Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I don’t have a M3 yet. I’m considering purchasing a EAP and upgrading to FSD but want to make sure I can afford that

What will matter is what is in the app for the person whose car you are looking to buy. I am not sure there is a set answer to this, as it may depend on when they bought EAP (for example).

So you need the person whose car you are considering buying to send you a screenshot of the upgrade in their app.

mrau

Authorized Driver
Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Mid-Michigan
It appears Tesla may be having a "sale" on FSD upgrade from EAP for 5k. I am unable to confirm this, but maybe someone who has EAP could check their phone app under Upgrades to verify.

Here is a screen shot of what I came across.

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 8.54.51 AM.jpg

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
It appears Tesla may be having a "sale" on FSD upgrade from EAP for 5k. I am unable to confirm this, but maybe someone who has EAP could check their phone app under Upgrades to verify.

Here is a screen shot of what I came across.

View attachment 614733

From Enhanced autopilot (not regular autopilot) to FSD for 5k is a sale price? I guess I have really lost track of how much that costs. Anyone who purchased EAP paid either 5k (back in the day) or 4k during a recent sale price for it, right? Adding FSD for another 5k means total spend of 9k to 10k, so a savings of 0 to 1k. I am likely missing something. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

I already have FSD so this is all just curiosity on my part at this being called a "sale".

From Enhanced autopilot (not regular autopilot) to FSD for 5k is a sale price? I guess I have really lost track of how much that costs. Anyone who purchased EAP paid either 5k (back in the day) or 4k during a recent sale price for it, right? Adding FSD for another 5k means total spend of 9k to 10k, so a savings of 0 to 1k. I am likely missing something. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

I already have FSD so this is all just curiosity on my part at this being called a "sale".

It was $7K

• Informative
Reactions: mrau and jjrandorin

You have it right. I paid 5k in 2018 for EAP. FSD saw a price increase by as much as 7k with the recent increase. I just checked the app, and it's back down to 5k.

Personally, FSD doesn't add enough to command that type of premium on a depreciating vehicle, especially as I'm driving less due to covid. Cool that they're offering a "discount", and I certainly see why they'd pitch to people who already have one foot in, but IMO it's a bit of a double-dip.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Thanks for the information, all. I got my model 3 in december of 2018, with EAP (so 5k paid for EAP then). People following tesla since then know that at that time EAP and FSD had the exact same feature set. I didnt have the money to buy FSD at the time.

Frankly, I was stretching a bit to buy the car, because I had planned to pay cash for a mid range model but made the mistake of test driving a Performance model and basically said "shut up and take my money" and took out a loan for the difference between my "cash purchase" of the mid range model, and what the Performance cost at the time which was, with EAP, > 71k before tax. I am not complaining in the slightest because I ended up with 11k ish in various tax credits, state rebates, etc, so its not "that" different than now.

Anyway, I picked up FSD during the 2k fire sale around april of 2019, basically just to ensure I was getting the newest computer. So my all in cost was 7k for FSD. Tesla kept saying "its going to get more expensive", but thats not why I bought it. I liked the feature set of EAP as it was, and I wanted the new computer, and the new computer was worth 2k to me, even if the feature set never changed.

Im starting to feel like I made out pretty good. Since I bought it for the feature set at the time, not "what it might do later" everything they have added since i bought my car in 2018 is gravy from my point of view.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
Thanks for the information, all. I got my model 3 in december of 2018, with EAP (so 5k paid for EAP then). People following tesla since then know that at that time EAP and FSD had the exact same feature set. I didnt have the money to buy FSD at the time.

Frankly, I was stretching a bit to buy the car, because I had planned to pay cash for a mid range model but made the mistake of test driving a Performance model and basically said "shut up and take my money" and took out a loan for the difference between my "cash purchase" of the mid range model, and what the Performance cost at the time which was, with EAP, > 71k before tax. I am not complaining in the slightest because I ended up with 11k ish in various tax credits, state rebates, etc, so its not "that" different than now.

Anyway, I picked up FSD during the 2k fire sale around april of 2019, basically just to ensure I was getting the newest computer. So my all in cost was 7k for FSD. Tesla kept saying "its going to get more expensive", but thats not why I bought it. I liked the feature set of EAP as it was, and I wanted the new computer, and the new computer was worth 2k to me, even if the feature set never changed.

Im starting to feel like I made out pretty good. Since I bought it for the feature set at the time, not "what it might do later" everything they have added since i bought my car in 2018 is gravy from my point of view.

When, in the history of the entire automobile industry, have we ever had a car that continues to add features after purchase?

Yeah, I want that.

Driving a loaner S this week without Autopilot. OMG. I’m ruined forever. Will feel exactly the same about FSD in a few short years. In my current car. The one that didn’t have anything of the sort when I bought it.

We live in amazing times.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC