Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We saw the 2nd row seats move individually at the X Event.

My question is WHY doesn't Tesla Motors just put the Model S style bench seats in a FIVE seat bench version so they can FOLD? Since there is NO reason to climb behind the second row, why not have it like Model S?

I realize that the second row seats in Model X are more comfortable than Model S, but I bet a lot of buyers would love to trade some comfort for those old folding seats! For those who want extra cargo with all five seats occupied, then the existing five seat design does make sense.

I like you thinking....:wink:

Tesla needs to deliver 30-40k model x next year to meet their projected deliveries. Based on their own projections they b should deliver a minimum of 15k in the first half of the year. There is absolutely no way the existing reservations will yield 15k P90D orders.

So one of the following will be true:
1. Tesla will deliver the 90D sooner than the middle of the year
2. Someone that orders in jan/Feb will get a car before someone who gave them a deposit 4 years ago
3. Tesla will miss their delivery targets again

Let's all hope it's #1!

My question is WHY doesn't Tesla Motors just put the Model S style bench seats in a FIVE seat bench version so they can FOLD? Since there is NO reason to climb behind the second row, why not have it like Model S?

I realize that the second row seats in Model X are more comfortable than Model S, but I bet a lot of buyers would love to trade some comfort for those old folding seats! For those who want extra cargo with all five seats occupied, then the existing five seat design does make sense.

Falcon wing doors do not allow seat belt attachments. There are zero other current production models with folding seats, that also attach on the seat itself. I can't say for certainty that's the reason but many people on the forums have speculated that's one big reason for not having folding seats, it'd reduce rear passenger safety with a falcon wing door.

I'm thinking it stays the same at 14-50 so you'll only charge at 40 amps, not 48 amps. 48 amps (or 72 amps) would be available at HPWCs.

I think the vast majority of people don't need the "biggest/fastest/most powerful" so they are trying to keep things simple by limiting the choice of chargers (and hiding the 72 amp option).

My commute isn't very long so even with 40 amps, I could do a charge for my daily round-trip commute in 40 minutes. I don't need to cut that down to 20 minutes since the car is parked in the garage for 14+ hours every night.

Agreed. I think they're concerned people who don't need it and can't even use it will select it thinking that it's important/useful, and then be upset when they realize it does nothing for them. People who know they want it can contact them... and then have fun with an Easter egg. :D

However, an alternative could have been explaining the usefulness (or lack thereof) of a 72 amp one on the configurator.

- - - Updated - - -

Safety. Doubt Tesla can put those seats in the X and get what it deems an adequate safety rating.

Last edited:
Has anyone checked with a Tesla store today to see if they have samples of the Model X exclusive interior trims or any update on when display models will arrive? With configuration opening up for the masses, I anticipate there will be much greater demand to see these than when it was just Signatures that could order.

Anyone know if the $1000 referral rebate program is still going? And if so, can it somehow be applied to a model X?I know it's nickel and diming but others have been dissecting the "$5k" price difference between S and X and this seems like another $1k unaccounted for.

The referral program was created to stimulate/maintain sales of the Model S. There's still a $1000 referral discount but it is only available on the Model S.

Agreed. I think they're concerned people who don't need it and can't even use it will select it thinking that it's important/useful, and then be upset when they realize it does nothing for them. People who know they want it can contact them... and then have fun with an Easter egg. :D.
The problem with this line of thinking is most people aren't going to contact Tesla about higher amp charging if they don't know it exists. Then when they do find out such an option exists, after their car is delivered and they plug in at a 80A destination charger and wonder why they weren't offered the option of charging that fast, there will be some very unhappy customers.

