Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! I will be in the next wave to configure and I agree with you that the option that is giving me the most trouble is the premium package. self opening doors is nice but won't be used very much, except to show off to people. The air filter is my quandary in this giant premium bundle. I'm not a pessimistic person, but I am extremely skeptical that this air filter will be drastically different than any luxury vehicle that touts a premium air filter (I had a Infiniti G37 with some special filter and whenever some old car or cigarette smoker was in front of me it was like they were in the car with me... basically a typical auto air filter) I know I will be pissed if I decide to get premium and I get some of the same old smells that this filter promises to block!

I want the LED ambient lighting. Turning headlights can't hurt. LED fog lights must look nice. (what do we get as an alternative for fog lights if premium isn't selected?) Ventilated seats would be a huge plus since I spend all year in Arizona. The leather trim and headliner stuff doesn't excite me, but maybe its because I haven't seen it in person.

I wish they broke up the premium package into two separate packages, one with the HEPA filter and auto presenting doors and leather accents... and the other one being the interior LED ambient lighting, turning lights and LED fog lights.. so that package would be congruent with lighting.

I can live without the auto doors and I don't think the HEPA filter will live up to my expectations based on how they describe it. So I have to fork over 4.5k for more lighting options and a cool breeze up my a**??? That is my personal dilemma.

That and the high fidelity sound package. I like my sirius/xm channels, but I listen to music far less frequently now that I have kids that I tote around (one year old twins!) I would love to shave off some money by excluding this package but will I miss the convenience of my satellite radio? Will the sound be that much better than what comes standard? (many argue that it will, but we have nothing to base it off since no one has been in a Model X without the premium sound package yet.

I would love to hear more people chime in on their thoughts on the premium package and sound package! These comments do help shape the way I feel about a particular option, so these posts with personal comments on options are great!

I went into local Tesla store that had standard and premium sound in two Model S sedans in showroom. I could not tell much, if any difference in sound quality. The bass was a bit deeper but the large woofer took up a good amount of room in trunk. For these reasons plus cost savings, I chose standard sound.

Personal notes in red

Model X 90D 88,000 - I really really wish I didn't need the 90D, unfortunately I drive ALOT for work..
Including $7,500.00 Federal Tax Credit - when they write it this way it annoys me abit, like they're trying to ease the pain or something. Just write how much it's going to cost me up front, and then at the bottom remind us of the tax credit...
All-Wheel Drive Included

EXTERIOR
Midnight Silver Metallic Paint 1,000 - When I first preordered the X 3 years ago, I initially thought I'd have a beautiful green model x, I wish they'd bring that color back, it was so damn sexy. Silver will have to do.
20" Silver Wheels Included - 22's would be nice but I'm tired of spending money. And I don't think they're worth the 4500 they're asking

INTERIOR
Black Leather Seats 2,500 - I originally had multi pattern, but for reasons that I will explain below, that wasn't an option
Matte Obeche Wood Décor Included
Black Headliner Included
Six Seat Interior 3,000 - I like having the extra leg room/ compartment space between the second row seats. Possible middle console later?

CHARGING
Supercharger Enabled Included
High Amperage Charger Upgrade 1,000 - I drive alot, and sometimes I don't get home till late. Can't chance it.

OPTIONS
Autopilot Convenience Features 2,500 - if there was anything that I would deem as a must have, it's this. I can not WAIT to have this technology at my fingertips. I can feel the stress levels lowering as I type.
Premium Upgrades Package 4,500 - OK this is the one that gave me so much trouble. I was going back and forth and back again, but in the end they got me. self presenting door? gimmicky. I would have passed if sold by itself. HEPA filter? ok, kinda cool, but not going to fork over cold hard cash for it if it was a la carte. ventilated front seats? yea thats nice. extra leather ****? sure thats nice too. alcantara headliner? yes please. I love the feel of it. ambient lighting? Guess what, I'm a grown ass man but for some reason I LOVE these things! I practically bought the whole premium package for the stupid lights! LED turning lights? Safety feature, thats cool. So technically I'm getting all these features for 7k, remember I wasn't going to get the leather seats but I'm forced to now. Probably a stupid buy but you know what I've been waiting 3 years for this thing, I wanted to splurge alil bit.
Smart Air Suspension Included - another thing I had no interest in buying, but was forced into.
Subzero Weather Package 1,000 -1000 bucks and I get heated everything?! Thats best deal so far!
Destination & Doc Fee 1,200

VEHICLE PRICE AFTER TAX CREDIT 104,700
Before the $7,500.00 federal tax credit, the price of this Model X is $112,200.00 . Tax credits either decrease your annual tax due or increase your annual tax refund – they do not reduce your amount due at time of delivery.

Confirmed. There's no going back now. This was such a roller coaster ride. A mix of emotions. On one hand I'm happy it's almost over, but on the other HOLY **** AM I ABOUT TO SPEND 120,000.00 DOLLARS ON THIS CAR?!? Am I crazy? I must be crazy. The good news is I hope to use the hummer tax loophole along with the 7500.00 tax credit, so thats around 14000 I'll get back at the end of the year.
I can almost touch it! I just want to take my hand and put it through the monitor and just take it. It's almost over, this horrible horrible 2 year tease. :)

also I was bored and decided to check what the price of a model s would be with similar features. To Elons word, it came out almost exactly 5000.00 dollars cheaper, 106,450 to be exact.

Thanks for the notes – interesting and fun to read!

Am fully with you on wanting that green back!! And the brown – not sure which I like more. You have to see them in the wild to really appreciate them, but here are a few pics I took (in Vancouver and Amsterdam) that show them off a little bit:

http://evobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_4424.jpg

http://evobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Tesla-Green-1.jpg

http://evobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Tesla-Model-S-Brown-Amsterdam-2.jpg

http://evobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Tesla-Green-7.jpg

http://evobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Tesla-Model-S-Brown-Amsterdam-3.jpg

http://evobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Tesla-Model-S-Brown-Amsterdam.jpg

http://evobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Tesla-Green-2.jpg

Oh, how I wish I could get one of those colors on the X! (or Y!)

