Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactive recall for Model 3/Y front suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not mine but it did come up with a recall related to the below.

I would’ve liked to think a recall involving seatbelts (or other standard safety feature) could have had an email to affected owners (we’ve got a 6 week old so I could have been driving the pregnant wife around with a dodgy seatbelt).

Attachments

• 179D2DD3-11F8-423E-A8FD-D17B6CC7B7B2.png
    179D2DD3-11F8-423E-A8FD-D17B6CC7B7B2.png
    461.8 KB · Views: 353
At near full lock under power my front suspension creaks like a boat on the open ocean - always has - but no recall here either…

The OP is describing a specific additional and separate issue to the well known squeaking ball joints. The control arm ball joint issue (squeaking suspension) has not been an active recall (as far as I know) yet they have been replaced or regreased at Service Centres under warranty for quite a while now. If I were you I would be asking for the to be car checked whether it shows up on a recall list or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: nufan
The OP is describing a specific additional and separate issue to the well known squeaking ball joints. The control arm ball joint issue (squeaking suspension) has not been an active recall (as far as I know) yet they have been replaced or regreased at Service Centres under warranty for quite a while now. If I were you I would be asking for the to be car checked whether it shows up on a recall list or not.
The front upper control arm squeaking issue probably won't become a recall as it's not safety related as this one is.
In general, though I'd say that if a car starts to make unusual noises, especially knocking noises, it needs to be looked at fairly quickly.
On the Model 3 there have been quite few cases of fasteners coming loose or even falling out from the suspension, brakes, aero covers, driveshafts etc. Luckily, as there's no engine to drown out the noises, these problems can often be detected early!

• Helpful
2020 Model Y April build. Had the upper control arms replaced in September 2021.
The squeaking came out of nowhere. One afternoon coming home from work, I heard small squeak backing in the drive way. Then in less than a week it was noisy anytime you would go over a bump or move the wheel.

1635511044440.png

• Helpful
2020 Model Y April build. Had the upper control arms replaced in September 2021.
The squeaking came out of nowhere. One afternoon coming home from work, I heard small squeak backing in the drive way. Then in less than a week it was noisy anytime you would go over a bump or move the wheel.

View attachment 727061
The subject of this thread isn't the upper control arms, it's the very recent recall regarding the front lower lateral links.

The Electrek article says "Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed December 24, 2021". Why wouldn't Tesla just push a notification to the app? Is there some regulation that states owners must be notified by snail mail? Can't be too urgent if they aren't going to notify people for 2 months.

The Electrek article says "Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed December 24, 2021". Why wouldn't Tesla just push a notification to the app? Is there some regulation that states owners must be notified by snail mail? Can't be too urgent if they aren't going to notify people for 2 months.
The original Model Y thread linked in my first post above refers to an email being received. That said, I've no idea why they would wait till December, maybe a follow up to those who haven't contacted already?