Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Increase Threat from Salesperson // Help // Advice Needed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am very new to all this, but I am seriously thinking about ordering a 60D with an MSRP of about $89,000. I've been giving a quote by one of the Tesla salespeople in Freemont via email (we have chatted back and forth quite a bit). My quote is around $1,211 with a down payment of about $7,500 (3yr lease / 15,000 miles).

I will be taking delivery on 3/15/17 (when my current Audi lease ends) and ordering the car before the end of this year in order to continue to get free Supercharging (per the new rules, must order pre- Dec 31st 2016, accept delivery pre April 2017).

All of that is fine with me so far.

My salesperson is being very pushy about me ordering as soon as possible. He is ADAMANT that there is an impending PRICE INCREASE. He has said there is a price increase coming at the end of November of quote, "a couple thousand dollars".

Now, I really don't have an issue ordering the car early, as I was going to order it late in December, but I do have an issue with a salesman trying to coax me into purchasing the car ahead of my schedule. I still have a lot of work to do on discovery of 240 v 14-50 outlet installation costs as well as insurance costs, and don't want to feel rushed.

Does anyone know about an impending price increase?
Any help is appreciated!

-Z

Hi All,

I am very new to all this, but I am seriously thinking about ordering a 60D with an MSRP of about $89,000. I've been giving a quote by one of the Tesla salespeople in Freemont via email (we have chatted back and forth quite a bit). My quote is around $1,211 with a down payment of about $7,500 (3yr lease / 15,000 miles).

I will be taking delivery on 3/15/17 (when my current Audi lease ends) and ordering the car before the end of this year in order to continue to get free Supercharging (per the new rules, must order pre- Dec 31st 2016, accept delivery pre April 2017).

My salesperson is being very pushy about me ordering as soon as possible. He is ADAMANT that there is an impending PRICE INCREASE. He has said there is a price increase coming at the end of November of quote, "a couple thousand dollars".

Now, I really don't have an issue ordering the car early, as I was going to order it late in December, but I do have an issue with a salesman trying to coax me into purchasing the car ahead of my schedule. I still have a lot of work to do on discovery of 240 v 14-50 outlet installation costs as well as insurance costs, and don't want to feel rushed.

Any help is appreciated!

-Z
You can still specify when you want delivery. I would order. I think he is just being proactive as he's probably been burned before by people who waited and complained about an increase.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I've seen the rumour mentioned in a couple places recently, including this thread
Model S set to have a 3% price increase in November

There were serveral price increases betwen now and since before I bought my Model S about a year ago (though some of those were due to currency exchange adjustments here for Canadian market). Prior to buying, my sales advisor warned me of an upcoming increase and it did in fact happen when he said it would. I didn't buy at the time because I wasn't 100% ready, but a few months later I eventually did place the order, and regret not locking in the lower price.

Once you confirm the order, you lock in the price even if you arrange delivery months in the future. IIRC if you cancel after confirming, you don't get back your deposit but you can apply it to a future Tesla purchase. So if you're pretty certain you'll buy, it may make sense to order sooner than later.

p.s. don't forget to use a referral code if you do decide to order. PM me if you don't already have one :)

Hi All,

Any help is appreciated!

-Z
get over it and order and just specify delivery for some time in the future after you have completed "a lot of work to do on discovery of 240 v 14-50 outlet installation costs" etc. And thank your salesperson for being proactive

• Helpful
I spent a good bit of time with the showroom folks the past few days. They did confirm an increase to the base price in the next two weeks. They didn't know about any other pricing or feature changes. Told me they were usually the last to know, it's the only way to keep a secret.

Even the AP 2.0 totally surprised.

Placed my order payment last night.

Thank you everyone!
I believe you have 5 days to do some discovery and still get your deposit back.

I brought up ElonsVelvetJacket rumor with my OA last weekend, and he confirmed that yes, the price increase is a real thing.

"So it's not just a rumor?", and his reply was "Not a rumor any more, we were just informed". It's also not just 'your' dealer. It's a brand wide increase on the MS.

Since I'm going to have VW buy back my TDI soon (but at some unknown future date), it's good that I can reserve the car now, and pay the final due on delivery, which I can push out probably to February if need be according to him.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Can we assume with the increase in price that there won't be a decrease in the cost due to new SuperCharger usage changes?
Tesla is a business. Their goal is to make money. They're not a charity.

If they reduce cost (i.e. limit superchargers) they don't have to pass it down to the customer (i.e. reduce cost of the car).

Should be interesting to see if the sales person was right,

I could easily see it being confused with the discontinuation of free supercharging. Where it's seen as a $2K price increase even though the actual price doesn't change.

I could also seen them adding something to the standard configuration.

• Helpful
Should be interesting to see if the sales person was right,

I could easily see it being confused with the discontinuation of free supercharging. Where it's seen as a $2K price increase even though the actual price doesn't change.

I could also seen them adding something to the standard configuration.

All the gallery attendant / product advisor told me is that the base model is going up $2k. It isn't across the board. It is in the next few weeks. I don't think related.

Only reason I am asking because other posts mentioned this. Their reasoning is that they were charging an extra $2K for supercharging on the S40 earlier.
It would make sense to drop the price if supercharging wasn't included anymore, but it's still included! They've just reduced the included access from unlimited to 400 kWh/year. This is a change that for probably 80-90% of Tesla buyers won't be noticed. They'll pay $0/year.

• Helpful
Am I missing something obvious here??? Shouldn't the price be coming DOWN as Tesla continues to take advantage WRT economies of scale???... :)

Jeff
A. Economics. Supply and demand. If I can sell 10 cars @ $100 or 5 cars @ $250, it make sense do the latter.
II. Price is probably going down, but profitability is going up
3. Tesla keeps adding more stuff to the base model, all of that isn't free.

Reactions: bhzmark and MP3Mike