Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two synthetic and two leather seating options.

Synthetic
Black Multi-Pattern (fabric seating surfaces with synthetic trim) - Included, not available with Premium package
Ultra-White (full synthetic seating surfaces and trim) - $2500

Leather
Black - $2500
Tan - $2500
Note: trim is synthetic unless Premium package is ordered

I configured my Model X on Monday. I noticed this morning that I had the option to confirm now or wait until December 7. I confirmed order. Below are the options I selected and why for those researching options for their X.
Congrats!

5) Black multi-pattern seats, standard - I am relying on local Tesla reps and the Model S forum discussion surrounding these seats vs. leather. I started researching this option when Bonnie indicated she would select this interior. I do not particularly care for the leather in the Model S cars I have sat in. Plus I hear good things about the look, feel and longevity of the synthetic seat. Not having to spend $2,500 for leather certainly helped.
Be careful there. Some of the discussion about the "synthetic seats" looking and feeling comfortable and supple, etc. (on the X at least) was in reference to the ultra white seats. These are apparently a synthetic "Vegan-friendly" leather. I was in them at the reveal and they felt like leather (in a good way). Very nice seats. I, too will most likely get the black cloth seats as I like the price. :) I don't believe any of the cars at the reveal had cloth seats, just leather and synthetic leather.

7) Black headliner, standard - I was pleased they offered this option on the X as standard. On the S, to get a black headliner you have to select the premium package. I chose black because it goes best with the black multi-pattern seats, the only available synthetic option on the 70D.
See above comment. Also, I am on the fence about black or light headliner with the black cloth seats but am leaning toward the light headliner as I like the contrast. Black top with black seats seems a little too shadowy for my tastes. The black headliner does look great with the Ultra White seats.
I hope this helps others as they consider configurations options on the X.
Always helpful to see other people's thought processes.
I also hope that now that I have committed to the car, I can stop obsessively checking this forum.
Good luck with that! :)

Congrats!

Be careful there. Some of the discussion about the "synthetic seats" looking and feeling comfortable and supple, etc. (on the X at least) was in reference to the ultra white seats. These are apparently a synthetic "Vegan-friendly" leather. I was in them at the reveal and they felt like leather (in a good way). Very nice seats. I, too will most likely get the black cloth seats as I like the price. :) I don't believe any of the cars at the reveal had cloth seats, just leather and synthetic leather.

MrBoylan - thanks for your reply. I have confirmed from Tesla inside sales that the black multi-pattern black seats are the same materials and will have a similar mix of textile and synthetic leather that the base S seat has. I was basing my decision on the base S seat so I feel good about the response I got. However, the representative I spoke with sounded young, green and was only going off of pictures he was looking at. I am resigned to waiting until I can actually see an X with the seat option I chose and paying the $500 change fee if I do not like it. Since I selected a 70D, I should have many months to figure this out.

I have confirmed from Tesla inside sales that the black multi-pattern black seats are the same materials and will have a similar mix of textile and synthetic leather that the base S seat has. I was basing my decision on the base S seat so I feel good about the response I got. However, the representative I spoke with sounded young, green and was only going off of pictures he was looking at. I am resigned to waiting until I can actually see an X with the seat option I chose and paying the $500 change fee if I do not like it. Since I selected a 70D, I should have many months to figure this out.
Yup. They do look like the S seats in the design studio. Sounds like a plan. BTW, SEE! I told you you couldn't stay away! :)

OK Submitted by temporary config last night (see below). This is a pretty expensive purchase for us specially on top of our 2012 Model S. Still agonizing over a few things, would hope and appreciate for comments from folks here:

1- Chose accessory hitch vs trailer hitch or no hitch. My rationale is that accessory is free and maybe I would use for bikes at some point. I can't see myself towing anything. That said I worry some people may want the trailer hitch and could be a resale value problem (doubt it can be retrofitted).

2- Picked 20 silver wheels. I like the look of the 22s much more, but it is a lot (4.5K) more and likely will be a constant source of curb rash concern and damage.

3- Got the high amp charger because we will be a full Tesla household and I don't want to have any charging regrets ever. My S85 doesn't have it and was never an issue but then again right now we still have an ICE.

