Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually glad that the Sigs are not paying a Sig premium this time around (more like a Sig discount). I think that's only fair for Tesla holding their $40K for 3.5 years that the Signatures are getting fully loaded 6-seaters or 7-seaters for less than a comparable production configuration. But the "no more than $5K premium over a comparable model S" is simply untrue for the base model 90D with 7 seats.

I would not consider a $500.00 difference on a $144,000 order significant. It is more like a rounding error when you stack up all the options individually on a production order. The time value of the 40k deposit should maybe get a little thank you also.

I have two sigs ordered. One with six seats one with seven. I wonder if I will get a $1000 credit on the six seat now that production prices are out. Right now both orders show the same total $144,950 price.

Ah yes. I cannot wait until they send out the rest of the emails. I realize there are 20k people in front of me but I'll have no problem ordering a p90d just to skip ahead a bit. lol
I'm not completely surprised they are doing that, but it does suck somewhat...If "mid" means April, I can live with that, barely. But if, in typical Tesla fashion, "mid" means August or later, then for someone who has had a deposit down since June of 2012, thinking I'd be near the head of the line after the Sigs, it would be pretty disappointing. Sorry, I have no need for Performance.

Not excited about the 90D in MID 2016. Since a P90D is only marginally faster than my Sig P85, I didn't want to go P90D X.

Now another 6-9 month arbitrary wait. Maybe a 2014 AP CPO S will be a better buy after all but perhaps I should just enjoy the two I have. Or maybe wait for an inventory X.

Why does Tesla try so hard to disappoint buyers? Model S Sig tax for a $5k gym bag continues to annoy to no end and now this. Higher production prices with huge random waiting. Really thinking about cancelling now. No way I will configure this week now.

Last edited:
Still no news to Europe Signature reservation holders?! Anyone know how far behind the que signature reservation holders outside US are?

- - - Updated - - -

Still no news to Europe Signature reservation holders?! Anyone know how far behind the que signature reservation holders outside US are?
I even got this on my tesla today "Your Model X Signature was reserved on 31/12/1969. You’ll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation."
Quess that even puts me before Bonnie :)

Hmmm, since this config is only open to low US reservation holders and it states X90D from mid 2016, would it be safe to assume that anyone who wants a Model X before second half of 2016 is forced to buy P90D?

Or is this for new reservation holders, even though the config is only available for reservation holders?

Hmmm, since this config is only open to low US reservation holders and it states X90D from mid 2016, would it be safe to assume that anyone who wants a Model X before second half of 2016 is forced to buy P90D?

Or is this for new reservation holders, even though the config is only available for reservation holders?

My educated guess is a qualified yes. The qualification is if less people order P90D, then 90D will become available sooner. Also, if the X ramp goes faster than they expect, and/or weekly X & S production is higher, or there are less orders for the S, then 90D will become available sooner.

What we see here is classic TSLA. It makes total business common sense for them to sell the highest-margin configurations, first. Obviously, the mark-up for $10K "Ludicrous Mode" to reduce 0-60 from 3.8s to 3.2s must be a very large percentage! I'm second-guessing whether I should get it or not, the P90D is just 18.75% slower than a P90DL. At the end of the day, a 3.2s launch is just to get a hit of adrenaline or show it off to one's friends... I'm probably better off buying $10K worth of Solarcity since the price is down. (Elon made a huge insider buy last week.)

They need $$$$ cashflow from the X (and S) to pay for Model 3 development and the GigaFactory. Unfortunately, this financial strategy is very frustrating for consumers.

I really feel bad for people that reserved years ago - 3.5 in my case - and now have to wait an additional 6 months because they want a 90D, or ~9 months for a 70D. Either wait or acquire a different vehicle. Tesla has always been production-constrained, unfortunately. That's what happens when they build the best vehicles in the world bar none (IMHO). I didn't study the history, but I imagine Henry Ford's Model T was production constrained for awhile, too?

Russ,

Congratulations.

Does your "paperwork" inform you as to what capacity your on-board is? The only reference to charging that I saw was Supercharger enabled. What about AC charging?

