Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - Make sure that you use manual headlights in poor weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most car manufacturers, including Tesla (below), say that you should use manual headlights (rather than auto) in poor visibility, such as fog or heavy spray.

Today, a white Tesla Mode 3 passed me then in front of my eyes, pretty much disappeared into the spray. As it passed me, its rear lights were on, then, a few seconds later, they turned off. Almost certainly still under auto control as it was most definitely manual lights weather with spray from the motorway. Compared to the surrounding cars, and exasperated by the white colour, it was much harder to spot amongst the spray. Reasonable visibility when no spray was still there, just that spray from a car, or cars was enough to put us a bit of a invisibility cloak. Cars that had their lights on were much easier to spot.

I am not suggesting that in this particular case that it was a condition that may have caused an accident, unless someone else was travelling at stupid speed into a cloud of slower moving mist, but it is an example of auto headlights (from any manufacturer) struggling in certain road conditions. Had it been fog and as reported elsewhere Fog lights turning off automatically , turning lights off would then turn off rear fog lights and they would appear not to auto turn back on again. In those conditions it would however be a different story and a potential for someone to think that they are visible when they are not.

1646238196925.png

I’d be happy with an auto setting at this time of year that means ‘come on all the time when driving - like a Volvo’. My car seems to be getting the auto judgement call wrong quite a lot (with the light sensor being up in the windscreen cluster, and up being quite clear - can’t see a better design for that though). A bit more hysteresis in that function wouldn’t go amiss.

On other cars as soon as the wipers are on they turn on sidelights and in bad enough may also turn on headlights, in a world where most other manufacturers including "budget" ones have managed to get these things right it still amazes me that Tesla are so far behind. Don't worry though we will have an external farting boombox feature coming soon... 🙄

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
So by the end of the year then? \s
Hate to tell you it's not fixed. Two days ago:

Press the left stalk forwards, the mini light menu pops up bottom right of the screen, you can turn them on with a single touch.
Hunting and pecking for small icons on a touch screen display while driving in harsh conditions is not ideal though. There should be a proper physical control for safety essential settings.

I wouldn't be surprised if this makes it in to legislation for non-self driving cars at some point. Tesla are just way ahead of the curve in how far they’ve pushed the touch screen controls and the rules are out of date.

has the behaviour changed recently? I noticed yesterday on the motorway with a lot of spray (but bright) there wasn’t the usual light icons on the display. If its in DRL only does that mean it doesn’t show anything on the display? if so, how can I tell at a glance if they’re on or not. Am I safe to assume it will always have DRLs on at minmum

you’d also assume any triggering of the wipers would put the next stage lights on