Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's rather funny how often new forum members "know" things that no one else does (because they "heard" of a delivery, or just have this sixth sense that "many" are hidden away in some secret Tesla warehouse that no one knows about...)

:rolleyes:

Just like all the people who were insisting that there were upwards of 30 or 40 Founders cars being delivered in October/November, only to have their bubble burst when Elon tweeted that only #13 was just delivered last week.

As always, I hope the psychic optimists are right (because my wife and I want our 90D too, sooner rather than later). But all the evidence is to the contrary, despite many of us hoping for a holiday surprise.

New forum member or not: yes, I was at a store and the sales person who was demonstrating the newest S and autopilot etc. told me that they knew of a delivery recently from a significant other in the know.... I cannot validate that claim.... What I do KNOW is that I am lucky enough to to KNOW what I claim recently....There are many Xes under manufacture and many nearly complete or fully complete.

New forum member or not: yes, I was at a store and the sales person who was demonstrating the newest S and autopilot etc. told me that they knew of a delivery recently from a significant other in the know.... I cannot validate that claim.... What I do KNOW is that I am lucky enough to to KNOW what I claim recently....There are many Xes under manufacture and many nearly complete or fully complete.

Can you define 'many'? Not trying to be a wise guy but 'many' means different things to different people. Ten, fifty, hundreds?

Can you define 'many'? Not trying to be a wise guy but 'many' means different things to different people. Ten, fifty, hundreds?

Many can certainly mean many things to many people. In my world many should mean about 10-20. Seems a good round number. That being said, it seems all is primed for many more than that, soon enough. All seems ready to produce in significant numbers...

Thankfully I won't be asked to configure for at least a couple of weeks (Production 8k). However, if I move forward, it's going to be a 6-seater for sure. I don't want the console, though. I like the openness and ability to climb through, if necessary, without moving seats. So armrests are a biggie for me as well.

I'm glad I'm not in a real hurry. I have my MS and it covers 95+% of our driving needs. I'll probably hold out on finalizing configuration until I've:

1. Seen one in person and driven it.
2. Digested the feedback from our community here once they take delivery.

So yeah.. confirm in January, if I'm lucky.
That's pretty much my plan. I may be in the next batch (as they seem to do a little more than 2k reservations at a time), but I will not do anything until I've driven the car.
Frankly, at this point I'd put the chance of canceling the reservation at about 75%. Who knows, maybe I'll be blown away when I drive it (or more importantly, my wife will be blown away when she drives it). But I doubt it.

OK Submitted by temporary config last night (see below). This is a pretty expensive purchase for us specially on top of our 2012 Model S. Still agonizing over a few things, would hope and appreciate for comments from folks here:

1- Chose accessory hitch vs trailer hitch or no hitch. My rationale is that accessory is free and maybe I would use for bikes at some point. I can't see myself towing anything. That said I worry some people may want the trailer hitch and could be a resale value problem (doubt it can be retrofitted).

2- Picked 20 silver wheels. I like the look of the 22s much more, but it is a lot (4.5K) more and likely will be a constant source of curb rash concern and damage.

3- Got the high amp charger because we will be a full Tesla household and I don't want to have any charging regrets ever. My S85 doesn't have it and was never an issue but then again right now we still have an ICE.

4- Couldn't work myself to cough 4.5K for the Premium upgrades. I like the self presenting doors and super clean air, but don't think I can justify the premium to myself

Model X 90D
All-Wheel Drive
Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
20" Silver Wheels
Ultra White Seats
Matte Obeche Wood Décor
Black Headliner
Seven Seat Interior
Supercharger Enabled
High Amperage Charger Upgrade
Autopilot Convenience Features
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Accessory Hitch

Submitted by temporary config last night (see below). This is a pretty expensive purchase for us specially on top of our 2012 Model S. Still agonizing over a few things, would hope and appreciate for comments from folks here

I think your 1-4 are spot on as far as a balance between cost and function. I'd splurge for the charger. My guess is 22s is a recipe for flats on that vehicle. Look at the situation with 21s on the MS, which is a lighter vehicle. All sounds good, and even your color/etc are what I'd choose.

Nice job and congrats.

Txs @ohmman! I found a good pic that seems to show that wheel and color combo I chose. I like the way it looks.

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 10.23.13 PM.png

Any thoughts on whether most folks expect trailer hitch for an SUV of this kind ? Btw I'm trying to figure out the looks of the back for trailer hitch/access.hitch/no hitch option. Found the pic below, seems to show some hitch hidden by a cover. Looks nice, wonder if trailer or accessory.

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 10.08.53 PM.png

SCModelX, I do appreciate the information you provided and it's actually inline with expectation. I know some people might get frustrated with 10-20 under manufacture because it's an order less than what Elon claimed a few hundreds/week production rate by end of 2015.

DUDE (or Dudette), what EXACTLY is your problem!?!?! I was at the reveal, I have information that I thought might be helpful to some.... But this attack is bizarre to me!!!! I am a huge fan. In line for my X. I have paid attention to what is going on, and sharing my knowledge. The juvenile attack against those for sharing what they know, and observe is shocking to me. Ewwww.

I sure hope you have more control over your kids than I do. Instigating a no mess policy in our Model X would be like trying to stop it raining by shouting at the clouds.

