Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Tesla loaner from Enterprise has cruise, but not adaptive (ACC)! Close call..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got a pre-AP 85 as a loaner, which meant no TACC, but it did have cruise control. There was a point at which I had engaged CC and came up on traffic, noticed the car wasn't slowing down, and immediately realized why. But the car is different in other ways, such as having the cruise stalk above the turn signal instead of underneath, so I never felt like my brain was on autopilot when driving it. ;)

Also, driving that loaner made me realize how much I've missed the old-style speedometer. It's just so much easier to read, with the speed, cruise setting, and real-time energy (plus odometer and brake light status) all integrated in one display instead of spread out into different widgets on the screen. If it has to be a choice between having that display and having TACC, then I'll take TACC. But I really wish Tesla would revisit the instrument panel UI and try to improve the "car is being driven by a human" case.

Reactions: David29
I feel like Tesla should explain what a loaner does and does not have prior to handing over the keys.

I also think it's a bit stupid that in order to get TACC you have to have autopilot. I feel like this is going to piss off a lot of future model 3 owners. An option to add just that feature for a fee would be nice.

Kinda surprised that Tesla is loaning out Tesla cars that they have rented from someone else (Enterprise in this case), and had previously sold to them. I suppose it gives Tesla a sale and Enterprise some income, but it is a rather round-about relationship.
So much for the previously touted policy of "Everyone gets a P100D."

Just to clarify. When you pull the stock once you normally get TACC but when you do not have EAP you then just get CC. And instead of a BLUE CIRCLE around the SPEED you get a WHITE CIRCLE around the SPEED. I assume the Auto Steer is not there.

I pulled the stock and noticed it was white when engaged.

• Helpful
Reactions: JPUConn
yeah same letdown here - new Model S loaner from Costa mesa but an enterprise rent a car. No TACC or EAP - just regular boring cruise. What a letdown and sad to see as the car has all the cameras there just software disabled. No fun in rush hour traffic * sigh *

If a vehicle doesn't have EAP (and thus TACC) enabled, does its display in the dash still track traffic?

TACC-only.jpg

If it does, I do think Tesla should change its software to not do this. It sends the wrong message to the driver. If it doesn't then I think this is solely on the driver. Even with my TACC enabled car, every single time I engage TACC I check to see it can actually see the car in front of me. Seems like the prudent thing to do.

If a vehicle doesn't have EAP (and thus TACC) enabled, does its display in the dash still track traffic?

TACC-only.jpg

If it does, I do think Tesla should change its software to not do this. It sends the wrong message to the driver. If it doesn't then I think this is solely on the driver. Even with my TACC enabled car, every single time I engage TACC I check to see it can actually see the car in front of me. Seems like the prudent thing to do.

yeah it shows the traffic which is a real bummer and tease. I'm getting my own car back tomorrow whew.

This is exactly why Tesla does not allow people with EAP to have only regular cruise control, but TACC. I remember a guy on the forums last year complaining wildly about this.

Imagine forgetting u turned off TACC and is using regular cruise control when u suddenly slam into something. lawsuits waiting to happen.