4- Couldn't work myself to cough 4.5K for the Premium upgrades. I like the self presenting doors and super clean air, but don't think I can justify the premium to myself

Model X 90D
All-Wheel Drive
Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
20" Silver Wheels
Ultra White Seats
Matte Obeche Wood Décor
Black Headliner
Seven Seat Interior
Supercharger Enabled
High Amperage Charger Upgrade
Autopilot Convenience Features
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Accessory Hitch

I think I'd do nearly the same but would drop the Ultra High Fidelity Sound, might splurge on the self-presenting doors & air filter (+ nice LED lights), and would choose a different color (probably blue) -- however, I have come around on the nose of the white and actually think it looks pretty dern cool now.

Oh, I'd also go for the 70D since I personally don't feel like I need more range than that (and don't even need anything close to that probably 95% of the time).

Wait, did you not get Autopilot? Would definitely get that!

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the configuration site used to have a light headliner with the UW seats. White and cream isn't the lovliest combo, so perhaps that why it isn't going to be configured that way..... But who knows.

I also wonder when the obsession will end ?!?!? At delivery? After 3 reveal? Model Y? And on and on :)

Also, I am on the fence about black or light headliner with the black cloth seats but am leaning toward the light headliner as I like the contrast. Black top with black seats seems a little too shadowy for my tastes. The black headliner does look great with the Ultra White seats.

I wonder if the light headliner would reflect in the large pano-windscreen when driving at night?

Personal notes in red

Model X 90D 88,000 - I really really wish I didn't need the 90D, unfortunately I drive ALOT for work..
Including $7,500.00 Federal Tax Credit - when they write it this way it annoys me abit, like they're trying to ease the pain or something. Just write how much it's going to cost me up front, and then at the bottom remind us of the tax credit...
All-Wheel Drive Included

EXTERIOR
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint 1,000 - When I first preordered the X 3 years ago, I initially thought I'd have a beautiful green model x, I wish they'd bring that color back, it was so damn sexy. Silver will have to do.
20" Silver Wheels Included - 22's would be nice but I'm tired of spending money. And I don't think they're worth the 4500 they're asking

INTERIOR
Black Leather Seats 2,500 - I originally had multi pattern, but for reasons that I will explain below, that wasn't an option
Matte Obeche Wood Décor Included
Black Headliner Included
Six Seat Interior 3,000 - I like having the extra leg room/ compartment space between the second row seats. Possible middle console later?

CHARGING
Supercharger Enabled Included
High Amperage Charger Upgrade 1,000 - I drive alot, and sometimes I don't get home till late. Can't chance it.

OPTIONS
Autopilot Convenience Features 2,500 - if there was anything that I would deem as a must have, it's this. I can not WAIT to have this technology at my fingertips. I can feel the stress levels lowering as I type.
Premium Upgrades Package 4,500 - OK this is the one that gave me so much trouble. I was going back and forth and back again, but in the end they got me. self presenting door? gimmicky. I would have passed if sold by itself. HEPA filter? ok, kinda cool, but not going to fork over cold hard cash for it if it was a la carte. ventilated front seats? yea thats nice. extra leather ****? sure thats nice too. alcantara headliner? yes please. I love the feel of it. ambient lighting? Guess what, I'm a grown ass man but for some reason I LOVE these things! I practically bought the whole premium package for the stupid lights! LED turning lights? Safety feature, thats cool. So technically I'm getting all these features for 7k, remember I wasn't going to get the leather seats but I'm forced to now. Probably a stupid buy but you know what I've been waiting 3 years for this thing, I wanted to splurge alil bit.
Smart Air Suspension Included - another thing I had no interest in buying, but was forced into.
Subzero Weather Package 1,000 -1000 bucks and I get heated everything?! Thats best deal so far!
Destination & Doc Fee 1,200

VEHICLE PRICE AFTER TAX CREDIT 104,700
Before the $7,500.00 federal tax credit, the price of this Model X is $112,200.00 . Tax credits either decrease your annual tax due or increase your annual tax refund – they do not reduce your amount due at time of delivery.

Confirmed. There's no going back now. This was such a roller coaster ride. A mix of emotions. On one hand I'm happy it's almost over, but on the other HOLY **** AM I ABOUT TO SPEND 120,000.00 DOLLARS ON THIS CAR?!? Am I crazy? I must be crazy. The good news is I hope to use the hummer tax loophole along with the 7500.00 tax credit, so thats around 14000 I'll get back at the end of the year.
I can almost touch it! I just want to take my hand and put it through the monitor and just take it. It's almost over, this horrible horrible 2 year tease. :)

also I was bored and decided to check what the price of a model s would be with similar features. To Elons word, it came out almost exactly 5000.00 dollars cheaper, 106,450 to be exact.