Thanks.

Larry

Hi Larry,

I re-examined the X prod. configurator, speed-read the MVPA (Motor Vehice Purchase Agreement), and Terms and Conditions -- which is a duplicate of standard legalese that appears after the configuration documented in the MVPA. Nothing about the A/C charging. My guess is they haven't decided yet?? I sure hope it will be 72 amp charger for faster destination charging. I'll contact them on Weds. to see what they say. It would be nice to know what we're buying!!

Best,
Russ

PS. To complete my previous screen captures, here's what their "Thank you for your order" email looks like:
TYemail1.JPG

TYemail2.JPG

TYemail3.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
"During 1 week period, you may cancel your order ... without incurring any costs"

I configured what I think we'd get. I pressed order. It lets me know I am submitting a committed order, but have a week to change the specifics of the config. then it locks. I didn't go that far yet, since we're not quite ready. Need to really think about the color/interior options. All the tech options, we're ready.

For those Production folks that did go ahead and fully submit, I realize it will commit you to buying/leasing the car, but do you have to actually submit a payment of some sort? We're not getting Performance, just a regular 90D, so it may not be ready for us til April (or beyond), but do we have to have our financing/leasing app/cash ready now?

No, if you configure and fully submit, per the terms of the MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement), you ARE NOT committed to buying/leasing the vehicle until 7 days have passed. At that time, you're committed. If you breach the MVPA, you lose your $5,000 deposit which was applied from your production reservation deposit.

I noticed the attorney(s) who drafted the MVPA call the $5,000 the "Deposit paid" on page 1 with the configuration. Everywhere else, it's called the "Order Payment", and never defined as being equivalent to the "Deposit paid".

"
Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement
Vehicle Configuration
Customer

name
address
###-###-####
[email protected]

Order Number RN######

Deposit paid $5,000.00

Date order placed with electronically accepted terms 11/23/2015

Price indicated does not include taxes and governmental fees, which will be calculated as your
delivery date nears. You will be responsible for these additional taxes and fees.

Description Price (USD)

Model X P90D
Not including the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit $115,500

All-Wheel Drive Included

Solid White Paint Included

20" Silver Wheels Included

Ultra White Seats $2,500

Carbon Fiber Décor $1,000

Black Headliner Included

Seven Seat Interior $4,000

Ludicrous Speed Upgrade $10,000

Active Spoiler Included
Tesla Red Brake Calipers Included
Supercharger Enabled Included
Autopilot Convenience Features $2,500
Premium Upgrades Package $4,500
Smart Air Suspension Included
Ultra High Fidelity Sound $2,500
Subzero Weather Package $1,000
Towing Package $750

Subtotal $144,250

Destination & Doc Fee $1,200

Total $145,450

Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (v. 20151020 en_US)
Tesla Motors, Inc. ©2015
Page 1 of 4

Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement
Terms & Conditions

Documentation. Your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (the “Agreement”) is made up of the
following documents:

1. Vehicle Configuration: The Vehicle Configuration describes the vehicle that you configured and
ordered, including pricing (excluding taxes and official or government fees). If you are
purchasing a vehicle from our inventory, the Vehicle Configuration may be in the form of a Monroney
window sticker or a buyer’s guide.

2. Final Price Sheet: The Final Price Sheet will be provided to you as your delivery date nears.
It will include final pricing based on your final Vehicle
Configuration and will include taxes and official or governmental fees.

3. Terms & Conditions: These Terms & Conditions are effective as of the date you place your order
and make your Order Payment (the “Order Date”).

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your
Vehicle Configuration from Tesla Motors, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to
the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on
features and options available at the time of order. Options or features released after you
place your order may not be included in your Vehicle.

Purchase Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The purchase price of the Vehicle is indicated in your
Vehicle Configuration, the Monroney window sticker or buyer’s guide attached to this Agreement, as
applicable. This purchase price does not include taxes and official or government fees, which
could amount to up to 10% or more of the Vehicle purchase price. Because these taxes and fees are
constantly changing and will depend on other factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they
will be calculated closer to the time of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet. You will
be responsible for paying these additional taxes and fees.

