Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had collection booked for next Tuesday but got a text today delaying by a day due to the funeral & BH on Monday. Completely understand but it does delay the agony of waiting by another day!
I had a similar thing, I was due to collect on Tuesday but that has now moved to Wednesday, presumably they are trying to shuffle people back to make space for the Monday people.

I have had the car for 3 weeks now and covered 800 miles so I wanted to give my intial impressions for the car I never really wanted. I had never driven or been in a Tesla prior to my delivery so I will start off by goging through the things people are saying are not that great.

Central screen and no buttons is not an issue. Having the speedo on the screen is fine and using the screen is OK plus the voice control works quite well. I did want to mention that I think there is an added level of complexity because I am right handed driving an RHD car.
Suspension is firm but perfectly fine. In fact I actually like the fact its firm and gives me the impression of good body control.
Build quality is OK and for me as expected at the price point.

Beyond the above, I am really enjoying the car and having gone electric it is a revelation. The phone key is great and makes things more seamlesss, you just open the door and off you go. The seating psoition is good, with good visibility and excellent adjustability. I particularly like the easy entry and memory fucntions which takes away the hassle if more than driver is using the car (never had this on any of my previous cars). Driving is great, the power is good and although I am not blown away, roundabouts and merging onto dual carriageways/motorways are so much easier with the instant acceleration. NVH I find is quite good, yes it could be improved but I am satisfied. Standard auto-pilot is a mixed bag. The adpative cruise works fine, especially on the motorway, but in stop start traffic it is a bit jerky and I can't seem to get it to adjust speed based on traffic signs. I can see it does read the signs but if it is set to 50, for example, when entering a 30, although I can see it knows it is in a 30 it will keep going 50. Auto-steer works well enough but the jury is out, I'll continue to experiment with it. The sound system is good but I do wish I had the premium audio. The lights are bright and give good visibility and havent had much opportunity to use the auto-high beam. I do find that the lights come on too early (i.e. when there is still enough light). Most other cars havent switched on but the auto lights on the M3 are on. Corenring lights I miss, probably becuase I don't have any fogs on the standard version.
Charging is fine at home, I have an Ohme charger which does the job, I used a supercharger once which was completely seamless. I have rokced-up to a couple of non-superchargers only to find them full or offline.

Therfore, so far so good and although I happened upon this car, I am glad to be driving.

Daytime running lights should be on by default at all times (research has shown it reduces incidents with 5-15%). Dipped headlights should be on in reduced visibility, e.g. heavy rainfall, dusk, through tunnels.. and as far as I know have little negative effect when used during the day.. so maybe works as intended?

Loving the driving experience so far. Missing the birds-eye view camera that I had on my Audi as well as active matrix headlights but hopefully Elon will decide to activate them one day.

The phone integration is a bit basic - does anyone know how to increase the volume of the ringtone as I missed a call because I didn’t hear it and the notification pops up at the bottom of the screen is easy to miss?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky750
Finally collected it! They had put it on charge for us so was 89% SOC on collection which was a nice touch considering the balls up we had picking it up. No issues - was raining on collection so not many photos. Paintwork looks good, panel gaps are fab, no interior issues. Everything works as it should. Had 7 miles on the odometer. Supercharged to get home purely as a milestone!!! Suspension feels better than we remember from test drive way back in March!! The 6 month wait was worth it 😊
EE53E1B4-340D-4A34-96D3-7F784BD84763.jpeg
Hope everyone else’s collections go hiccup free.

Attachments

• 1D9CFE8B-DB00-4889-96AC-92D8B7EEB930.jpeg
    1D9CFE8B-DB00-4889-96AC-92D8B7EEB930.jpeg
    584.2 KB · Views: 39
Apologies to everyone, got the car last week but got caught in the exhilarating Tesla vortex and couldn't find the time to go back on the forum for the initial impression!

Well, it's finally here... couldn't really believe it!
IMG_0733.jpeg

Nothing major that I could find on collection... apart from a mini air bubble on the rear door/wheel arch ppt that I was able to get rid of myself.
5 mins after I took collection, a huge downpour started so I had to cut my exterior inspection short and couldn't follow TeslaPrep checklist in full. However I haven't noticed anything major over the weekend apart from a rubber seal coming loose for which I booked a SC appointment.

