Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have a M3 yet. I’m considering purchasing a EAP and upgrading to FSD but want to make sure I can afford that

What will matter is what is in the app for the person whose car you are looking to buy. I am not sure there is a set answer to this, as it may depend on when they bought EAP (for example).

So you need the person whose car you are considering buying to send you a screenshot of the upgrade in their app.

Just to clarify a bit, this only applies if you are buying a used Tesla from an owner who upgraded to EAP. Or if it was an option when they ordered it. As of this writing, you can only order a car with standard AP ($0), or FSD ($10K).

It appears Tesla may be having a "sale" on FSD upgrade from EAP for 5k. I am unable to confirm this, but maybe someone who has EAP could check their phone app under Upgrades to verify.

Here is a screen shot of what I came across.

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 8.54.51 AM.jpg

It appears Tesla may be having a "sale" on FSD upgrade from EAP for 5k. I am unable to confirm this, but maybe someone who has EAP could check their phone app under Upgrades to verify.

Here is a screen shot of what I came across.

View attachment 614733

From Enhanced autopilot (not regular autopilot) to FSD for 5k is a sale price? I guess I have really lost track of how much that costs. Anyone who purchased EAP paid either 5k (back in the day) or 4k during a recent sale price for it, right? Adding FSD for another 5k means total spend of 9k to 10k, so a savings of 0 to 1k. I am likely missing something. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

I already have FSD so this is all just curiosity on my part at this being called a "sale".

From Enhanced autopilot (not regular autopilot) to FSD for 5k is a sale price? I guess I have really lost track of how much that costs. Anyone who purchased EAP paid either 5k (back in the day) or 4k during a recent sale price for it, right? Adding FSD for another 5k means total spend of 9k to 10k, so a savings of 0 to 1k. I am likely missing something. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

I already have FSD so this is all just curiosity on my part at this being called a "sale".

It was $7K

• Informative
Reactions: mrau and jjrandorin

You have it right. I paid 5k in 2018 for EAP. FSD saw a price increase by as much as 7k with the recent increase. I just checked the app, and it's back down to 5k.

Personally, FSD doesn't add enough to command that type of premium on a depreciating vehicle, especially as I'm driving less due to covid. Cool that they're offering a "discount", and I certainly see why they'd pitch to people who already have one foot in, but IMO it's a bit of a double-dip.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for the information, all. I got my model 3 in december of 2018, with EAP (so 5k paid for EAP then). People following tesla since then know that at that time EAP and FSD had the exact same feature set. I didnt have the money to buy FSD at the time.

Frankly, I was stretching a bit to buy the car, because I had planned to pay cash for a mid range model but made the mistake of test driving a Performance model and basically said "shut up and take my money" and took out a loan for the difference between my "cash purchase" of the mid range model, and what the Performance cost at the time which was, with EAP, > 71k before tax. I am not complaining in the slightest because I ended up with 11k ish in various tax credits, state rebates, etc, so its not "that" different than now.

Anyway, I picked up FSD during the 2k fire sale around april of 2019, basically just to ensure I was getting the newest computer. So my all in cost was 7k for FSD. Tesla kept saying "its going to get more expensive", but thats not why I bought it. I liked the feature set of EAP as it was, and I wanted the new computer, and the new computer was worth 2k to me, even if the feature set never changed.

Im starting to feel like I made out pretty good. Since I bought it for the feature set at the time, not "what it might do later" everything they have added since i bought my car in 2018 is gravy from my point of view.

Thanks for the information, all. I got my model 3 in december of 2018, with EAP (so 5k paid for EAP then). People following tesla since then know that at that time EAP and FSD had the exact same feature set. I didnt have the money to buy FSD at the time.

Frankly, I was stretching a bit to buy the car, because I had planned to pay cash for a mid range model but made the mistake of test driving a Performance model and basically said "shut up and take my money" and took out a loan for the difference between my "cash purchase" of the mid range model, and what the Performance cost at the time which was, with EAP, > 71k before tax. I am not complaining in the slightest because I ended up with 11k ish in various tax credits, state rebates, etc, so its not "that" different than now.

Anyway, I picked up FSD during the 2k fire sale around april of 2019, basically just to ensure I was getting the newest computer. So my all in cost was 7k for FSD. Tesla kept saying "its going to get more expensive", but thats not why I bought it. I liked the feature set of EAP as it was, and I wanted the new computer, and the new computer was worth 2k to me, even if the feature set never changed.

Im starting to feel like I made out pretty good. Since I bought it for the feature set at the time, not "what it might do later" everything they have added since i bought my car in 2018 is gravy from my point of view.

When, in the history of the entire automobile industry, have we ever had a car that continues to add features after purchase?

Yeah, I want that.

Driving a loaner S this week without Autopilot. OMG. I’m ruined forever. Will feel exactly the same about FSD in a few short years. In my current car. The one that didn’t have anything of the sort when I bought it.

We live in amazing times.