Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Home charging Install for 2014 tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, guys, read the law:

For purposes of this section, the term “qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property” has the same meaning as the term “qualified clean-fuel vehicle refueling property” would have under section 179A if—
(1) paragraph (1) of section 179A (d) did not apply to property installed on property which is used as the principal residence (within the meaning of section 121) of the taxpayer, and
(2) only the following were treated as clean-burning fuels for purposes of section 179A (d): (A) Any fuel at least 85 percent of the volume of which consists of one or more of the following: ethanol, natural gas, compressed natural gas, liquified natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, or hydrogen.
(B) Any mixture— (i) which consists of two or more of the following: biodiesel (as defined in section 40A (d)(1)), diesel fuel (as defined in section 4083 (a)(3)), or kerosene, and
(ii) at least 20 percent of the volume of which consists of biodiesel (as so defined) determined without regard to any kerosene in such mixture.

(C) Electricity.

It must be installed ON property qualified as your personal residence, and it refers to Code Section 121 (which provides for the 250/500K exclusion on the gain on the sale of one's personal residence.) So, you get to figure the credit on whatever equipment and installation that you paid for to charge your electric vehicle at your personal residence, period.

Most income tax litigation does not focus on whether the taxpayer has receipts or other documentation supporting the transaction that lowered his tax. Most litigation focuses on the facts and circumstances in that particular case. An installation of a charging plug after ordering a BEV would be prima facie evidence that it was installed for the car. An installation of a charging plug six months before ordering a BEV or without ever buying one, less likely. And, even with the best of intentions of purchasing a BEV that falls through after you installed the EVSE and received the credit, you must recapture the credit in the year that the deal falls through.

But seriously, most people who buy a Tesla and install EVSE to charge in the same taxable year will not be able to avail themselves of the 30C credit because the credit cannot lower your "tentative alternative minimum tax." The $7,500 tax credit is allowed to reduce your AMT, so most folks will have a "TMT" higher than their regular tax before the Section 30C EVSE credit. Granted, there are those in the 39.6% tax bracket with little or no preference items, so they don't have an AMT problem, and will be able to avail themselves of the EVSE credit as well.
Thank you.

The breaker, the wiring, the junction box, the outlet, and any other bits used for the installation of my 14-50 for the Tesla and now my 14-20 for the Volt are being claimed on 8911 as soon as TurboTax gets the form loaded into their software.

If anyone paid to have theirs installed, the labor also would count.

Hey, guys, read the law:

For purposes of this section, the term “qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property” has the same meaning as the term “qualified clean-fuel vehicle refueling property” would have under section 179A if—
(1) paragraph (1) of section 179A (d) did not apply to property installed on property which is used as the principal residence (within the meaning of section 121) of the taxpayer, and
(2) only the following were treated as clean-burning fuels for purposes of section 179A (d): (A) Any fuel at least 85 percent of the volume of which consists of one or more of the following: ethanol, natural gas, compressed natural gas, liquified natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, or hydrogen.
(B) Any mixture— (i) which consists of two or more of the following: biodiesel (as defined in section 40A (d)(1)), diesel fuel (as defined in section 4083 (a)(3)), or kerosene, and
(ii) at least 20 percent of the volume of which consists of biodiesel (as so defined) determined without regard to any kerosene in such mixture.

(C) Electricity.

It must be installed ON property qualified as your personal residence, and it refers to Code Section 121 (which provides for the 250/500K exclusion on the gain on the sale of one's personal residence.) So, you get to figure the credit on whatever equipment and installation that you paid for to charge your electric vehicle at your personal residence, period.

Most income tax litigation does not focus on whether the taxpayer has receipts or other documentation supporting the transaction that lowered his tax. Most litigation focuses on the facts and circumstances in that particular case. An installation of a charging plug after ordering a BEV would be prima facie evidence that it was installed for the car. An installation of a charging plug six months before ordering a BEV or without ever buying one, less likely. And, even with the best of intentions of purchasing a BEV that falls through after you installed the EVSE and received the credit, you must recapture the credit in the year that the deal falls through.