The secret password for the new 72A charger option should be TMC-forums in honor of the members who pushed for the option
@Engle - Where did you hear about the 72A charger option for $1,000? I haven't seen or heard that anywhere else.
There was a post upthread somewhere. I'll call the configuration line now to try to add it to my order.
You're not going to believe this!!! (Well, it's Tesla with Spinal Tap to 11 volume so you will...)I just called the production configuration hotline. There is an Easter Egg hidden in the production configurator!!"We are still recommending the 48 amps a/c charger so we hid the High Amperage Charger Upgrade option.Just type "charger" (no quotes) and it automagically appears:"View attachment 101983This just made my day. I'm on a Teslarian high since it will make a big difference when destination charging.-Russ
Type it where?
Just type it anywhere inside your configurator webpage. There are no text input fields on that page, it's all point-and-click. Therefore, the character input processor has been programmed to recognize charger and add the option box for you to select at the bottom.It does seem very strange they would hide an option like this. It doesn't state that it will delay your vehicle, so why would they care if some people add the option that will never use it? (Do destination charging or have an HPWC at home or work.)
They really, really do not want people to configure 72amp... Why, why, why?!?
Agreed. I think they're concerned people who don't need it and can't even use it will select it thinking that it's important/useful, and then be upset when they realize it does nothing for them. People who know they want it can contact them... and then have fun with an Easter egg. :DHowever, an alternative could have been explaining the usefulness (or lack thereof) of a 72 amp one on the configurator.Safety. Doubt Tesla can put those seats in the X and get what it deems an adequate safety rating.
The problem with this line of thinking is most people aren't going to contact Tesla about higher amp charging if they don't know it exists. Then when they do find out such an option exists, after their car is delivered and they plug in at a 80A destination charger and wonder why they weren't offered the option of charging that fast, there will be some very unhappy customers.

Last edited:
Good catch!

Yes, I originally configured 6 seats because I preferred it from "The Reveal" founder car I rode in 2nd row of. Our family size is only 3. However, when we got home, my wife pointed out for our business use case, (showing clients property), we should have 5 guest seats. Thus I changed from 6 configured with my iPhone+/Safari browser to 7 with my server/Chrome.

Tesla did not generate an updated MVPA. I need to ask them about that when I call/email to add the 72 amp A/C charger $1K option that's not web-configurable.

This is supposed to become my car but my wife is a Realtor as well and she has an eye on the car so.... I really wanted a Model 3 anyway.
Interesting find on the Easter egg (typing charger on the config page) to get the 72a charger which we would like as well.

Now up to 13,500 in options over the 90D. With the possible delays in the 90D production, I might just delay/cancel and wait for a more mature version of the car and get one when they become available without a reservation. No hurry and it might be hard to not confirm an order once I can configure...

My fear is that with this option hidden, it will eventually be discontinued. Tesla seems to do this with options that will be phased out (e.g. paint colors). They leave them "off-menu" for a while and those in the know can ask for it, but eventually, they're gone for good. While I feel lucky to be able to order an X with a 72A charger, I would feel sorry for those configuring a year from now when it may no longer be available.

This is supposed to become my car but my wife is a Realtor as well and she has an eye on the car so.... I really wanted a Model 3 anyway.
Interesting find on the Easter egg (typing charger on the config page) to get the 72a charger which we would like as well.

Now up to 13,500 in options over the 90D. With the possible delays in the 90D production, I might just delay/cancel and wait for a more mature version of the car and get one when they become available without a reservation. No hurry and it might be hard to not confirm an order once I can configure...

Tesla is constantly making non-pre-announced improvements to avoid the Osbourne effect. I thought Panasonic has a newer battery than what is being used? You never know by the time they build 90D's they may have part of the Gigafactory online and they might morph into 100D's or 110D's. They also might be AutoPilot v. 2.0 with more sensors to enable more "auto". This is all pure rumor and speculation. Anyway, I hope those who continue waiting will be rewarded with something I won't be able to obtain. It's only fair, kind of like time value of money, except it's time value of waiting for Tesla Time! :)

For me, I'm still on the Ludicrous fence. I can just maintain my Insanity and re-allocate the $11K including taxes to buy SCTY or more TSLA. It will be 18.75% slower 0-60 mph. I'm curious about people that have Model S P90DL and have driven S P90D's. Can you really even tell the difference???

I'm the only sport/insane/ludicrous driver in my family. LOL My wife will turn all that stuff off when she drives it.