Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project: Glowing LED Front Air Intake for Facelifted S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All-
I have my new Model S on the way, which, being my first facelifted one, gave me the idea of installing an LED light strip inside the front air intake where the Tesla "T" is on the nose. It would activate when the headlights turn on and create a really unique look for the car at night.

Does anyone know the color temperature of the facelifted LED running lights?

I searched around and hadn't seen anyone do this to their car, but if someone knows of a thread doing the same thing please let me know.

I would try to make it look like this.

Also this

hqdefault.jpg

Interesting idea. The color temperature of LED used in headlights vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Typically you are looking at 4-6K range. Anything higher and you are entering the blue-ish hue.

I am assuming you are going to work with LED strips. The best would be to visit the hardware stores carrying different LEDs to see what works for you. It will mostly be a personal preference anyway. If you are trying to approach it from a scientific angle, you might need to invest in decent photometer.

A lot of the LED strips I've seen lately can be set for a HUGE variety of colors, so maybe just buy and have something variable so the color fits your mood or other situation.

I really like this idea: seems reasonably easy, low-cost, and pretty neat. I look forward to what you come up with.

I did this project a few months ago, with 88 RGBW addressable LEDs and a custom controller that ties into two can busses, so it automatically changes with the state of the car - Driving (which needs to be white to be legal), Parked, Emergency, and Test. Lots of patterns and color overrides via a phone with bluetooth. Even has an in-car display/mode control. Also shows the SOC while charging.

Here's the entire project writeup: Tshow – Front End Light Show | TeslaTap. Part 10 has a video with more modes.

Reactions: pgiralt