But seriously, most people who buy a Tesla and install EVSE to charge in the same taxable year will not be able to avail themselves of the 30C credit because the credit cannot lower your "tentative alternative minimum tax." The $7,500 tax credit is allowed to reduce your AMT, so most folks will have a "TMT" higher than their regular tax before the Section 30C EVSE credit. Granted, there are those in the 39.6% tax bracket with little or no preference items, so they don't have an AMT problem, and will be able to avail themselves of the EVSE credit as well.

That's a wonderfully detailed answer. I suppose I should now know the answer to my question, but .... Tax law makes my head swim. In reference to your last question, SOME of us live outside of beautiful California. In our states, taxes are low so the AMT doesn't come in to the calculation. To clarify that statement, without paying state income taxes, our write-offs don't come even close to the AMT kicking in.

So, if one is in a top tax bracket, has relatively little to write off except his new Tesla and a modest mortgage, can we fairly expect to be able to write off our "dual charger" option, and the subpoena the electrician says he needs to install, as my 400 amp panel is full?

Is the tax credit available in 2015?

Well the tax credit original expired at the end of 2013, but Congress surprised us by extending it (retroactively) through the end of 2014. So if it will be available in 2015 is up in the air. It might get extended again, but it might not. I would not count on it, if it is then it'll be a nice surprise.

So, if one is in a top tax bracket, has relatively little to write off except his new Tesla and a modest mortgage, can we fairly expect to be able to write off our "dual charger" option, and the subpoena the electrician says he needs to install, as my 400 amp panel is full?

The detailed answer above points out that you can't use the dual charger option for this tax credit. Your future tense makes me wonder if you haven't installed anything yet, in which case like I mentioned in my previous answer, this was only extended to the end of the 2014 tax year. In opinion if the sub-panel (assuming that's what you mean by subpoena) ends up with anything else on it I wouldn't try and claim the whole install. But I also don't think you're likely need to claim it to hit the max out the credit anyway. As chickensevil pointed out above it caps at $1,000 so as soon as you get to $3,334 in costs you've already maxed out what you can get. Given your mention of the dual charger if you'd already installed a HPWC you probably would be over $3,334 before you even got to the sub-panel replacement (though it might be close if you bought the HPWC after the price drop to $650).

Alrighty as I am FINALLY doing my taxes (mostly... going to have to wait to fully file when my investment account posts their information, but it won't really affect my income/tax) I thought I would include the information from TurboTax on the subject (I was quite pleased to see this was prompted IMMEDIATELY after telling them about the car and applying the 7500 credit!)

Charging stations for plug-in electric vehicles qualify for this credit.

You can claim this credit if you installed a charging or refueling station at your home.

You can claim this credit if you installed a charging or refueling station at your business location.

Credit Requirements
The following conditions must be met to qualify for this credit:
- You started using the station in 2014.
- You are the original owner of the station.
- The station is used primarily in the United States.
- The station is installed at a residential or business location.

Eligible Expenses to Claim
The cost of the charging or fueling station include:
- The amount you paid to purchase the station
- The fees you paid to have the station installed in your home or business location (i.e., electrician fees).
- Permit fees
- Any city, local, or state fees that you were required to pay in order to be able to install your station.

Example: You purchased your charging station for $850, paid an electrician $2,000 for installation and hardware. You would enter total cost as $2,850 for your station.

Limitations of this credit - Personal Use
- If your credit is bigger than what you owe in taxes, the taxes you owe are reduced to zero, and the rest of your credit is lost.

Example: If you owe $500 in taxes, and you receive a credit of $1,000, the tax you owe is reduced to zero, and the remaining $500 is lost. You won't receive a refund for the remaining $500.

- If you pay alternative minimum tax (AMT) you will not be able to claim this credit. If you are close to paying AMT, this credit may be limited by your tentative minimum tax as calculated on Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax - Individuals, line 33.

Limitations of this credit - Business Use
- The business portion of the credit is part of Form 3800, General Business Credit, so any unused amount of the credit is not lost, but is eligible for the carryback/carryforward provisions of the general business credit.

- If you use this station for business and claim a depreciation deduction, you must subtract the credit amount when TurboTax asks you to enter the cost of the station in the Business (Schedule C) or Farm section of the program.