Manufacturing Process.

Week 1: We will submit your order to the Tesla Factory for production one week after the Order
Date. During this one week period, you may cancel your order or make any changes to your Vehicle
Configuration without incurring any costs.

Week 2 until Delivery: When we submit your order for production, your Order Payment becomes earned
and non-refundable. Because production of your Vehicle is already underway, changes to your
Vehicle Configuration during this time will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate.
If you want to make changes to your Vehicle Configuration, we will try to accommodate your request.
If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non- refundable $500 change fee and
potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original order date. Any
changes made to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the purchase price, will be
reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Cancellation; Default: Because your Vehicle is custom ordered, we incur significant costs in
starting production of your Vehicle. We also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling
the Vehicle if you cancel or default in this Agreement. As a result, your Order Payment is
non-refundable once your order is sent to the Tesla Factory. You acknowledge that the Order
Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or
may incur, costs that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. We
will credit your Order Payment toward the final purchase price of the Vehicle. You
acknowledge that this Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation
of or pending any conditional sale contract.

Tesla Motors, Inc. ©2015

Page 2 of 4

Inventory Vehicle. This paragraph is applicable if you are purchasing a Vehicle from our
inventory (i.e., the vehicle has already been manufactured, as indicated by an existing VIN, an
attached Monroney window sticker or a buyer’s guide). Because we incur significant costs in
preparing and coordinating the delivery of your Vehicle, including shipping logistics, your
Order Payment is non-refundable. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and
reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur in transporting,
remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, costs that are otherwise impracticable or extremely
difficult to determine. We will credit your Order Payment against the purchase price of your
Vehicle upon completion of the transaction. You acknowledge that this Order Payment and this
Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale
contract.

Delivery. We will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your
local Tesla Service Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and
take delivery of your Vehicle within one week of this date. If you are unable to take delivery
within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. The
estimated delivery date of your Vehicle indicated in this Agreement is an estimate only and is
not a guarantee of when your Vehicle will actually be delivered. If, on your behalf, we are
coordinating the shipping of the Vehicle to you via a third party common carrier, you agree that
delivery of the Vehicle, including the transfer of title and risk of loss, will occur at the time
your Vehicle is loaded onto the common carrier’s transport (i.e.., FOB shipping point). The
carrier will insure your Vehicle while in transit and you will be the beneficiary of any claims for
damage to the vehicle or losses occurring while the vehicle is in the possession of a common
carrier. To secure your final payment and performance under the terms of this Agreement, we will
retain a security interest in the Vehicle and all proceeds therefrom until your obligations have
been fulfilled.

Warranty; Privacy Policy. You will receive the Tesla Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty at or
prior to the time of Vehicle delivery. You may also obtain a written copy of such warranty from us
upon request or download it from your MyTesla account. Tesla’s Customer Privacy Policy is
incorporated into this Agreement and can be viewed at Privacy & Legal | Tesla Motors.

Limitation of Liability. We are not liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages
arising out of this Agreement. In the event we are held liable for any damages to you, your sole
and exclusive remedy will be limited to reimbursement of your Order Payment.

No Resellers; Discontinuation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and
we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of
the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your order and
refund your deposit if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your
order.

Governing Law; Integration; Assignment. The terms of this Agreement are governed by, and to be
interpreted according to, the laws of the State in which we are licensed to sell motor
vehicles that is nearest to your address indicated on your Vehicle Configuration.
Prior agreements, oral statements, negotiations, communications or representations about the
Vehicle sold under this Agreement are superseded by this Agreement. Terms relating to the purchase
not expressly contained herein are not binding. We may assign this Agreement at our discretion to
one of our affiliated entities.

State Specific Provisions. You acknowledge that you have read and understand the provisions
applicable to you in the State Specific Provisions attachment to this
Agreement.