Ha! I would have thought the same, but we have that policy for our MS - no eating in the car except for trips. It's mostly (surprisingly) successful. Don't underestimate your kids!

I configured my Model X on Monday. I noticed this morning that I had the option to confirm now or wait until December 7. I confirmed order. Below are the options I selected and why for those researching options for their X.

1) 70D - I do not need extra range or power, this is a city driving car. We have another car for road trips.
2) Midnight Silver Metallic Paint, $1,000 - I was going to go with Black to play it safe. I found it difficult to pick a color without actually seeing one in person. I went to the Tesla store but could not find a color I liked on the S. The Midnight Silver Metallic color looks great on the website, but CGI pictures don't tell the whole story. This link of a mule with Midnight Silver sealed the color choice for me. Random Model X sightings - Page 40
3) 7 Seat option, $4,000 - family of five hauling young kids to sports, school and other functions.
4) Autopilot, $2,500 - I think this is a must.
5) Black multi-pattern seats, standard - I am relying on local Tesla reps and the Model S forum discussion surrounding these seats vs. leather. I started researching this option when Bonnie indicated she would select this interior. I do not particularly care for the leather in the Model S cars I have sat in. Plus I hear good things about the look, feel and longevity of the synthetic seat. Not having to spend $2,500 for leather certainly helped. Finally, unlike the Model S, it looks like the structure of the seat is the same for synthetic and leather, and the front seats look the same as the "next gen" front seats from the S, which is an upgrade on the S.
6) Matte Obeche Wood Decor, standard - This is my favorite material from the website. The Model S forum thread shows people are pleased with this trim. Finally, it is an upgrade on the S and is standard on the X, which feels like getting something for nothing. Nice feeling after configuring a car with a price of $88,700 (includes $1,200 delivery/doc fee). Here is a link to a discussion about how this trim holds up on the S - Obeche Matte Trim Decor - How Well Is It Holding Up?
7) Black headliner, standard - I was pleased they offered this option on the X as standard. On the S, to get a black headliner you have to select the premium package. I chose black because it goes best with the black multi-pattern seats, the only available synthetic option on the 70D.
8) Accessory Hitch, free - I ordered just in case.

I hope this helps others as they consider configurations options on the X. I also hope that now that I have committed to the car, I can stop obsessively checking this forum.

I sure hope you have more control over your kids than I do. Instigating a no mess policy in our Model X would be like trying to stop it raining by shouting at the clouds.

I am am also getting the white seats and have three kids.... Triplets/12 years old. They are super excited about the car, so I'm hoping they can control their mess somewhat. They do say the seats are treated with a stain resistant coating. Good luck to all!

I configured my Model X on Monday. I noticed this morning that I had the option to confirm now or wait until December 7. I confirmed order. Below are the options I selected and why for those researching options for their X.

1) 70D - I do not need extra range or power, this is a city driving car. We have another car for road trips.
2) Midnight Silver Metallic Paint, $1,000 - I was going to go with Black to play it safe. I found it difficult to pick a color without actually seeing one in person. I went to the Tesla store but could not find a color I liked on the S. The Midnight Silver Metallic color looks great on the website, but CGI pictures don't tell the whole story. This link of a mule with Midnight Silver sealed the color choice for me. Random Model X sightings - Page 40
3) 7 Seat option, $4,000 - family of five hauling young kids to sports, school and other functions.
4) Autopilot, $2,500 - I think this is a must.
5) Black multi-pattern seats, standard - I am relying on local Tesla reps and the Model S forum discussion surrounding these seats vs. leather. I started researching this option when Bonnie indicated she would select this interior. I do not particularly care for the leather in the Model S cars I have sat in. Plus I hear good things about the look, feel and longevity of the synthetic seat. Not having to spend $2,500 for leather certainly helped. Finally, unlike the Model S, it looks like the structure of the seat is the same for synthetic and leather, and the front seats look the same as the "next gen" front seats from the S, which is an upgrade on the S.
6) Matte Obeche Wood Decor, standard - This is my favorite material from the website. The Model S forum thread shows people are pleased with this trim. Finally, it is an upgrade on the S and is standard on the X, which feels like getting something for nothing. Nice feeling after configuring a car with a price of $88,700 (includes $1,200 delivery/doc fee). Here is a link to a discussion about how this trim holds up on the S - Obeche Matte Trim Decor - How Well Is It Holding Up?
7) Black headliner, standard - I was pleased they offered this option on the X as standard. On the S, to get a black headliner you have to select the premium package. I chose black because it goes best with the black multi-pattern seats, the only available synthetic option on the 70D.

I hope this helps others as they consider configurations options on the X. I also hope that now that I have committed to the car, I can stop obsessively checking this forum.

Great post. Congrats on finalizing/confirming.

Haha, with my car now, every time I get the interior cleaned, I make a no eating rule and it literally lasts a week.

- - - Updated - - -

I like that idea. I think it's more reasonable. We plan on driving our Model X from Chicago to DC for spring break.
Ha! I would have thought the same, but we have that policy for our MS - no eating in the car except for trips. It's mostly (surprisingly) successful. Don't underestimate your kids!

Question... was the black multi-pattern seats the only synthetic option for the 90D, too? Other than the ultra white, any color other than black for non-leather seating for models other than 70D? Thanks, I might be in the next batch and trying to get a handle on things. Black seating in FL not the best option!