Example: You paid $5,000 to purchase and install your station at your business location. The station is eligible for a credit of $1,500. To claim the depreciation deduction, you must subtract this credit amount when entering the cost of the station in the Business or Farm section of TurboTax.

Credit Recapture
You may have to recapture some or all of the credit if the station no longer qualifies for the credit.

This credit is claimed on Form 8911.

This hopefully fully answers anyone's questions on what is or isn't qualified to be claimed. I know we pretty much had it nailed down, but coming straight from TurboTax might help alleviate any further concerns. So the HPWC and whatever costs you paid to get the thing installed count. Keeping in mind that you really only need the total value to hit north of 3,334 as anything beyond that doesn't really matter cause you won't get anything extra.

That all being said, I assume they have autocalculated my AMT / TMT in the background because as soon as I click the next button it says I get nothing back. When I dive deeper into the documents later I will update if I spot something that stands out, but most likely the EV Credit dropped my exposure far too low to qualify.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
So I decided to attempt to manually fill out the AMT form (6251) until I got to the TMT section (line 33) just for curiosities sake, and assuming I filled everything out correctly I am overshooting the value by a bit more than 2k. So basically, I "owe" less than the TMT amount which is why of course I am not going to get anything on the credit.

I really can't complain overall since my paid tax amount vs the actual amount owed basically got cut in half for this year largely in part because of the EV credit. While it would have been nice to net another 1k (roughly) this is going to be the first year in a long time that I actually get money back on my return instead of owing them money.

Alrighty as I am FINALLY doing my taxes (mostly... going to have to wait to fully file when my investment account posts their information, but it won't really affect my income/tax) I thought I would include the information from TurboTax on the subject (I was quite pleased to see this was prompted IMMEDIATELY after telling them about the car and applying the 7500 credit!)

This hopefully fully answers anyone's questions on what is or isn't qualified to be claimed. I know we pretty much had it nailed down, but coming straight from TurboTax might help alleviate any further concerns. So the HPWC and whatever costs you paid to get the thing installed count. Keeping in mind that you really only need the total value to hit north of 3,334 as anything beyond that doesn't really matter cause you won't get anything extra.

That all being said, I assume they have autocalculated my AMT / TMT in the background because as soon as I click the next button it says I get nothing back. When I dive deeper into the documents later I will update if I spot something that stands out, but most likely the EV Credit dropped my exposure far too low to qualify.

Chicken, so "In TurboTax We Trust?" I think I have been cut to the quick! :crying: Seriously, good for you that you did your due diligence. Speaking from 35 years' of experience, not all are as determined as you!

Chicken, so "In TurboTax We Trust?" I think I have been cut to the quick! :crying: Seriously, good for you that you did your due diligence. Speaking from 35 years' of experience, not all are as determined as you!

Haha! You had very helpful information on this thread and I appreciated your input. So don't let almighty TurboTax take anything away from your input. ;)

Old thread, but relevant for me. Thanks for doing this! I finally pulled the trigger with my wife for the Model X. We were going to only get the NEMA, but I think we will go for the HPWC and just see what happens when we file for this year.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Is this the credit in question? If so, it was renewed and will be useful to new CPO owners even if they don't get the $7500 credit.
Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit
NOTE: This incentive originally expired on December 31, 2013, but was retroactively extended through December 31, 2016, by H.R. 2029(PDF).

Fueling equipment for natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas (propane), liquefied hydrogen, electricity, E85, or diesel fuel blends containing a minimum of 20% biodiesel installed between January 1, 2015, and December 31, 2016, is eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the cost, not to exceed $30,000. Permitting and inspection fees are not included in covered expenses. Fueling station owners who install qualified equipment at multiple sites are allowed to use the credit towards each location. Consumers who purchased qualified residential fueling equipment prior to December 31, 2016, may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000. Unused credits that qualify as general business tax credits, as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), may be carried backward one year and carried forward 20 years. For more information about claiming the credit, see IRS Form 8911, which is available on the IRS Forms and Publications website. (Reference Public Law 114-113; 26U.S. Code 30C and 38; and IRS Notice 2007-43(PDF))

Point of Contact
U.S. Internal Revenue Service
Phone: (800) 829-1040
Internal Revenue Service

Reactions: BigAirHarper