An impressive number of cars were waiting for collection... if you can't see yours, well, delivery flatbeds were on an unloading frenzy on the adjacent lot!
IMG_0731.jpeg

Car came with 50% battery, 42psi tyres, as I'm sure many mentioned, safety kit, is there, parcel shelf with magnetic fastening too, complete with the UMC and a 7.5m type 2 cable, 128g USB in glovebox and the microfibre cleaning cloth.
There is definitely a rubber seal on the hatch now.

However.... I am not *entirely* sure the new suspension is there. It's still firm as ever and you can feel every speed bump in central London, and the worst portions of the M25 are still a nightmare bringing a lot of road noise to the cabin. The positive thing is that the premium seats are really comfortable. Took a long drive over the weekend and got to play a bit with EAP. Still a lot of customisation to do obvs.

Software was on 2022.16, updated to 2022.24 when I came home.

V5C arrived yesterday, so overall a very efficient collection experience.

Don't hesitate to ask me anything!

Loving the driving experience so far. Missing the birds-eye view camera that I had on my Audi as well as active matrix headlights but hopefully Elon will decide to activate them one day.

The phone integration is a bit basic - does anyone know how to increase the volume of the ringtone as I missed a call because I didn’t hear it and the notification pops up at the bottom of the screen is easy to miss?

Exactly the same problem for me, my phone lives on silent because I normally wear an apple watch for work so that alerts me however in the car it doesn't 🤷‍♂️ in my other cars despite the phone on silent it rings through the handsfree when connected to the car but not in the tesla 🤷‍♂️ I'll have to experiment over the weekend

Exactly the same problem for me, my phone lives on silent because I normally wear an apple watch for work so that alerts me however in the car it doesn't 🤷‍♂️ in my other cars despite the phone on silent it rings through the handsfree when connected to the car but not in the tesla 🤷‍♂️ I'll have to experiment over the weekend
Funnily enough thats exactly what's happening - quiet ring tone and my apple watch doesn't alert me in the car, although it works fine everywhere else.

Funnily enough thats exactly what's happening - quiet ring tone and my apple watch doesn't alert me in the car, although it works fine everywhere else.
Have you tried adjusting the volume when the phone is ringing? In my previous few cars the volume control adjusts the current source, whether radio volume, radio traffic reports, sat NAV instructions, phone audio, phone ringtone etc etc

Reactions: Daedalus
Have you tried adjusting the volume when the phone is ringing? In my previous few cars the volume control adjusts the current source, whether radio volume, radio traffic reports, sat NAV instructions, phone audio, phone ringtone etc etc
I confirm that I have a ringtone in the car even when the phone is on silent.

However what I am really missing is the ability to pick up / hang up from the steering wheel buttons. Pressing the touchscreen is dangerous... Time to tweet to Elon...

I confirm that I have a ringtone in the car even when the phone is on silent.

However what I am really missing is the ability to pick up / hang up from the steering wheel buttons. Pressing the touchscreen is dangerous... Time to tweet to Elon...
Oh, I thought I’d read the issue was the phone wasn’t ringing in the car loud enough to hear it as the notification on the screen is small so easily missed.

Voice command to answer a call?

Oh, I thought I’d read the issue was the phone wasn’t ringing in the car loud enough to hear it as the notification on the screen is small so easily missed.

Voice command to answer a call?
Sorry, I'm not the OP. Just mentioning that the issue he reported doesn't seem to occur for me.
And then for the separate issue of buttons, what would seem more natural to me is to press the voice command button to pick up... It's already the case to reply to text messages, so I'm wondering why it isn't working for calls...

Sorry, I'm not the OP. Just mentioning that the issue he reported doesn't seem to occur for me.
And then for the separate issue of buttons, what would seem more natural to me is to press the voice command button to pick up... It's already the case to reply to text messages, so I'm wondering why it isn't working for calls...
I’d never thought answering a phone call in a Tesla would be a problem…

Not got mine yet so can’t try anything, I’ve just looked online and apparently the S/X allow you to answer a call from the steering wheel controls, but this function has been removed from 3/Y. This seems mad so yes, as a previous poster said, time to get onto Elon….

Reactions: Daedalus
I’d never thought answering a phone call in a Tesla would be a problem…

Not got mine yet so can’t try anything, I’ve just looked online and apparently the S/X allow you to answer a call from the steering wheel controls, but this function has been removed from 3/Y. This seems mad so yes, as a previous poster said, time to get onto Elon….
Yes, deceiving experience having to let my left hand off the steering wheel, stop looking at the road and aim at the mini green phone on the bottom right corner... surely there should be a safer way to do so.. Surprised I didn't came across this sooner on the forums...

Reactions: Markee68