Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: We can finally rename, add & delete key cards!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great idea! So, I just tried the following cards:
  • U.S. Passport ID Card
  • NEXUS ID Card
  • WA State Enhanced DL
  • Random Sheraton-branded Card
  • Random Westin-branded Card
  • ORCA (Seattle Mass Transit)
  • Oyster (London Mass Transit)
  • Octopus (HKG Mass Transit)
  • Suica (Japan Mass Transit)
  • EasyCard (Taiwan Mass Transit)
  • EPIC Ski Pass Card
  • GoodToGo FLEX Pass (Toll Pass... Hey... No harm in trying.)
  • Bunch of random work keycards...
No love from any of them.

Why do you have Nexus instead of Global Entry?

Why do you have Nexus instead of Global Entry?

NEXUS includes Global Entry. (And it's cheaper.) Plus I commute to Canada on a weekly basis, so being able to use the NEXUS lanes both ways is a huge plus. (Global Entry would allow me access to ingress the U.S. on NEXUS lanes, but not into Canada).

EDIT: I've used NEXUS for almost a decade. Works with TSA PreCheck and just fine for Global Entry kiosks at U.S. airports. (Even works fine on U.S.-Canada ferry crossings). The only privacy downside is Canada has my iris biometrics where U.S. only requires the standard fingerprints.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MXWing
To remove a key card
1. Press the trash icon next to the key card you want to remove.
2. The screen will prompt you to place a key card by the cup holders. DO PLACE THE KEY YOU WANT TO DELETE THERE.
3. Place a DIFFERENT key card by the cup holders. This will remove the key card identified in Step 1.
4. You will get a notification on the phone app to let you know a key was removed.

Step 3 protects you from removing all your key cards, but step 2 means you cannot remove a card if it lost or stolen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eno Deb
Step 3 protects you from removing all your key cards, but step 2 means you cannot remove a card if it lost or stolen.

Having actually done this- step 2 doesn't exist

When I took delivery I only got 1 card- they had lost the 2nd.

I deleted the never-delivered key card by hitting the trash icon, then putting a working keycard by the cup holders.

Yeah. I think the scenario that needs to be tested is if you only have a single working keycard and it's the only keycard in the system, and then you lost it. How would you remove the last keycard from the system? And you need an active keycard to add a second keycard, I think? So you're at a chicken-and-egg issue potentially.

Yeah. I think the scenario that needs to be tested is if you only have a single working keycard and it's the only keycard in the system, and then you lost it. How would you remove the last keycard from the system? And you need an active keycard to add a second keycard, I think? So you're at a chicken-and-egg issue potentially.

You'd probably need to go to an SC or have a ranger come out and add a new card (which is how it worked before this latest update)

Reactions: Kermee
Ideally you never want to get into that situation. I store one card permanently in a secure place. If you use more than one card daily, just get extra cards so you never have to use the first one except in an emergency.

Maybe- but then step 3 doesn't make any sense.

Either way you read it it suggests you need to scan two different key cards to delete a card, and that's not correct.

Step 2 is the screen prompting you, step 3 is placing the card. It is poorly written and should just be one step.

Once prompted by the screen, place a different key card (not the one being deleted) by the cupholder.

Great idea! So, I just tried the following cards:
  • U.S. Passport ID Card
  • NEXUS ID Card
  • WA State Enhanced DL
  • Random Sheraton-branded Card
  • Random Westin-branded Card
  • ORCA (Seattle Mass Transit)
  • Oyster (London Mass Transit)
  • Octopus (HKG Mass Transit)
  • Suica (Japan Mass Transit)
  • EasyCard (Taiwan Mass Transit)
  • EPIC Ski Pass Card
  • GoodToGo FLEX Pass (Toll Pass... Hey... No harm in trying.)
  • Bunch of random work keycards...
No love from any of them.
=============
Kermee-
The fact that you can NOT replicate a Tesla Key Card on your own is good for all of us!
What are you saving? $10-$15?

IF this card self-"programming" feature will be available, every little thief will find a way to do it and you may find yourself short of $50,000 and not just $15!

=============
Kermee-
The fact that you can NOT replicate a Tesla Key Card on your own is good for all of us!
What are you saving? $10-$15?

IF this card self-"programming" feature will be available, every little thief will find a way to do it and you may find yourself short of $50,000 and not just $15!

It's not a matter of saving $10, there are other benefits for being able to program different RFID cards. My watch has RFID, if I could use that, I could leave the Tesla card (and my phone) at home and just get in and drive with my watch. There are also RFID rings and bracelets you can purchase. This scenario is great when you are out exercising and don't want to be carrying your phone and your wallet.

As far as theft, you still need to have an active card to program a new card. It wouldn't be hard for a thief to acquire a Tesla card (or the fob) - the ability to use any RFID vs just a Tesla one doesn't really change your concern.