Tesla Motors, Inc. ©2015

Page 3 of 4
State Specific Provisions
For NEW YORK residents: if the Vehicle is not delivered in accordance with the Agreement within 30
days following the estimated delivery date, you have the right to cancel the Agreement and receive
a full refund, unless the delay in delivery is attributable to you.

For MASSACHUSETTS residents: ATTENTION PURCHASER: All vehicles are WARRANTED as a matter of state
law. They must be fit to be driven safely on the roads and must remain in good running condition
for a reasonable period of time. If you have significant problems with the Vehicle or if it
will not pass a Massachusetts inspection, you should notify us immediately. We may be required to
fix the car or refund your money. THIS WARRANTY IS IN ADDITION TO ANY OTHER WARRANTY GIVEN BY
US.

For WASHINGTON, D.C. residents:

NOTICE TO PURCHASER

IF, AFTER A REASONABLE NUMBER OF ATTEMPTS, THE MANUFACTURER, ITS AGENT, OR AUTHORIZED DEALER IS
UNABLE TO REPAIR OR CORRECT ANY NON-CONFORMITY, DEFECT, OR CONDITION WHICH RESULTS IN SIGNIFICANT
IMPAIRMENT OF THE MOTOR VEHICLE, THE MANUFACTURER, AT THE OPTION OF THE CONSUMER, SHALL
REPLACE THE MOTOR VEHICLE WITH A COMPARABLE MOTOR VEHICLE, OR ACCEPT RETURN OF THE
MOTOR VEHICLE FROM THE CONSUMER AND REFUND TO THE CONSUMER THE FULL PURCHASE PRICE, INCLUDING
ALL SALES TAX, LICENSE FEES, REGISTRATION FEES, AND ANY SIMILAR GOVERNMENT CHARGES. IF YOU HAVE
ANY QUESTIONS CONCERNING YOUR RIGHTS, YOU MAY CONTACT THE DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AND REGULATORY
AFFAIRS.

Seller certifies that the information contained in the itemization of the Purchase Price,
including the Vehicle Configuration, and required by Chapter 3 (Buying, Selling and Financing
Motor Vehicles) of Title 16 of the Code of D.C. Municipal Regulations, is true to the best of our
knowledge.
Version: 20151020
Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (v. 20151020 en_US) Tesla Motors, Inc. ©2015
Page 4 of 4"

My educated guess is a qualified yes. The qualification is if less people order P90D, then 90D will become available sooner. Also, if the X ramp goes faster than they expect, and/or weekly X & S production is higher, or there are less orders for the S, then 90D will become available sooner.

What we see here is classic TSLA. It makes total business common sense for them to sell the highest-margin configurations, first. Obviously, the mark-up for $10K "Ludicrous Mode" to reduce 0-60 from 3.8s to 3.2s must be a very large percentage! I'm second-guessing whether I should get it or not, the P90D is just 18.75% slower than a P90DL. At the end of the day, a 3.2s launch is just to get a hit of adrenaline or show it off to one's friends... I'm probably better off buying $10K worth of Solarcity since the price is down. (Elon made a huge insider buy last week.)

They need $$$$ cashflow from the X (and S) to pay for Model 3 development and the GigaFactory. Unfortunately, this financial strategy is very frustrating for consumers.

I really feel bad for people that reserved years ago - 3.5 in my case - and now have to wait an additional 6 months because they want a 90D, or ~9 months for a 70D. Either wait or acquire a different vehicle. Tesla has always been production-constrained, unfortunately. That's what happens when they build the best vehicles in the world bar none (IMHO). I didn't study the history, but I imagine Henry Ford's Model T was production constrained for awhile, too?

Thanks for your reply.
I feel that this is just another delay, and the car keeps getting pushed back. Now it seems as it has been delayed until fall 2016 here in Norway (for the X90D). Who`s to say that there won`t be more delays next year, pushing the car even further into the future. After so many delays I`m starting to lose confidence. Also the unfortunate development for the USD/NOK situation and yet another price increase here in Norway soon could turn my reservation into cancellation.
Very sad as the Model X is a car I need (actually needed it two years ago) and want.

matte obeche wood trim has no cost. Small consolation after being charged $4000 for the seats. No leather option is new, as far as I know, as well. Cheapest configuration I could find was $86750 ($73250 after my incentives) with just cold weather and towing on a 70D. That's $997/mo for 36 months to lease.

