with a complimentary Streaming Personal Radio account for four years." There was never any reference to a time limit for data connectivity. I am assuming the announcement does not change the four years for the complimentary Slacker account.
From what we’ve read, it will change the four years complimentary Slacker. For those who already have the car, it will be free forever. For those who order after July 1, it will be free for one year. Presumably the owners manual for cars ordered after July 1 will be changed to reflect that.

Reactions: FlatSix911
You should contact Tesla. If you're in the US, as a current owner you should have already gotten an invite. You are checking the web site and not just waiting for an email, right?
I do sign in my account and check on it, once I found out they don't always send emails. I am in US (east coast though). Have contacted Tesla few weeks ago and they stated they would "look into it". No word since.

This is what Audi is charging for their 2018+ Q7s, A4s, Allroads, A5s and Q5s:

$199 for 6 months? With another $20/month if you want hotspot??

Yea, maybe the complaining here can be toned down a bit with some perspective.

auidiconnect.PNG