TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ChadS, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

#121 Ulmo, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    In my Model S 60D (software limited 75) with my heating and driving habits and usual terrain, I get "slightly better than one mile per percent". That's about 80% of the "realistic" figure you quoted above.

I want to remember to come and look at this thread and similar threads next time I prepare for a long journey, to experiment with optimum driving speeds.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Hi Ulmo. Do I understand you to say that you average just over 100 miles of range per full charge, or about 50% of EPA?

Of course that's possible; Car and Driver took a Prius around a test track and got 18mpg out of a 48mpg-rated car. It just is not common; in fact in over 150k of driving I have never seen a single trip anywhere near that bad. (Our long-term average is about 10% under EPA). It would be interesting to learn more about your typical driving conditions if you are willing to share.

Perhaps you take really short trips in cold weather, so the initial battery/cabin warming is having an oversized effect on the numbers. I don't even check the numbers on really short trips for that reason (well, that plus the fact that with a really short trip I am not worried about range), so it's entirely possible I have taken a short 50%-of-EPA trip, even though I don't average anywhere near that.

3. majcina

majcina Member

I'm guessing @Ulmo drives uphill both ways in snow. ;)