Last edited:
Personal notes in red

Confirmed. There's no going back now. This was such a roller coaster ride. A mix of emotions. On one hand I'm happy it's almost over, but on the other HOLY **** AM I ABOUT TO SPEND 120,000.00 DOLLARS ON THIS CAR?!? Am I crazy? I must be crazy. The good news is I hope to use the hummer tax loophole along with the 7500.00 tax credit, so thats around 14000 I'll get back at the end of the year.
I can almost touch it! I just want to take my hand and put it through the monitor and just take it. It's almost over, this horrible horrible 2 year tease. :)

Congrats! I will be in the next wave to configure and I agree with you that the option that is giving me the most trouble is the premium package. self opening doors is nice but won't be used very much, except to show off to people. The air filter is my quandary in this giant premium bundle. I'm not a pessimistic person, but I am extremely skeptical that this air filter will be drastically different than any luxury vehicle that touts a premium air filter (I had a Infiniti G37 with some special filter and whenever some old car or cigarette smoker was in front of me it was like they were in the car with me... basically a typical auto air filter) I know I will be pissed if I decide to get premium and I get some of the same old smells that this filter promises to block!

I want the LED ambient lighting. Turning headlights can't hurt. LED fog lights must look nice. (what do we get as an alternative for fog lights if premium isn't selected?) Ventilated seats would be a huge plus since I spend all year in Arizona. The leather trim and headliner stuff doesn't excite me, but maybe its because I haven't seen it in person.

I wish they broke up the premium package into two separate packages, one with the HEPA filter and auto presenting doors and leather accents... and the other one being the interior LED ambient lighting, turning lights and LED fog lights.. so that package would be congruent with lighting.

I can live without the auto doors and I don't think the HEPA filter will live up to my expectations based on how they describe it. So I have to fork over 4.5k for more lighting options and a cool breeze up my a**??? That is my personal dilemma.

That and the high fidelity sound package. I like my sirius/xm channels, but I listen to music far less frequently now that I have kids that I tote around (one year old twins!) I would love to shave off some money by excluding this package but will I miss the convenience of my satellite radio? Will the sound be that much better than what comes standard? (many argue that it will, but we have nothing to base it off since no one has been in a Model X without the premium sound package yet.

I would love to hear more people chime in on their thoughts on the premium package and sound package! These comments do help shape the way I feel about a particular option, so these posts with personal comments on options are great!

I would love to hear more people chime in on their thoughts on the premium package and sound package! These comments do help shape the way I feel about a particular option, so these posts with personal comments on options are great!

I figure that I have "saved" $12k by saying NO to:

22" wheels - totally don't need 'em
leather seats - totally don't want 'em
trim upgrade - matte obeche will do fine
the Premium pkg - wanted that filter, but not the auto doors, lights etc. so no (& $4,500 ?! yeeesh )
Oh yeah - & the Ludicrous :rolleyes: oh well, that's another $10k

so anyway, what I'm getting at is that my wife saw my configuration and said, "don't you want your XM?" BOOM! $2,500, that I thought I had "saved", was back on there. She's great. Funny though, if I had ordered $4,500 worth of extra tires and wheels, she probably wouldn't have noticed. ML

so anyway, what I'm getting at is that my wife saw my configuration and said, "don't you want your XM?" BOOM! $2,500, that I thought I had "saved", was back on there. She's great. Funny though, if I had ordered $4,500 worth of extra tires and wheels, she probably wouldn't have noticed. ML

Don't bother with XM. It was a big deal to me when I got my MS, but once you have streaming Slacker, XM is pointless (at least to me). I cancelled my subscription and do everything through TuneIn and Slacker now. Need my pause/skip.

Don't bother with XM. It was a big deal to me when I got my MS, but once you have streaming Slacker, XM is pointless (at least to me). I cancelled my subscription and do everything through TuneIn and Slacker now. Need my pause/skip.