Last edited:
Congrats! I will be in the next wave to configure and I agree with you that the option that is giving me the most trouble is the premium package. self opening doors is nice but won't be used very much, except to show off to people. The air filter is my quandary in this giant premium bundle. I'm not a pessimistic person, but I am extremely skeptical that this air filter will be drastically different than any luxury vehicle that touts a premium air filter (I had a Infiniti G37 with some special filter and whenever some old car or cigarette smoker was in front of me it was like they were in the car with me... basically a typical auto air filter) I know I will be pissed if I decide to get premium and I get some of the same old smells that this filter promises to block!

I want the LED ambient lighting. Turning headlights can't hurt. LED fog lights must look nice. (what do we get as an alternative for fog lights if premium isn't selected?) Ventilated seats would be a huge plus since I spend all year in Arizona. The leather trim and headliner stuff doesn't excite me, but maybe its because I haven't seen it in person.

I wish they broke up the premium package into two separate packages, one with the HEPA filter and auto presenting doors and leather accents... and the other one being the interior LED ambient lighting, turning lights and LED fog lights.. so that package would be congruent with lighting.

I can live without the auto doors and I don't think the HEPA filter will live up to my expectations based on how they describe it. So I have to fork over 4.5k for more lighting options and a cool breeze up my a**??? That is my personal dilemma.

That and the high fidelity sound package. I like my sirius/xm channels, but I listen to music far less frequently now that I have kids that I tote around (one year old twins!) I would love to shave off some money by excluding this package but will I miss the convenience of my satellite radio? Will the sound be that much better than what comes standard? (many argue that it will, but we have nothing to base it off since no one has been in a Model X without the premium sound package yet.

I would love to hear more people chime in on their thoughts on the premium package and sound package! These comments do help shape the way I feel about a particular option, so these posts with personal comments on options are great!

I'm surprised you don't think the filter will be worlds better than those in any other vehicle. Did you watch the presentation?

How did you experience that with what kind of music? That is a good news. I would really like to get the upgrade audio if it's that much better.

I was at the reveal event and was able to listen to the upgraded audio for a few minutes during the test ride. I believe the source material was slacker, pop/rock. For comparison, I have the Reus system in my S. While I don't want to make any absolute claims after only a few minutes experience, I think it's likely Tesla's system will meet my audiophile needs and won't need to mess with aftermarket. (Sorry Cliff!)

I was at the reveal event and was able to listen to the upgraded audio for a few minutes during the test ride. I believe the source material was slacker, pop/rock. For comparison, I have the Reus system in my S. While I don't want to make any absolute claims after only a few minutes experience, I think it's likely Tesla's system will meet my audiophile needs and won't need to mess with aftermarket. (Sorry Cliff!)
I feel the same, but do need to hear my music on the upgraded X system to compare and make a decision.

This is great to hear....errr...read as I'm on the fence about the upgrade.

Yeah, me too. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone's going to hear the non-premium system until next year at the earliest, as all founders and signature cars will have the premium audio standard, so there's nothing to compare it to.

All that said, $2,500 is a pretty big increase for a subwoofer and a some extra small speakers. I'd bet the profit margin on that upgrade is pretty high.

All that said, $2,500 is a pretty big increase for a subwoofer and a some extra small speakers. I'd bet the profit margin on that upgrade is pretty high.
The main reason I'm getting the premium Audio System on my Model X is for the XM radio. I travel in areas where there is no cell reception and it's nice to be able to listen to current events. I do also have it in my Model S, but at that time It was just a $750 upgrade. Hey, what's an extra $2500 among friends?

I had a low sequence number in the 1,100 block, put in my order about a week ago, but I was not sure about the model and options so I wanted to cancel my order process and be put back to the same spot in the queue. I talked to Tesla this morning, here's what I was told -

1. Canceling out the order process would cancel my old reservation and I will have to make a brand new reservation to be put to the end of the queue. Pretty bad situation for me, I misunderstood Tesla's 7-day confirmation policy.

2. It was Tesla's goal to invite all reservation holders by the end of the year to configure their Model X.

Thought this information might be helpful to some of you.

Just to double check, you have to have the air suspension option for the tow package.... correct?

Do you need the 90 to tow, or can you add the tow to the 70?

Ugh, why can't they just open the page to everyone who wants to poke around?!

I had a low sequence number in the 1,100 block, put in my order about a week ago, but I was not sure about the model and options so I wanted to cancel my order process and be put back to the same spot in the queue. I talked to Tesla this morning, here's what I was told -

1. Canceling out the order process would cancel my old reservation and I will have to make a brand new reservation to be put to the end of the queue. Pretty bad situation for me, I misunderstood Tesla's 7-day confirmation policy.

2. It was Tesla's goal to invite all reservation holders by the end of the year to configure their Model X.

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that's your first post. That sucks. You appear to have chosen an appropriate handle, as the news must sting.

Just to double check, you have to have the air suspension option for the tow package.... correct?

Given the range penalty that towing will have, even if the 70 is allowed I'd recommend looking at the 90.

Definitely useful - thanks for posting, and welcome! (I'm fairly new, myself)

Why note work with them to modify your order instead of cancelling. They may relax the penalty or reduce it to a small amount that would not effect you too much

Yes, you can select the tow package with a 70D and yes, it requires the Air Suspension. It says that in the option description and I confirmed that it automatically adds air suspension if you add the tow package.

I would include a screen shot but Photoshop just crapped out on me.