Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

A quick question!

I am due to pick up mu car April 16th.

My build- LR AWD, Sport wheels, white/white, AP. With the price adjustment this same car now costs $3700 less.

I am trying to get some one from Tesla on the phone for the last two hours, but no success. What are my options? Do you guys think they will do a price adjustment? If not, is the only option to refuse delivery and start all over again?

Thanks

Raj

Reactions: dmurphy
Hi guys,

A quick question!

I am due to pick up mu car April 16th.

My build- LR AWD, Sport wheels, white/white, AP. With the price adjustment this same car now costs $3700 less.

I am trying to get some one from Tesla on the phone for the last two hours, but no success. What are my options? Do you guys think they will do a price adjustment? If not, is the only option to refuse delivery and start all over again?

Thanks

Raj

Yes. They're going to do a price adjustment on any upcoming deliveries. No worries!

I just - literally, 30 seconds ago - hung up with my delivery advisor and he's sending me a revised MVPA with the new price reflected. I'm scheduled to pickup on the 19th.

Fantastic news indeed.

He mentioned that they got no heads up this was going to happen so they're scrambling a bit this morning to line things up for all their upcoming deliveries ... so stay tuned but YES - price adjustments are happening!

Reactions: Rajraj22
He mentioned that they got no heads up this was going to happen
The showroom salespeople and the people answering the phones never get a heads up about any changes. It has always been that way with Tesla. Note how these announcements never leak.

@Rajraj22 I believe that you will get a price adjustment. Persist.

The showroom salespeople and the people answering the phones never get a heads up about any changes. It has always been that way with Tesla. Note how these announcements never leak.

@Rajraj22 I believe that you will get a price adjustment. Persist.

Of course - I wouldn't expect them to give the salesfolks a heads up... they're always the last to know. It's like that in any company - otherwise the ship is awfully leaky.

The price adjustment is happening. The fact that I was able to just call my delivery center, ask for (and get transferred to) my advisor and let HIM bring it up to me, tells me it's absolutely happening.

I didn't have to ask for it - I had two other items to address with him on the phone (a referral code and changing from delivery to pickup) - and HE brought it up to me. I let him tell me about it just to make sure the information jives... it does, 100%. Great news. Great customer service - I really could not possibly be happier with my delivery advisor....

Reactions: Rajraj22
My parents just took delivery of a LR RWD car Wednesday and 80 miles ago. The AWD variant is the same price now. He feels as though he has been lied because he asked if there were any price changes planned as recent as Tuesday and the response he got was "they will only go up". He has started the return process and is planning on going shopping for a BMW later today. Sort of sad. Tesla may have a chance if they called him up and offered 3-4k to keep the car. My parents are about to have a very sour, very short term experience with Tesla. They ordered the car Sunday, took delivery Wednesday and dealing with this today.

Last edited:
My parents just took delivery of a LR RWD car Wednesday and 80 miles ago. The AWD variant is the same price now. He feels as though he has been lied because he asked if there were any price changes planned as recent as Tuesday and the response he got was "they will only go up". He has started the return process and is planning on going shopping for a BMW later today. Sort of sad.

Has he asked for an adjustment, or just a return? Within the 7 day return period, I'd think an adjustment would be very possible.

Keep in mind - the folks in the stores have zero - no - zilch - nada - control or knowledge over pricing or upcoming changes. So it's not that he was lied to, but it's simply that unless he was speaking to the CEO or President, the employee almost certainly had no idea.

What happens if BMW does a Drive Sales Event after he buys that? Will he be just as upset?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Has he asked for an adjustment, or just a return? Within the 7 day return period, I'd think an adjustment would be very possible.

Keep in mind - the folks in the stores have zero - no - zilch - nada - control or knowledge over pricing or upcoming changes. So it's not that he was lied to, but it's simply that unless he was speaking to the CEO or President, the employee almost certainly had no idea.

What happens if BMW does a Drive Sales Event after he buys that? Will he be just as upset?

He come accustomed to negotiating with a dealer and getting a good price he has been doing it his whole life. The last car they got had a $51k sticker and he drive it off the lot for $31k after taxes, fees, etc. It made him feel really good. When he talks to someone at Tesla, to him, he is talking to Tesla. What that person says represents the company. Telling him that person doesn't know anything is just a lie to him. He isn't asking for an adjustment, but if they offer him a 3-4k dollar adjustment there is a chance he may take it just to save the pain the whole process would cause. And the car would have the same relative value it did when he bought it. But they would have to offer it.

I am Mexico, waiting for a AWD 2018 Model 3 with AP and FSD that is going to be delivered to me early next week. I got a price adjustment for being a 2018 model, and ordered before the 3% price increase.
With the new price adjustments I am still getting a better price but now I don't feel like having a good deal for a dec 2018 model. And I already paid in full the vehicle.
Should I get/ask for a price adjustment?
If you have already paid for the vehicle how does the price adjustments work?

Yes. They're going to do a price adjustment on any upcoming deliveries. No worries!

I just - literally, 30 seconds ago - hung up with my delivery advisor and he's sending me a revised MVPA with the new price reflected. I'm scheduled to pickup on the 19th.

Fantastic news indeed.

He mentioned that they got no heads up this was going to happen so they're scrambling a bit this morning to line things up for all their upcoming deliveries ... so stay tuned but YES - price adjustments are happening!

Thank you this is helpful and good to know that they are doing adjustments.