Yeah, and the subscription isn't cheap either, especially if you (we) have enabled multi receivers. Thing is, Kelly noticed that the ultra premium super sound upgrade (is it better?:eek:) is the only built-in access to the XM. So I'll get a killer car stereo (remember when we called 'em that?) & my XM for what it's worth. ML

As part of my "rationalization" process to justify (in my mind) such a big purchase, I went on to price a BMWX5 with what I think are comparable luxuries and gizmos. Comes out to 85.5K, which is 5K below my 90D price (after tax credit, CA rebate, gas savings in 5 years). Sounds like a great deal: 5K buys me top notch safety (bye bye rollover risk), unique autopilot, unique and functional falcon doors, over the air updates, huge flatscreen vs ugly buttons, GPS air suspension, panorama windshield, 10 cubic feet more luggage. Oh, and helps save the world and end the oil era which I care a lot about.

My X5 xDrive50iDetails
4.4-liter, BMW TwinPower Turbo technology V-8 engine
xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
See all standard features

BASE MSRP

$70,700

cosy.arox?client=byo&brand=wbbm&view=paint_200x75&paint=P0A83.jpg

Glacier Silver Metallic

$0

cosy.arox?client=byo&brand=wbbm&view=fabric_200x75&fabric=FLCSW.jpg

Black Dakota Leather

$0

cosy.arox?client=byo&brand=wbbm&view=trim_200x75&vehicle=16XJ&sa=S04DD.jpg

Fineline Pure Wood Trim

$0

Dynamic Handling Package

$4,000

Lighting Package

$1,900

19" Light alloy V-Spoke wheels style 450-with all-season run-flat tires

$0

Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension

$0

M steering wheel

$0

Sport Automatic Transmission

$0

3rd row seat + rear axle air suspension

$1,700

Parking Assistant

$500

Shadowline exterior trim

$0

Smartphone Integration

$200

Bang & Olufsen Sound System

$3,700

ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant

$1,900

Destination & Handling:

$995

BMW Ultimate Service®

A suite of premium benefits that are included at no cost with all new BMW Vehicles.

Up to 4 Years/50,000 Miles Warranty
Included

Up to 4 Years/50,000 Miles
Maintenance Program
Included

Up to 4 Years/Unlimited Mileage
Roadside Assistance
Included

Total MSRP as Built$85,595

Yeah, and the subscription isn't cheap either, especially if you (we) have enabled multi receivers. Thing is, Kelly noticed that the ultra premium super sound upgrade (is it better?:eek:) is the only built-in access to the XM. So I'll get a killer car stereo (remember when we called 'em that?) & my XM for what it's worth. ML

You will NEVER use XM once you have Slacker....the ability to skip songs or play any song on demand is awesome. Plus their channel lineup crushes XM.

Well I locked in. Most expensive car I Have ever purchased. Never waited four years for anything. Only took a year with my first love to lose my ?? I digress. I bit the bullet and got a P90D. I am not willing to see what 2nd half of 2016 means , have Lexus 450h lease coming up and do not want to have a 6 month solution to pay for. Here she is and I can't wait to drive her and am confident will still be the cool granddad 15 years from now.

Go Bears

Blue with tan leather
Black headliner- might have gotten the tan if I had seen it but close to the seat tan would not be good
Ash wood
Winter and tow - got to get to Tahoe for skiing and boating
Air suspension
Luxury package- on a la cart would not have bought all but need most and the others are ok
20 inch wheels - for towing and snow tires. Might paint black or grey
Auto pilot- The future!!!
7 seat
72 amp charger

image.tiff

Last edited:
Well I locked in. Most expensive car I Have ever purchased. Never waited four years for anything. Only took a year with my first love to lose my ?? I digress. I bit the bullet and got a P90D. I am not willing to see what 2nd half of 2016 means , have Lexus 450h lease coming up and do not want to have a 6 month solution to pay for. Here she is and I can't wait to drive her and am confident will still be the cool granddad 15 years from now.

Go Bears

Blue with tan leather
Black headliner- might have gotten the tan if I had seen it but close to the seat tan would not be good
Ash wood
Winter and tow - got to get to Tahoe for skiing and boating
Air suspension
Luxury package- on a la cart would not have bought all but need most and the others are ok
20 inch wheels - for towing and snow tires. Might paint black or grey
Auto pilot- The future!!!
7 seat
72 amp charger

Nice configuration ... Go Stanford!