Not pleased that it costs $4500 to get access to the filter. The wife loved that. Can't justify it.

Yes, am also quite disappointed about the air filter not being included without paying $4500.

Not excited about the 90D in MID 2016. Since a P90D is only marginally faster than my Sig P85, I didn't want to go P90D X.

Now another 6-9 month arbitrary wait. Maybe a 2014 AP CPO S will be a better buy after all but perhaps I should just enjoy the two I have. Or maybe wait for an inventory X.

Why does Tesla try so hard to disappoint buyers? Model S Sig tax for a $5k gym bag continues to annoy to no end and now this. Higher production prices with huge random waiting. Really thinking about cancelling now. No way I will configure this week now.

I understand the frustration, but I think you have to at least consider Tesla's perspective here. As much as we like to think Tesla is completely in the clear, it has a challenging rampup of one of the most complicated production vehicles in the world, it is indeed burning through cash fast and needs to make as much money as possible as efficiently as possible to survive and keep growing, and it will be more efficient to batch production.

Not saying it doesn't suck, and as someone considering a 70D X, it's a deterrent. But I think the broader perspective/needs explains the story and logical reasoning.

- - - Updated - - -

I even got this on my tesla today "Your Model X Signature was reserved on 31/12/1969. You’ll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation."
Quess that even puts me before Bonnie :)

Say wha???

- - - Updated - - -

I'm quite happy because we all don't live in smoggy cities (hence, don't need it)

That is a good point, but there's scarcely a place where it isn't useful (even in Norway, ~90% -- guessing -- of the vehicles you're driving behind are spewing pollution into your car, and that can very definitely shorten your life or at least make it less pleasant) and I doubt it costs a great deal more to include it as standard.

But it's a way to squeeze some more money out of early adopters, which is what Tesla needs to do to succeed, and I think we all need Tesla to succeed... and as fast as possible. So, I'll take it as a net neutral. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply.
I feel that this is just another delay, and the car keeps getting pushed back. Now it seems as it has been delayed until fall 2016 here in Norway (for the X90D). Who`s to say that there won`t be more delays next year, pushing the car even further into the future. After so many delays I`m starting to lose confidence. Also the unfortunate development for the USD/NOK situation and yet another price increase here in Norway soon could turn my reservation into cancellation.
Very sad as the Model X is a car I need (actually needed it two years ago) and want.

I can see how you can see it as a delay, but for anyone who has closely watched Tesla's development, I think it was fairly clear that all of the options wouldn't be on the table from day 1. If Tesla could ramp up that fast, it probably would, but it takes a lot of time and work (and money) to get production going full speed and satisfy ~30,000 reservations. That's the annual production target for the Chevy Bolt.

Does anyone know if the second row seats can move back/forward independently individually (i.e. mid-seat in back position and two side seats more forward position) in the 5 seats config.? Deciding if it's worth to pay 6 seats vs 5 seats.

Note: chadc4s is asking about the new 5 seat config

I dont think anyone has answered your question properly yet. It seems possible to me that to save money on the 5 seat config, the seats might not move at all. Why put in all the motors to move the seats around if there is no 3rd row? That might also explain why the 3rd row seats cost so much.

No, my point is that an S without Pano is not comparably equipped to a base X. The base X includes a Pano-like feature, thus you must add it to the S you're pricing out just as you would dual motor and rear seats.

Well, the pano roof in my MS opens. I use it all the time. Just having the sky visible overhead doesn't seem nearly as useful as getting cool air in the car.

I'd argue that the MX shouldn't be compared to a MS with pano.

On the rest of this thread, the odd bundling, the late delivery dates, asking production reservations to configure without demo cars.. it's a bit of a mess. But as a positive note, 72A charging as an option! Anyone who plans to destination charge should strongly consider it.