I am trying to talk to my sales or delivery advisor, but cannot get either of them on the phone. I will keep trying.

My parents just took delivery of a LR RWD car Wednesday and 80 miles ago. The AWD variant is the same price now. He feels as though he has been lied because he asked if there were any price changes planned as recent as Tuesday and the response he got was "they will only go up". He has started the return process and is planning on going shopping for a BMW later today. Sort of sad. Tesla may have a chance if they called him up and offered 3-4k to keep the car. My parents are about to have a very sour, very short term experience with Tesla. They ordered the car Sunday, took delivery Wednesday and dealing with this today.

If your parents are within the 7 day window of returning their car, I would be really surprised if Tesla doesn't do the price adjustment for them (unless your parents are looking to get into the AWD version). It should be way easier and economical for Tesla to do the price adjustment, rather than taking the car back. I would definitely talk to sales or delivery advisor and see how they can get the credit

Reactions: APotatoGod

If your parents are within the 7 day window of returning their car, I would be really surprised if Tesla doesn't do the price adjustment for them (unless your parents are looking to get into the AWD version). It should be way easier and economical for Tesla to do the price adjustment, rather than taking the car back. I would definitely talk to sales or delivery advisor and see how they can get the credit
It sounds like their sales adviser has contacted them and they are working on a solution. Its interesting because the car they bought is no longer available. I think the RWD is better for my mom (its her car) but the Dual Motor holds its value over the RWD so it makes since to take the more expensive car for the same price. My Dual motor makes motor noise in the front that the RWD doesn't make and the added efficiency will be enjoyed more by her than the AWD functionality and reduced 0-60 time. I really hope they can work something out. will update here.

It sounds like their sales adviser has contacted them and they are working on a solution. Its interesting because the car they bought is no longer available. I think the RWD is better for my mom (its her car) but the Dual Motor holds its value over the RWD so it makes since to take the more expensive car for the same price. My Dual motor makes motor noise in the front that the RWD doesn't make and the added efficiency will be enjoyed more by her than the AWD functionality and reduced 0-60 time. I really hope they can work something out. will update here.

Yes, I test drove both the RWD and AWD. The RWD drive handled really well and it indeed is a great car. I thought the 3K price difference between RWD and AWD wasn't too steep, so I went with the AWD.

The car that I really wanted was performance, but didn't "need" it. :)

All the early buyers of the Model 3 got hosed at the time, but being so recent doesn't give the wound much time to heal. Get the new price or return the car. Simple as that. I didn't preorder a Model Y because I won't get hosed again.

• Funny
Reactions: Leafdriver333

Yes, I test drove both the RWD and AWD. The RWD drive handled really well and it indeed is a great car. I thought the 3K price difference between RWD and AWD wasn't too steep, so I went with the AWD.

The car that I really wanted was performance, but didn't "need" it. :)

I wish I would have gone with the P3D-. When I bought my AWD the P3D- was quite a bit more and I didn't value free supercharging at 5k since I charge for .11/kw at home and drive no more than 220 miles per day. They gave those people a $5k credit in trade for their free supercharging a few months later, I missed out. I could get a P3D now for about the same price I bought my AWD for but I would have had to go another 8 months with my old car (100 mile range and EVgo charging. yuck). Glad I did what I did.

The traditional dealer model where MSRP changes rarely, but incentives and other discounts are available leaves everyone thinking their negotiated price was amazing. Tesla's model has every prior buyer feeling like a fool.

There is a certain logic to cutting out the middle man, but I tell you, a dealer would be pushing back when cars arrived with poor build quality and scratches so we wouldn't have to develop a checklist and do a detailed inspection.

My SR+ arrived with 6 scratches I found in quick inspection. They buffed out some, but not all. The would not promise to fix or give me a Due Bill so I walked. No self respecting salesperson at a car dealer would pass off a damaged car like that. At Tesla, those delivery folks work for the factory that has the poor quality control.

The reality is too that some people are better at negotiating then others. Some people don't care. Some people are dumb enough to buy the extended warranties, waaaaay overpriced paint protection, etc. We're all different.

Tesla's model puts everyone pretty much at the same level, which I absolutely HATE. It's the same reason I've never purchased a car from Carmax. I know I can do better. Others love Carmax because they believe they're paying a "fair" price. To me fair is overpriced.

Having had a dealer's license in the past I'm not willing to pay full retail for any car. I'm having a really hard pulling the trigger knowing I'm not getting a "deal".

Reactions: Reeler
I am Mexico, waiting for a AWD 2018 Model 3 with AP and FSD that is going to be delivered to me early next week. I got a price adjustment for being a 2018 model, and ordered before the 3% price increase.
With the new price adjustments I am still getting a better price but now I don't feel like having a good deal for a dec 2018 model. And I already paid in full the vehicle.
Should I get/ask for a price adjustment?
If you have already paid for the vehicle how does the price adjustments work?

I was just able to talk to my delivery advisor and he mentioned that they are waiting for more information from headquarters on how to handle the price adjustment. I have also paid in full for my delivery this coming Tuesday and he mentioned the possibility of getting credited from Tesla after delivery. The easiest thing for them to do will be to send an amended MVPA before delivery and they can credit me back the difference at a later date. Regardless, my sales and delivery advisor confirmed that since I haven't taken delivery, Tesla will be giving the difference back.

I have few more days to go before delivery, so I will see how it goes..

Since you got a price adjustment on a 2018 model, I am not sure how they are going to handle this. I would definitely talk to your sales advisor