Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pumping gas is HARD!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, so we drove the Prius to the gas station and I got out to fill up the car and the gas can. Do you have any idea how hard it is???

First you got to select the right nozzle.
Then lift it off the post and select the grade of gas you want.
Then you have to remember that you need to go back into the car and open the gas tank cover.
Then you have to actually unscrew the tank cover to you can put in the nozzle.
Once you do all of that, you actually have to stand there and hold the bloody nozzle and maintain your grip so it'll actually pump the gas.

It is exhausting!!!
You must be related to this guy, who wrote this classic article way back in 2015 - it was way ahead of it's time!

I switched to EV since 2016-never been to a gas station. You need to switch your snow blower into Electric one-few weeks ago my neighbor turn on his gas snow blower it's insanely stinky but he seemed Okay -may be driving & living with gas chocked his brain already.
Everything electric will not solve everything. Electric snow blower is useless when you get more than an inch of snow.

Reactions: kayak1
It's been about 2 years or so since I was at a gas station. However, we'd run out of gas for the snow throwers and so needed to get more for the next storm.
My wife's Prius was finally below 1/2 of a tank. Turns out that if you use the EV for around town and with a pandemic, not going to as many dog agility matches, she'd only driven about 2,000 miles in the last year!

Anyway, so we drove the Prius to the gas station and I got out to fill up the car and the gas can. Do you have any idea how hard it is???

First you got to select the right nozzle.
Then lift it off the post and select the grade of gas you want.
Then you have to remember that you need to go back into the car and open the gas tank cover.
Then you have to actually unscrew the tank cover to you can put in the nozzle.
Once you do all of that, you actually have to stand there and hold the bloody nozzle and maintain your grip so it'll actually pump the gas.

It is exhausting!!!

Then, once that stops, I got the nozzle into the gas can, and filled up that (roughly 2.5 gallons), while bent over (as the can needs to stay on the ground) and hold the silly nozzle. Finally it clicked off.
I put the nozzle back into the proper tray on the pump.
Closed up the gas can and put it in the back of the car and got in. My wife then asked for the receipt!
Forgotten that part.
Got back out of the car, but the pump was no longer wanting to print the receipt, however I noticed that the gas tank cover and tank cover were still sticking out,
Oops, forgot to do that also. This was getting to be a LOT of work. How do people stand for this?
It is exhausting!!!
No chance to stretch and relax for a few minutes.
So happy with my Y choice now!

You are breaking my heart!!! Doesn't that really heavy Supercharger connector get to you too???

I switched to EV since 2016-never been to a gas station. You need to switch your snow blower into Electric one-few weeks ago my neighbor turn on his gas snow blower it's insanely stinky but he seemed Okay -may be driving & living with gas chocked his brain already.
It's gotten to the point where I think I might let my gardener go if he doesn't switch to EV soon. The noise is well annoying and it's a much better proposition for him/them as a business. It's not gotten real yet but it's in the back of my mind.

It's gotten to the point where I think I might let my gardener go if he doesn't switch to EV soon. The noise is well annoying and it's a much better proposition for him/them as a business. It's not gotten real yet but it's in the back of my mind.
I recently became a board member of my neighborhood's HOA, and I'll be pushing them to use a landscape service that uses electric equipment. Gas leaf blowers are a crime against humanity.

No longer true. This tackled two feet of snow last winter. Holding up fine this winter. I also bought the corresponding mower so I have two batteries, but rarely need more than one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-...ric-Snow-Blower-1-Battery-Included/1001045972
Doesn't work with New England wet snow (deep snow), plow more often? Nope, not in 40 kts of wind - as much as I hate my gas snow blower, electric is not there yet.

Someone else posted about outboards - I too am considering the e-propulsion 1kw model (to use when the 15hp 2-stroke pollution maker is not needed - 95% of the time).

New Jersey is now the only state where an attendant will do all of that for you. It is illegal to pump your own gas here.
I believe Oregon also has the same law, requiring an attendant to pump your gas for you.

They did have that law two years ago, when my son attended his final year at U. of Oregon... not sure if they've gotten rid of it.

I really liked being able to remain in the car as the attendant pumped my gas! (It provides jobs for students and youth)

There are YouTube videos of 2 stage Ego dual battery snow blowers getting the job done in more than a foot of snow. Pricy but you can use the battery in mowers etc.

Yup. My neighbor has one. She did her driveway (very long), the neighbothood sidewalks, and then helped carve out more of the street in the last storm, which was 6 or more inches, and heavy. The two large batteries are also used in their lawn mower. Electric is good now, and still getting better.

I'd love to use one too, but our driveways are gravel, and using snow blowers on that stuff, well, there would be consequences.

I believe Oregon also has the same law, requiring an attendant to pump your gas for you.

They did have that law two years ago, when my son attended his final year at U. of Oregon... not sure if they've gotten rid of it.

I really liked being able to remain in the car as the attendant pumped my gas! (It provides jobs for students and youth)
Yep. It's still the case. It was pretty nice actually.

No longer true. This tackled two feet of snow last winter. Holding up fine this winter. I also bought the corresponding mower so I have two batteries, but rarely need more than one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-...ric-Snow-Blower-1-Battery-Included/1001045972
I agree, with personal experience. I've moved about 8-10 inches of snow with my EGO-branded option of this Chervon-manufactured snowblower.

In fact, this particular snowblower design doesn't really work well enough to justify its use when there's less than 2 inches of snow to throw...

It's been about 2 years or so since I was at a gas station...
My wife's Prius was finally below 1/2 of a tank.
So happy with my Y choice now!
LOL, I feel like I was reading something I wrote. I have an MY that we drove literally 99% of the time. And my wife has a Prius that she doesn't want to give up yet. Since we got the MY, her Prius is seeing about 20 mi/month, and the occasional drive to the airport since I don't want to park my MY there for out-of-town trips. with its 600 mi/tank range it's been a year since I filled up the Prius. But on my traveling where I need to rent a car, I've always had to fill up at the end so that hassle is still very familiar.

I guess MY + Prius is not a rare combination for a Tesla household.

Reactions: Puma2020
You must be related to this guy, who wrote this classic article way back in 2015 - it was way ahead of it's time!

This article is genius! I can't stop laughing halfway through, especially the part about asking the dealer how much it is to fill up at home and how many free gas stations are there. This is probably true in a parallel universe in the multiverse.

Reactions: Johnny Vector